By dmacy

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

45C58B94-722C-4F20-BA41-357F0464671C (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
2CB6E905-1D8E-470C-A715-C26677BB8B85 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
3162D03D-E13E-406A-A807-59DC315579D0 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
D2F91FCB-3211-42B8-8BC9-AD5F555FB94A (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
A6A449A3-A28A-4E49-806F-6DDED2AB2483 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
377A9BA2-F2F1-4F43-872C-4BF3BD7B6AC7 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
AE607B83-13FF-4F58-859B-15B930223A96 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
228E00C1-5CC7-4AF9-8223-D4FA41ED7058 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
C104BD8F-EC7E-4BBE-A38B-3492CB43459B (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
478DF8A5-D360-4929-B4D2-E42E6ED8DCD9 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
CC64B9F2-94AD-4CB4-BD99-BBAEEA9B82B0 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
50FA96D1-630A-4EC1-884D-997BB516879C (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
4E7AA0C3-E358-4850-A790-2BD8D96E301E (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
79567E7E-FDE0-411C-9B8F-3A7BB633341F (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
EF15EE81-9857-4D56-846B-82FC4721A658 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)
B099F28A-9436-4D04-B4CB-02B9BE8D0AC2 (resized).jpeg (© Nutty 5.0)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pintechev.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#34 6 years ago

Looking good. CV is my next swap; excited to start it soon.

3 weeks later
#45 6 years ago

Looking good. I start my swap in a few weeks as Ron just finished clearing mine. Excited to get it going!

#49 6 years ago

I believe that’s a spacer that is part of the ball trap kit; should go underneath the high wire ramp to raise it up a touch.

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Thankyou very much. Can I trouble someone for a picture...of course I missed it in the 500 I took pulling down!
Not sure who Ron is??? Playfield mirco and plating is Chris.

You’re welcome. I’ll try to snap a picture tonight.

Ron Kruzman is clearing my Mirco.

1 week later
#60 6 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Hi guys. Getting along with restore. New playfield has this hole? Original didn't but some googling I do see it on other pkayfields as well. What goes there? Its in ball travel path! Thanks in advance.

Highclasspinball mirco, what is this extra hole?

Marc

#61 6 years ago

I just got my Micro back from Kruzman and it’s insanely nice. But I also have the extra hole...which I need to figure out how big of a problem that is...

Marc

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

I just got my Micro back from Kruzman and it’s insanely nice. But I also have the extra hole...which I need to figure out how big of a problem that is...
Marc

So, yeah, it’s right in the ball path and when the sideshow is not lit, that’s your left orbit, so, solution needed.

Is someone crafty enough to 3D print a plug for this? Just needs to be flush, it’s not visible to the player at all, so color and material probably is not important. Base needs to be wider so it can be affixed.

Any takers?

Marc

#64 6 years ago

That’s incredible. Way to solve the problem!

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from Turtle:

I'm not sure if this helps but I checked my CV last night and there is no hole on mine.

Confirmed that my original does not have a hole as well.

#69 6 years ago

Sounds like a restoration to me

#77 6 years ago

Folks,

What’s the method you’re using to pre-drill the top of the PF for the metal wire guides that are on top? CV has a bunch of them and I’m wondering what drill bit sizes folks are using and how they’re tapping them in without cracking any clear.

Thanks!
Marc

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Slowly getting there on my restore.
What about the hole with the disappearing post middle back....post sits well down how does the ball not get caught there? Checked online and it seems normal setup.

It doesn’t get caught there. And if it did, ball search would take care of it.

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Marc, I use a brad point bit and if I don’t have that size I slowly creep up on the drill bit. Have a machinist friend that has given me tons of drill bits so has been helpful. Vid has some good recommendations and Kruzman sells a kit which I should’ve bought by now. I’ve cracked my share but fortunately nothing too bad or was covered by parts, etc. I’ve had good luck though on CV. Only the two guides below the flippers are left.

