(Topic ID: 226631)

Classic Arcades, Overlay Disaster- and Solutions?

By billsacto

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 87 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by trumpy
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0096 (resized).JPG
IMG_0017 (resized).JPG
IMG_0011 (resized).JPG
IMG_0009 (resized).JPG
IMG_0005 (resized).JPG
20180722_105549 (resized).jpg
20180822_103503 (resized).jpg
20180822_085837 (resized).jpg
HSsmall (resized).jpg
IMG_8488 (resized).JPG
IMG_8487 (resized).JPG
IMG_8486 (resized).JPG
IMG_8362 (resized).JPG
IMG_8268 (resized).JPG
Rustoluem Laquer (resized).jpg
20181113_211837 (resized).jpg
There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

Hey Pin Heads,

I did it! I bought an overlay from Classic Arcades, meticulously took my time to install it perfectly and then watched as it slowly turned into "crap"!

Bubbles, wrinkles, puckers, whatever you want to call it, we can agree- it sucks.

Take a look....

20180928_221216.jpg20180928_221216.jpg20180928_223609.jpg20180928_223609.jpg20181001_105957.jpg20181001_105957.jpg20181001_110024.jpg20181001_110024.jpg20181001_110054.jpg20181001_110054.jpg20181001_110251.jpg20181001_110251.jpg20181001_110305.jpg20181001_110305.jpg20181001_110328.jpg20181001_110328.jpg

So I decided to call Jeff at Class Arcades to discuss what happened. He had no solutions, but offered to send me a new overlay.

But why bother! I don't really expect to get different results. There is something clearly wrong with the overlays from Classic Arcades. I've read too many stories similar to mine.

So I thought if I want a different result, got to do something different- right?

Two ideas I have are:

1. Install the overlay and then put a thick layer of Mylar over the top. The thinking is that it if the overlay is sandwiched between the wood substrate and a thick Mylar sheet, the overlay won't be able to pucker up. Most Mylar is 3 mil and that seemed a bit too thin to me. I was looking for Mylar around for 8 to 20 mil, but struck out. I only looked online and making calls for a few hours but no one seemed to have thicker Mylar.

2. I came across a company that manufactures Mylar (and many other products). I talked to their engineering director and he suggested another solution. They sell a commercial grade 2.0 mil thick sheets of high performance acrylic pressure sensitive adhesive. Both sides have adhesive. Both sides are peel and stick. He strongly believes that if I sandwich this product between the wooden play field and the overlay that it will adhere it so tightly that It won't lift at all.

The name of the product is: V-501 high performance acrylic pressure sensitive adhesive

When I receive the product, I plan to test it on several sections of the old overlay.

I'm interested if any of you folks have any insights into either approach, comments, or suggestions.

#2 5 years ago

How did you prep the PF before installing the overlay? I'm not a fan of their stuff but the lack of adhesion could be a prep issue.

#3 5 years ago

how long did you let it dry/cure before re-populating the pf?

#5 5 years ago

Preparation:

1. Made sure all the inserts were glued in and flat as I could make them.
2. Sanded play field bare of course. I think I finished up with around 400 grit sand paper.
3. Two light coats of Krylon Triple Thick.
4. 24 Hour cure
5. Light sand to smooth.
6. Installed overlay and wetted during installation with Ivory (original). About 1 tablespoon in a spray bottle.

Overlay Cure Time:

I honestly don't remember how long I waited for sure. But it was maybe just 24 hours ish, and not a whole lot longer. Maybe two days? However, Jeff never said anything about cure time? I guess in retrospect, I should have waited a week or so....

Anyway, a few puckers showed up as play field was reassembled. Primarily around the slingshot stand offs. But the majority of the play field looked perfect for at least several days. Slowly over the next few weeks, puckers began appearing.

#7 5 years ago

Did you press all of the fluid out with a credit card after you laid it down?

Some vinyl has tiny vent holes in it (millions) it could be possible that the fluid underneath never left due to the triple thick???

Just a guess ... Vinyl sucks and I work with it all the time.

EDIT .... I think the triple thick was still gassing off and affected the adhesive on the vinyl.... I always wait 3 days after any paint is on a wall before I put any type of adhesive on it ..... you need vid1900 to chime in on this.

#8 5 years ago

I had the same thing happen to a FG overlay I purchased. In your case and mine most likely the clear coat was not given enough time to cure and formed bubbles under the overlay due to degaussing of the clear. I’ve read comments that it takes several months for clear coat to fully cure, not sure if it’s true but every time I see one of these posts pop we read that the overlay was applied hours or a few days after the clear was sprayed.

