Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by LordSnurt
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Looking to get to the bottom of an annoying hiccup on my Cirqus Voltaire. 95% of the time, hitting the sideshow ramp results in a delayed kickout. The kickout is always preceded by a Ringmaster's Hideout bonus. Usually the game raises and lowers the ringmaster, awards hideout, then spits out the ball. I'm thinking there's a trough-related issue - either on the switch or opto side, as the game searches for the ball and then "finds" it in the Ringmaster.

In switch test, the trough switches (46 and 47) function correctly. I'm thinking the issue is switch 36 (popper) though it reads "closed" in switch test and will show "open" when I drop a ball down. I have a multimeter on order and should be able to dive in a bit deeper once it arrives tomorrow.

Any advice on tracking down the source of this issue?

#2 3 years ago

There is a switch all the way in the back of the playfield almost center of the playfield. Can’t recall the number but have you also checked that to insure it is working properly?

#3 3 years ago

There are two switches back there! 15 (left loop upper for sideshow) and 23 (right loop upper) - both working fine.

I have a feeling it's the popper opto causing the trouble, as it seems to be working intermittently. Just dropped a ball in and it remained closed. Tried a second time and it showed open.

Any suggestions to repair/troubleshoot an opto prior to ordering a new one? They're cheap enough, but I prefer to fix rather than replace when I can. Never diagnosed an opto before, and the location of this one makes it a bit tricky to test with the ball while the playfield is up.

#4 3 years ago

Quick update. I pulled out the opto, inspected the solder, cleaned the bulbs, and verified the switch functions in switch test. The opto appears to be working fine.

Played a game and still have the issue.

Any time I hit sideshow (left loop dropping in the trough) I can hear the ball pass under the table and land in the popper. Sideshow is triggered, award is given, and when the popper fires, the ball doesn’t eject. Instead, it awards a ringmaster hideout (switch in the ringmaster trough). The popper then ejects the ball as intended.

Could the popper be firing the ball into the ringmaster from beneath the table rather than back to the playfield? Seems unlikely as things eventually work themselves out.

Any suggestions here?

#5 3 years ago

Resolved- popper plunger was too tall and preventing ball from sitting flush in VUK. Modified plunger and all works.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 11,300.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Danbury, WI
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, WI
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Cabinet - Toppers
Pinheadz

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cirqus-voltaire-sideshow-trough-results-in-ringmaster-s-hideout and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.