(Topic ID: 196366)

Class of 1812 - lights out on playfield/backglass & missing sounds.

By the4horse

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by amkoepfer
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG20170831192351 (resized).jpg
IMG20170831202141 (resized).jpg
150414172390362462151 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider the4horse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Hi.
I've checked all the fuses and they're fine but the lights under all the playfield plastics are out during a game. Lights under the playfield all work perfectly and the flasher bulbs on the playfield also light up during multiball. Also most bulbs on backglass out except for flashers.
Any help would be appreciated to pin this down. Oh and the bulbs are okay.
Also I don't get a lot of the callouts, only the main music and a few messed up sounds and the bat sounds. At the start of a ball the teeth let out burps instead of saying the correct phrase.
Would it most likely be the sound roms? If so who sells these?
Thanks.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

With power off. I would reseat the ribbon cables.

I re-seated the connectors and most ribbon cables as well as the rom chips but no joy. I'm not sure how to remove the ribbon cable between the two sound boards without damaging it. I get different call-outs now and also some phrases out of their usual order.
I also checked the relays in the lower cabinet as the tilt relay can cause no GI if switches aren't adjusted correctly.

#4 6 years ago

Anyone know which wires / connector control the bulbs under the playfield plastics?? Is it the same as the backbox lights as they're out too (except the bigger bulbs).

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

I had an issue with sound on mine, callouts were out of order, and they would just keep calling out, layering on top of each other, the game was too annoying to play wirh sound on. I replaced the sound chips and luckily that fixed the problem. I havent worked on a system 3 in awhile, but i believe the gi lighting goes to a resistor board under the playfield, and i think there may be a fuse under there too. I can take a look at mine when i get some time and see if i can help

Thanks, I appreciate that. On mine I mostly have the music so no chicken sounds or character callouts or singing which isn't too bad...it could've been the other way round; that would've been annoying : )

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

Maybe see if you can burn new roms and see if those help?

I don't know how to burn roms. Are Gottlieb roms readily available?

#12 6 years ago

Damn...I had all the lights working then and when the game went into attract mode they went out and didn't come back on
One positive is that I now have backbox illumination so I'm half way there with the lighting issue. I made a new board and remounted the three relays and that's when it came good so it's gotta be something relating to those three. They're all showing .22 with the multimeter in the 20k ohms setting and 226, 226 & 229 in the resistance setting.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

Well at least its narrowed down to the three relays. Did a switch become misalligned whefe when the relay triggers the switch doesnt open? (Or close, depending on the switch)

They all look to be opening and closing normally...I gave the contacts a clean with a business card, nothing more. Oh, now I have playfield lights and no backbox gi. I don't want to touch it as i'm happy having the playfield all lit up but I probably won't be able to leave it well alone

IMG20170831202141 (resized).jpgIMG20170831202141 (resized).jpg

IMG20170831192351 (resized).jpgIMG20170831192351 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#15 6 years ago

Still only flashing backglass lighting but I have lights on the playfield now so I'm happy.

I rang a local pinball tech...he told me my sound issue where I get the wrong callouts would not be the Roms and not to waste my money as it would be the sound boards that need attending to. Does this sound right??

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider the4horse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/class-of-1812-lights-out-on-playfieldbackglass-missing-sounds?tu=the4horse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.