#9 5 years ago

Mylar Overlay: RCA1, that Mylar overlay is on the right track for sure, but I was think of covering all areas including where screws penetrate the surface. I.E. the whole thing has to be held in place.

Squeegee: Jasonp, I didn't want to use a credit card for fear of damaging the soft vinyl, so I squeeqeed with a rubber shower type squeegee.

#10 5 years ago

Clear Coat Out Gassing: Andy, not sure about out gassing- maybe? But that Krylon Triple thick goes down fairly thin and "seems" to dry out really fast. Their web site says it dries in 4 hours, full cure in 24 hours.

#11 5 years ago

So regarding surface cure times, and effect on adhesion..

Long after the overlay was installed- week or more, is when much of the puckering occurred. Some of it was directly in the middle of the play field where no play field parts were attached and potentially affecting the overlay. That's the part I don't understand...

Here's a couple of areas of the play field that puckered long after the overlay was installed- at least a week, probably longer.

20181004_173808 (resized).jpg20181004_173808 (resized).jpg20181004_173457 (resized).jpg20181004_173457 (resized).jpg20181004_173232 (resized).jpg20181004_173232 (resized).jpg20181004_173704 (resized).jpg20181004_173704 (resized).jpg

#12 5 years ago

Is the triple thick an officially sanctioned/necessary step in prepping the playfield before applying the decal? I've never heard of doing that before, to be honest. I'm thinking that there's something incongruent about the adhesive sticking properly to the triple thick layer, keeping the overlay from really grabbing onto the playfield.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Is the triple thick an officially sanctioned/necessary step in prepping the playfield before applying the decal? I've never heard of doing that before, to be honest. I'm thinking that there's something incongruent about the adhesive sticking properly to the triple thick layer, keeping the overlay from really grabbing onto the playfield.

Or maybe a chemical reaction between triple thick & vinyl? I understand clearing a playfield before putting down an overlay but triple thick doesn't seem like it would be the best clear for this. Thin layers of a good clear seem to make more sense than something like triple thick in this case?

#14 5 years ago

Just to throw out some thoughts, Axalta recommends 24 to 72 hours after applying clearcoat before applying decals. My experience is that spray can products without hardener dry slower then an activated product. I've seen decals that were put on sooner wrinkle but not that bad. Curious if you push those wrinkles with a spreader do they move? Some people use a syringe to puncture and draw air out. Or just puncture with a razor blade and push with a spreader. I'm not thinking that you could save it but maybe help you figure out what you're dealing with.

#15 5 years ago

I am finishing up a Harlem with Classic Arcades overlay. Pf was junk, so I filled cupped inserts with 2PAC and sanded and cleared the entire thing. Let it cure for a week. Applied overlay, and let it set for 1 week. Applied light coat of auto clear, and let cure for 4 days, repeated that 3 more times. I have a couple spots at inserts I am not thrilled with, but overall, looks pretty damn good. I can get pics tomorrow.

#16 5 years ago

Jjsomooth,

So sounds like you had better results than I did that's for sure!

What kind of clear did you use? How could you be sure it was going to melt the overlay? After you clear coated, did you sand it at all? Any other prep before you put the overlay down? Did you put the overlay down dry or wet?

Sorry to barrage you with questions!

Thanks for the input!

#17 5 years ago

I have used jeffs overlays before with 2pac down then overlay applied with rapid tac(wet) then cleared with 2pac mist first coat then flood next coats and no issues

#18 5 years ago

Sorry OP but I think it's unfair to be blaming Classic Arcades on this one. It's pretty obvious you rushed this project and started repopulating the playfield without letting the overlay adhere properly. Look at the twists and crimps in your pics. While their stuff isn't the best for collector quality restores it's def better than nothing at all. I've used plenty of their vinyl print products with no issue.

20181005_012157 (resized).png20181005_012157 (resized).png20181005_012236 (resized).png20181005_012236 (resized).png
#19 5 years ago

Looks like the posts twisted as you tightened them making the overlay wrinkle. I have used triple thick to seal a back glass but wouldnt use it on a playfield, it probably takes weeks to harden cause its out of a rattle can. There is a clearcoat in a can that alot of guys on here use I believe its (spraymax) it has a seal you brake when you use it before shaking and makes it good for a one time use, for best results I would use that or if you have a spray gun use automotive clear. You could always contact the hardtop guys and beg them to make one for your title.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from billsacto:

6. Installed overlay and wetted during installation with Ivory (original). About 1 tablespoon in a spray bottle.

This is the problem. You gotta apply bone dry. Just make sure you’re lined up first by laying out and aligning the inserts with a light under the playfield. Peel off backing and wipe down in sections. Have a friend help.

