• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by zacaj
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hi everyone

I have a Class of 1812 and have never really liked the flipper mechs in it - they have always lacked the snap I am used to from my Williams/Bally games, & as it is very "rampy" it could benefit from an upgrade. Thought I heard recently that it is possible and common for people to replace these with a type of Williams. Is this true?

If so, what is everyones option on what is the best year/model Williams/Bally flipper mech to convert it to - and what coil & switches should i use when updating this?

thanks for any advice on this, love the game - a bloody keeper for me if i can get the flippers snappin'

#2 2 years ago

It's your pin, and I am not knocking you for making changes to it, but one of the most critical shots for scoring in that game is backhanding the left ramp during multiball.

Because of the unique angle of the gottlieb mechs, I am not sure you will be able to make that shot with other mechs.

Just a thought....

#3 2 years ago

Rebuild them. These flipper mechs are just as snappy if not more than WPC.

But yes. Any mech will fit if you buy complete assemblies and use the correct coil. The only thing that may not work is if the gottlieb coils aren’t the same length as the WPC coils. Not sure.

#4 2 years ago

Not sure about integrating Williams coils and mechs, but When I recently rebuilt my SFII flippers, I went with Clays recommendation and swapped the system 3 stops with a modified system 1 stop (drilled out for a #10 screw). The game plays so much better now with the less travel, and definitely has more of the B/W flipper type feel.

#5 2 years ago

Gottlieb flippers work fine if working properly and set with the flipper bats set at the right angle, there set pointed down more than other manufacturers.

#6 2 years ago

Using a system 1 coil stop and modding in an extension spring can help a lot, but the whole mech just isn't the best designed. Even with a perfectly rebuilt and tuned mech you only get performance on the level of a Williams mech with 1000 plays. For games like my Surf n Safari (which the ramps on this seem similar to), I haven't had any issues with the regular mechs after some tweaks. On games like my stargate they just couldn't cut it though, and I swapped to Williams mechs. I used ones from pinball life which had an extension spring, a high voltage eos+cap, and fl-11630 coils, and the tallest coil stops, and it worked well

#7 2 years ago

thanks for the advice guys, will definitely ponder that, especially re the positioning for the backhand shot. I recall when i changed the flipper bats once trying to calibrate that left flipper to be able to achieve that was a challenge, even with the factory mech, parts etc.

The main reason i was considering it was i heard listening to an episode of the Silverball Chronical on Gottlieb Sys 3 that a many of the designer team at Gottlieb hated the flipper mech they used and really wanted them to swap the the W/B design

I've never owned a Gottlieb Sys 1 coil stop, whats so different about it that it makes such a difference>?

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from RaoulJuke:

I've never owned a Gottlieb Sys 1 coil stop, whats so different about it that it makes such a difference>?

The system 1/80 coil stop is about 7-8mm tall. The system 3 coil stop is about 2mm tall. So you get way less travel with the older stop, which means the flippers don't go up really high, which makes the game play more like other games

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/class-of-1812-flipper-conversion-to-williams?hl=quadrider and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.