(Topic ID: 9586)

Clapper to turn on pins?

By Silverballer

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

Could this be done? Incorporate a clapper to turn all the pins on at once. I got to thinking of this today and wonder if anyone has ever tinkered with the idea. Could it be tweaked to be a 1-way switch that would not allow the pins to be turned off the same way? Could it work with more than 1 breaker? Has this already been discussed on Pinside or another forum? Should I stop hanging out with Mr. Towelie and dreaming up this stuff? Naaaw...its Friday.

#2 12 years ago

That could work, up until the point when someone sets a new GC score and you get the double-tap knocker and all your pins shut down in unison

But after re-reading your post, I definitely wouldn't try it.

#3 12 years ago

I wouldn't....They don't work with fluorescent lamps because of the ballast inrush current....Pinball machines have transformers and require a large inrush to magnetize. So, likely a problem for the clapper. Clappers are fine for powering largely resistive loads (incadescents, electronics) but not inductive loads. There have also been reports of them causing fires and they are susceptible to turning on unattended.

#4 12 years ago

What a useless invention. I had one of those when I was a kid, and they were all the rage. I had my TV in my room plugged into it. I would cough at night, or sometimes it would just fire up on it's own, and scare the hell out of me. I thought my room was haunted for a solid week until I realized it was that stupid Clapper.

#5 12 years ago

Thanks for the heads up robert. Ive never used one before but was curious. Probably a good way to test that insurance policy.

#6 12 years ago

I had the Clapper once...........I used a medicinal creme for it.

#7 12 years ago

I had the Clapper once...........I used a medicinal creme for it.

http://sadtrombone.com/

#9 12 years ago

Ok, this quickly turned into one of those threads I have started and instantly regretted.
    At least here on Pinside I can laugh at it and not get torched for such a stupid idea. Nothing to read here folks...move along

#10 12 years ago

Clapper probably not a good idea, wouldnt' handle the current. Now one of those boxes that have a remote (often used for christmas lights) might be cool:
    http://www.amazon.com/DSI-Outlet-Wireless-Remote-Outlets/dp/B000G80V28

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from Silverballer:

At least here on Pinside I can laugh at it and not get torched for such a stupid idea.

At least you gave it the old college try SB!
    I agree Pinside is a bit less serious when it comes to these threads...
    "Clap on, clap off... The Clapper!"

#12 12 years ago

Sally in the garden
    siftin' cinders
    lifted up her skirt
    and farted like a man

The wind from her bloomers
    broke sixteen winders
    and the cheeks of her ass went
    <clap> <clap> <clap>

#13 12 years ago

...and /thread

#14 12 years ago

Not a good idea for the same reason you don't want to turn all of your games on at once with a light switch. The initial current draw when the game turns on is something like twice what it needs normally. If you only have a couple of games on each circuit you probably won't have an issue. But any more and you would probably throw the breaker each time you did it.

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Not a good idea for the same reason you don't want to turn all of your games on at once with a light switch. The initial current draw when the game turns on is something like twice what it needs normally. If you only have a couple of games on each circuit you probably won't have an issue. But any more and you would probably throw the breaker each time you did it.

I have seven on a light switch in my garage, The only time I ever threw the breaker was when I had a little space heater hooked up too. Otherwise, it has never been a problem. This garage has it's own breaker though, probably more robust than the regular household switched outlet intended for a lamp.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/clapper-to-turn-on-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.