From there, I burn all the holes with a soldering iron. Then scuff, clean and clear coat over.
Also, cut off that damn fake wood! Just apply the art.

#21 5 years ago

Yeah, I think u rushed it.
I also put mine down wet, you almost have to, cause the registration isn't perfect. You kinda have to be able to move it to find a happy medium.
I used shop grade automotive clear. Definitely light first coat on top of overlay, or u will melt it.

15387460836551117620279 (resized).jpg15387460836551117620279 (resized).jpg
#22 5 years ago

You can see where registration is off here.

15387461138891124728731 (resized).jpg15387461138891124728731 (resized).jpg
#23 5 years ago

looks like Krylon reacted with the adhesive on the vinyl

#24 5 years ago

I removed all the cheesy faux wood grain, and let the wood show. My goal was to make it very difficult to see this is an overlay, and I did ok.
Not perfect, but ok.

1538746303852528837550 (resized).jpg1538746303852528837550 (resized).jpg
#25 5 years ago

This is what I use

1538746946609420362852 (resized).jpg1538746946609420362852 (resized).jpg
#26 5 years ago

I did an overlay on my Xenon, with the same results, laid down beautifully and looked great.
let is sit overnight, and got the same problems your showing seems like it adhered best where
there were little or no clear inserts, where there were multiple inserts that were close to each other
is where it bubbled up and just wouldn't stay down.
I let my PF sit for 1 week, added very heavy weights on top of the area that wouldn't stay flat, it helped
but ended up with wrinkles, to smooth out the wrinkles I ended having to get a PF protector just to make it playable.

#27 5 years ago

I have done a few overlays and my process is different.
Sand the pf to prep it for several coats of oil base Varathane. Do not use any water base coatings. It doesn't matter if it's gloss or semi gloss. After the Varathane has fully dried you want to scuff it with 400 grit sand paper by hand. This will give your adhesive something to bite to. Don't use use dish soap to help position the overlay. It will leave residue after the water evaporates. Use glass cleaner windex or the purple stuff. Take your time and make sure the clear coat is dry. Shooter lanes always seem to be a problem with lifting after a few weeks. I use super glue on the shooter lanes. You have to be careful not to get it on your fingers or the top of the overlay. Use it sparingly. Lay wax paper over the lane before you press it down to conform to taper.
As for Triple Thick I have never had good results with it. I did hear years ago the formula was changed. That could be a just a rumor. Back in the days Triple thick was being used for BG repairs then all of sudden guys quite using it.

#28 5 years ago

Guys,

Fantastic input!

The ground breaking observation I have at this point is that many of you have different approaches, that vary significantly.

However, I don't remember being provided any specific guidance (directions) from Jeff at Classic Arcades. I certainly would not have used Triple Thick if Jeff had directed me to use Automotive Clear Coat! I also would have remembered directions to clear over the top of the play field. Also no mention of waiting X hours or days after install before reassembly. I would have remember clear directions like that,

Don't get me wrong guys, I'm definitely NOT criticizing any of you, or saying your processes are not a good path to success. I'm pointing out that the supplier should provide clear directions with appropriate steps in order to get a successful outcome. How is anyone supposed to guess at the correct installation method? Is it it proprietary? Need to know? I don't believe I got clear directions with the types of steps we are discussing here from Classic Arcades. But frankly, I'm not 100% sure if he even provided any directions? I have an email into Jeff asking for directions for installation of his overlay. If any of you have those, please paste them in here for our discussion. Those would be key in our discussion as well. But it appears to me that if the steps outlined by many of you here are required, then Jeff has NOT provided sufficient input, i.e. directions to install his overlay.

So again, that's kind of the goal of this discussion: To build "Best Know Methods" for installing a Pinball Overlay.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from billsacto:

Guys,
Fantastic input!
The ground breaking observation I have at this point is that many of you have different approaches, that vary significantly.
However, I don't remember being provided any specific guidance (directions) from Jeff at Classic Arcades. I certainly would not have used Triple Thick if Jeff had directed me to use Automotive Clear Coat! I also would have remembered directions to clear over the top of the play field. Also no mention of waiting X hours or days after install before reassembly. I would have remember clear directions like that,
Don't get me wrong guys, I'm definitely NOT criticizing any of you, or saying your processes are not a good path to success. I'm pointing out that the supplier should provide clear directions with appropriate steps in order to get a successful outcome. How is anyone supposed to guess at the correct installation method? Is it it proprietary? Need to know? I don't believe I got clear directions with the types of steps we are discussing here from Classic Arcades. But frankly, I'm not 100% sure if he even provided any directions? I have an email into Jeff asking for directions for installation of his overlay. If any of you have those, please paste them in here for our discussion. Those would be key in our discussion as well. But it appears to me that if the steps outlined by many of you here are required, then Jeff has NOT provided sufficient input, i.e. directions to install his overlay.
So again, that's kind of the goal of this discussion: To build "Best Know Methods" for installing a Pinball Overlay.