For drilling out the guides, do you use a bit smaller than the guide, or do you try to match the circumference of the ball guide and let the barb do the work?

#84 6 years ago

Looks great! One last question—what did you use to pound them in?

#87 6 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

I use a small rubber mallet with dual ended. I use these with plastic vs rubber but either will work fine. Spent previous life as office furtniturr installation foreman and it’s worked well for me with this setup.

Super helpful—thanks so much.

Marc

#90 6 years ago

To the left of the leftmost juggler hole there is a decorative plastic on top, a black spacer, and this clear plastic. I don’t have a clear picture, but that’s where it goes.

#92 6 years ago

Nice work!

I am at a similar stage with you. I have a different arrangement of rubber on my left side/menagerie than you do - I wonder which way is correct. Maybe I’m wrong! I’ll need to look and see what the consensus is!

Marc

60683499-709B-4025-A16F-EAF93B61F29A (resized).jpeg60683499-709B-4025-A16F-EAF93B61F29A (resized).jpeg

#93 6 years ago

You’re right! I found a picture online and I’m dead wrong. Quick fix tomorrow morning - glad I checked the thread! I knew it looked funny...

Marc

#94 6 years ago

Nearly done now, need help getting it off the rotisserie and into the cab, and have the diverter and rear magnet to install once it’s free of the rotisserie mounting points. And then testing and tweaking. I am excited to get this wrapped up! It’s been a fun swap and I have learned a ton in the process as this is only my second restoration and this one went quite differently.

D9D316DF-44D8-44EB-9968-1FECA76AC6FA (resized).jpegD9D316DF-44D8-44EB-9968-1FECA76AC6FA (resized).jpeg

#98 6 years ago

And in the cabinet!

9F70246F-0F45-4B59-B565-24FA98CC1D0B (resized).jpeg9F70246F-0F45-4B59-B565-24FA98CC1D0B (resized).jpeg

#99 6 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Awesome and looks great. Understand about the parts left off. I’m considering leaving both ringmaster and pop bumper mech out to save some weight putting back in too. That and they really hang down.
Never would know it was your second as it looks fantastic. And this machine is certainly different. Lots of parts to strip completely down to clean/rebuild.

The ringmaster is hard to get at when in the cabinet. My advice is to get a friend to help you install it and do as much as you can on the rotisserie.

#100 6 years ago
Quoted from OlDirty:

Looks very nice! Did everything fit well on the playfield (all the holes in the correct position)? I'm also doing a CV restoration with a Mirco playfield and would like to know before, if i need to be prepared for some missalignment.

Most of the rear dimples were OK. From memory:

If it was a lamp PCB or a subway ramp; they were perfect.

The flipper plate holes were mostly off, but you can’t mess it up since the bushing hole is all the matters.

The GI was mostly just a suggestion and not critical, was also mostly wrong.

All in all, nothing big or hard to deal with. You just have to go slowly and test fit everything.

Marc

#101 6 years ago

The other thing I will say is that all of the post holes are too small. And you need to be very careful because the posts have two diameters; the threads and the collars above the threads. The collars are slightly larger and that’s what you need to drill for.

The metal ball guides weren’t too bad, but I would recommend doing them first when the playfield is bare along with the T-nuts. Then populate as you normally would.

#102 6 years ago

Strangely, the display plastic does not fit after the swap. Both myself and another guy are having the same problem. Not sure if it’s just a thicker PF or not, but the back sits a little higher and the plastic does not allow the playfield to sit down in the lockdown groove properly.

I’ll have to modify the mount for the the display to accommodate it. For now, the plastic is off

#103 6 years ago

So, it’s all tweaked up. The only thing I need to chase is the eject scoop is getting caught as the ball cannot always make it up and out. I think the underside is properly aligned and the upper hood is likely just off a touch. My plan is to take the top hood off and enlarge the holes so I have some play in it’s positioning and tweak it and fasten it down.

