• Latest reply 4 years ago by zacaj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0721190804 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hi everyone, had a class of 1812 for a few months now. When i first got it i felt the flippers were pretty good but after some issues which required me to re-adjust them - have not felt they have ever felt very effective and one of the flippers keeps getting stuck due to how the coil is positioning with the plunger. No amount of re-adjsuting seems to get the right result.

not sure if I am a big fan of the flipper mechs in this and was thinking of just replacing it with a Williams style - is this possible and would anyone have a suggestion on what model/coil to use ?

#2 4 years ago

I've done it on the upper flipper of a star gate. Mostly a drop in replacement as long as the spacing works. Buy a new mech from pbl with an high voltage eos switch. The coil I used is a bit too strong though, still need to find the proper strength.

1 week later
#3 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I've done it on the upper flipper of a star gate. Mostly a drop in replacement as long as the spacing works. Buy a new mech from pbl with an high voltage eos switch. The coil I used is a bit too strong though, still need to find the proper strength.</blockquote

Yeah was going to just get 2 new mechs but not really sure what model and coil would best be suited. was hoping to get a specific suggestion - the gottleib flipper mechs alwasy seem to stick and catch - very frustrating!

#4 4 years ago

Yeah was going to just get 2 new mechs but not really sure what model and coil would best be suited. was hoping to get a specific suggestion - the gottleib flipper mechs alwasy seem to stick and catch - very frustrating!

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from RaoulJuke:

Just to extend on this, i would prefer an alternative on the stronger than side, not weaker

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from RaoulJuke:

Just to extend on this, i would prefer an alternative on the stronger than side, not weaker

I used an FL-11630, and it seemed stronger than the original gottlieb mechs, but not so much that I thought it was dangerous or anything.

It's hard to do an exact comparison as the size of the coils is different. Class of 1812 and Stargate use a A-25959 which should be 3.85ohms. The strongest williams coil (11629) is 4 ohms, and an 11630 is 4.7. But they're longer, so I think that gives them more power overall.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I used an FL-11630, and it seemed stronger than the original gottlieb mechs, but not so much that I thought it was dangerous or anything.
It's hard to do an exact comparison as the size of the coils is different. Class of 1812 and Stargate use a A-25959 which should be 3.85ohms. The strongest williams coil (11629) is 4 ohms, and an 11630 is 4.7. But they're longer, so I think that gives them more power overall.

I like the FL-11630 coils, i use them on a number of my machines and i always thing they feel strong and consistent - Funhouse, Banzai Run, Getaway, Cyclone. Cyclone is a good example, as it 2 ramp set up similar to Class of , perhaps the slightly weaker FL-1129?

The FL-11630 coil is definitely much bigger than the A-25959 - so it doesn't fit into the Gottlieb style mech. I would need to drop in a different mech. Am i right to assume then that all i need to to is ensure the Williams style mech fits on the playfield space available?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-15205-R

#9 4 years ago

The Gottlieb flipper mechs are stronger flippers than Williams. If yours aren't working, then they are put together incorrectly or are in need of a rebuild. Here is a picture of my 1812 flippers. I hope this helps.

You might have a mushroomed plunger. I usually just grind them down and put the back in the game. Cost for grinding flipper plunger = $0.

0721190804 (resized).jpg0721190804 (resized).jpg

#10 4 years ago

Don't swap them. Rebuild the ones you have and make sure the alignment is proper. The Gottlieb mechs have a far greater range of travel than the Williams mechs.

One of the most satisfying shots on that game is backhanding the left ramp repeatedly during multiball. Not sure if that is possible with different mechs.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

The Gottlieb flipper mechs are stronger flippers than Williams. If yours aren't working, then they are put together incorrectly or are in need of a rebuild. Here is a picture of my 1812 flippers. I hope this helps.
You might have a mushroomed plunger. I usually just grind them down and put the back in the game. Cost for grinding flipper plunger = $0.
[quoted image]

They are nowhere close to as powerful, even with the extended range. It's not even close. I replaced a freshly rebuilt mech with a Williams and the difference was dramatic.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/class-of-1812-william-flipper-mech-alternative-suggestion-required and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.