Lots of things could have happened differently. Why would you go ahead and apply this overlay without knowing exactly what to do. I could be wrong but I think you jumped into this without doing your homework on how these are actually properly applied. Jeff probably should have included some instructions but you should of ask questions in my opinon and waited for answers.

Get the new decal Jeff is suppling so kindly for free and do this properly.

#30 5 years ago

I don't think anybody gives direction on how to install, I just searched here to figure it out.
I have done 3 of these overlays and must say that my bride of pinbot came out excellent, you couldn't tell.
My Kiss came out fair with very little wrinkling around posts, but my Xenon curled right up
after letting it st.

#31 5 years ago

Rock914,

Agreed, I probably didn't install the overlay correctly, but I did try to look into it online. I found varying methods from user to user. There is no standard method for installing an overlay. You suggest that by additional research, the path would make itself clear. Well it doesn't and that's why we are talking about it here. As I said, I think there is a need to establish "best known methods" for play field overlay installation.

Have you installed one? If so, how did you do it. What are your suggested steps?

#32 5 years ago

So wdennie,

What did you do differently from the one that came out perfectly: Bride of Pinbot,

To the one that failed: Xenon?

#33 5 years ago

I've installed several of Jeff's Overlays (SilverBall Mania & Supersonic) & have done another brand of overlay on my Playboy.

I installed them all dry on fully sanded PF. A LOT of test fitting with lights under the inserts to get them lined up as best you can, often the registration is just not perfect everywhere... & then installed dry. & then they got several fairly heavy coats Spraymax 2K clear coat with several days of cure time in between coats, then wet sand & rubbing compound & then wax. Never had any issues with any of them, several have been on for almost 2 years.

My guess is your issue was installing it wet with the soapy water, or it didn't like the solvents in the triple thick.

My SilverBall actually looks so good, even now that CPR has the PF's avail again, I can't justify replacing this overplayed one, it's just too nice to spend that kind of time/$ to replace.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from billsacto:

So wdennie,
What did you do differently from the one that came out perfectly: Bride of Pinbot,
To the one that failed: Xenon?

Nothing!
I just think they were made differently.
Running you hand over the overlay, BOP was very smooth, and the Kiss and Xenon
had a very distinct texture to it, like different colors printed were thicker.

#35 5 years ago

Looks to me like the vinyl was stretched too in the install and it popped back.

These rarely give great results if not cleared over. Just too delicate and poor bonding

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Looks to me like the vinyl was stretched too in the install and it popped back.
These rarely give great results if not cleared over. Just too delicate and poor bonding

Not in my case, on mine, the insets were lined up good in the middle, little low on the bottom and a little high on the top.
If anything it could of used some shrinking. And I didn't stretch anything, laid it down smooth and even.

#37 5 years ago

flynnibus,

No stretching: Overlay went down really easily. We had the alignment nailed! No pushing or re-positioning was required. So the overlay didn't get stretched at all when it went down. Once it was down, that was it. Squeegeed it off using a small rubber squeegee. Done.

#38 5 years ago

As far as clear over the top:

Classic Arcades definitely didn't say anything about clear over the top, but I like the idea of it. The vinyl is really soft and I was worried about how much the ball would be slowed down. I did read a lot of guys said it definitely changed how the game played, and not in a good way. The clear would definitely be a better surface for game play.

#39 5 years ago

Sorry for not reading every single post in this topic but i did see the first few. You mentioned a tablespoon of soap. I install Vinyl all the time at work on trucks and sea cans. Too much soap is a big adhesion killer!! I used 1 drop or less per spray bottle mix. Too much soap and the decals can still be pushed around if you press and twist even after sitting a few days. I mostly use Windex now as its allows for repositioning easily and sets perfectly overnight.

#40 5 years ago

That's pretty much the only direction I remember Jeff at Classic Arcade gave me: Use original Ivory, about a table spoon in spray bottle. Certainly didn't say a couple of drops. Sounds like he was wrong to suggest it maybe.

I sent Jeff an Email several days ago asking for his directions for installation of his overlay. I'm fairly certain he did not provide any written directions for installation. So far he has not responded...

#41 5 years ago

I use rapidtac, it's the best and doesn't dissolve the adhesive

#42 5 years ago

Done about 14 years ago. Still as good the day it finished.