The display is another thing I’m not yet sure how to solved. The new playfield is sitting higher somehow and the display is now too low. The whole thing needs to come up a touch but I’m not yet sure how to beat resolve that. For now, it’s fine. But I’ll need to deal with that soon to call the work complete.

#105 6 years ago

It’s not the cover. It’s the frame and the cover. The whole thing needs to move up.

#107 6 years ago
Quoted from OlDirty:

Does the playfield have another size or do you shift the playfield "mountings" a bit maybe?

Going to move the display up a touch. I don’t plan to touch the playfield.

#109 6 years ago

He’s a bear for sure! Where did you get the new parts?

#112 6 years ago

He looks great! Nice progress. Keep going, it’s so fun to put it all back together.

#114 6 years ago

OK. So I had an interesting experience. While I finished the restore on Friday, I haven't played a ton of games. I played more tonight and noticed that the main ramp was clunky. Hard to describe, but it wasn't as smooth as it was in the past and I was getting strange rejects. Turns out that the dimples for the main ramp aren't correct. When I installed it originally it was clear that both dimples weren't possible with my ramp, so I did my best to measure and get the ramp lined up and used the left dimple and ignored the right. This ended up pulling the ramp too far left.

After some careful measurement on the original playfield, I determined that the ramp flap should be closer to the right target than the left target. I was no more than 1/16th of an inch off, but it made a huge difference. I redrilled and moved the ramp and I can't get over the difference.

So, a few things pop out to me. First, it's the first topside issue I had with placement. Second, a 1/16 of an inch is a very small thing to have made that big of a difference, but it did and the shot is so much better now. Imagine how hard it must be to design these things to shoot smoothly when fractions of an inch have that much impact!

dmacy make sure you don't trust the ramp flap dimples and measure from your original before you drill. Maybe my reproduction ramp is a little different, but it was OK on my original PF.

Figured it was worth sharing.

Marc

#115 6 years ago

I am slowly dialing this in! The swap was easier than this part

Due to the extra clear, all of the switches needed to be adjusted, lots of small tweaks and bends of the metal ball guides to get them back in form after being re-grained.

Slowly but surely, it’s getting closer and closer to being dialed in properly.

1 week later
#119 6 years ago

Looks great! You’re nearly there.

1 month later
#124 6 years ago

Rear scoop is under the display so it won’t be seen. Game is looking great! Can’t wait to see it all done.

2 weeks later
#128 6 years ago

Looking good!

#132 6 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

I actually tried just taking the display plastic off but it still was hanging up. So guessing I’ll have to see if it’s the wooden asembly or colorDMD. What was your final fix?

I enlarged the holes in the bracket that screws into the cabinet to raise the overall DMD higher. It has a little room to go up, and that allowed it to clear once I reinstalled it.

#134 6 years ago

Happy to help. Took a few minutes with the Dremel; not too bad.

#137 6 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Spent a little more time with the Dremel on the block. That helped but then found that the issue is the colorDMD (nothing wrong with it!) sticking out and slightly wedging playfield. I could drill new holes for the studs in the block for the display but want to try some other options first. This confirms the playfield maybe is longer or thicker but will work on making some adjustments to the slide mounts and see what I can sneak out. Will update what was done. Hopefully this is just a case by case situation.

Thanks! Let us know what you figure out!

1 week later
#142 6 years ago

Looks amazing! Well done!

#149 6 years ago

I can test this for you when I get home tonight.

#150 6 years ago

Oh, I had this exact issue after the swap. I had a diode shorted on the matrix. I believe it was up where the playfield plug that I made you was. Check that area carefully.

#153 6 years ago

OK. I’ll be able to test later tonight and let you know what I find out.

#154 6 years ago

As expected, my game does not have the same issue in test mode.

#156 6 years ago

Stunning. What a beauty.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
1,234 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bismarck, ND
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
9,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Ramon, CA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Pinball Machine
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pintechev.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cirqus-voltaire-refresh-cabinet-and-playfield-swaps?tu=pintechev and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.