DSC01092 (resized).JPGDSC01092 (resized).JPG
#43 5 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

I mostly use Windex

Windex has ammonia which is not good for adhesive ....

This is good but pricey ....

Most vinyl guys use a drop or two of Johnson and Johnson Baby Shampoo ... Cheap and Effective...

#44 5 years ago

I'm not here to bash Jeff in anyway. He makes good repos for drop targets and pop bumpers. His overlays are terrible. I put a 8 ball deluxe overlay on and it did same thing. I cleared and waited 2 weeks for it to set up. I then sanded it and it is lifting everywhere. I'm only hoping cpr makes playfield for it. I will be first on list for one. He also told me I didn't have to put clear over it. I think he needs to change the way he is makng them.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from jasonp:

Windex has ammonia which is not good for adhesive ....

Have never had an issue yet. It evaporates faster than soap and water and is used in professional graphic shops. They actually make their own mix with other additives and ammonia in giant weed sprayers for application.

#46 5 years ago

I used a Classic Arcades overlay for my Bally Playboy. Sanded playfield to bare wood then automotive cleared. Gave it a week for drying time before overlay was applied, had never done one before and looked up how on YouTube for a video - dry install, no need for wet if you go slowly. Automotive cleared over the overlay which apparently is not one solid piece on Playboy?? Center key area is a separate piece?? It wrinkled when the clear penetrated the serration line and the key area had to be replaced. 1st time was a learning experience for sure. With an overlay you had better be ready to go with Led's because they don't like the heat generated by incandescent bulbs or it will bubble. Triple thick is not for playfield prep. There may have been a reaction with the glue on the overlay or maybe just bad glue on the overlay but clearly it did not stick!

#47 5 years ago

If you are doing the clearcoat route, lay down clear under the vinyl and over the vinyl. You don't want either side of the vinyl to expand or contract at different rates. Just make sure you spray the first top layer over the vinyl very thin, or it will probably melt.

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from Mark66:

I used a Classic Arcades overlay for my Bally Playboy. Sanded playfield to bare wood then automotive cleared. Gave it a week for drying time before overlay was applied, had never done one before and looked up how on YouTube for a video - dry install, no need for wet if you go slowly. Automotive cleared over the overlay which apparently is not one solid piece on Playboy?? Center key area is a separate piece?? It wrinkled when the clear penetrated the serration line and the key area had to be replaced. 1st time was a learning experience for sure. With an overlay you had better be ready to go with Led's because they don't like the heat generated by incandescent bulbs or it will bubble. Triple thick is not for playfield prep. There may have been a reaction with the glue on the overlay or maybe just bad glue on the overlay but clearly it did not stick!

You're the first person that had any wrinkling with the clear over the top of the overlay. Not sure what the "serration line" is?

Not sure why clear causes problems along a serration line and no where else. What about the edges of the overlay, aren't they similar to a serration line?

How much clear did you put down over the top, i.e. how thick were each of your coats? Is it possible if you go thinner on the first coat, you may be less likely to have wrinkling?

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from billsacto:

You're the first person that had any wrinkling with the clear over the top of the overlay. Not sure what the "serration line" is?
Not sure why clear causes problems along a serration line and no where else. What about the edges of the overlay, aren't they similar to a serration line?
How much clear did you put down over the top, i.e. how thick were each of your coats? Is it possible if you go thinner on the first coat, you may be less likely to have wrinkling?

Well , I paid to have the clear done on the PF. It did not wrinkle on the edges at all but it did in the center "key" area of the overlay and had to put down another key center section and reclear. In other words the overlay was not one continuous piece apparently. Also should be noted that any significant amount of heat on that overlay once applied, from above or below (lighting) it most likely will start to bubble up. I was advised to go LEd's for this reason. I have not had a problem since completion other than a slightly wavy finish in the center area which does not seem to affect game play at all.

1 week later
#50 5 years ago

I just finished reading this guy's directions (below link), on applying an overlay. He used the water/soap method, but did not clear coat the overlay afterwards. However, his directions on overlay prep seemed good: Sand playfield, apply polyurethane. Wait at least two weeks, then apply the overlay.

Honestly though, after reading every post on this thread, I'm not sold on the water/soap method of applying it. I'm going to be doing one of these next month, so I will keep on reading until then. Thanks for starting this thread.

http://homepinballrepair.com/index.php/pinball-playfield-restoration-eight-ball-deluxe/

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
New Brighton, PA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gilbert, AZ
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Ana, CA
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/classic-arcades-overlay-disaster-and-solutions?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.