77F4E808-0D5F-402E-9457-31799B7E5DCF (resized).jpeg
03FB98A0-02F8-454A-8D37-E445D175DEB4 (resized).jpeg
20E57C2A-1A09-473E-9BB3-088A80C57BD4 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20220714_222016352 (resized).jpg
20220709_135941[1] (resized).jpg
PXL_20220513_215344960 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220513_215308713 (resized).jpg
E18B300F-812A-480C-8928-1B0B8C31EB76 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 7 years ago

Some notes on your notes -
#4, #10 - this was a 'kit' that was released AFTER production started, not changed between Sample and Production.
#11 - The RM head was thickened not because the ball got stuck behind, but because the thinner RM head, when lowering under playfield, would catch the ball and pull the ball down into the cabinet.

Some things not in your list -
#4b - The word 'Multiball' added to the RM multiball inserts.
#15 & #16 - As well as changing the insert colors, the word 'Ready' was added to the text.
#? - The sample version of the playfield had the insert in the Menagerie for the eddy sensor. (You mention it above, but not in the list.)

As far as I'm aware, there were three main runs of playfields - the first, prototype, then the second, samples.
The 'sample' run of playfields had the 'Visit Ring 3' in the center marvel, the 'Tickle' ringmaster quote, as well as the other mentioned changes. The art differences were covered up by mylar decals - the RM head between the RM multiball inserts, and the 'Defeated all RM' center marvel.

Edit to add - both sample games I've owned had the above; the games were identical as far as the changes go. (And both had skinny RM. The post behind the target on the left of the RM that was in the fix 'kit' is needed BECAUSE of the fatter head - if you had the thin head on it, the ball could escape fine. In a home environment, I was (still am!) against installing the kit, as the number of times I lost a ball into the cabinet from the RM pulling it down was very very rare - though it DID happen..)

Of course, don't forget the backbox, too!

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

I've got the old RM voice running in mine. I can record some game play of him talking later today.

Would like to hear it also!
While I had two early sample games, I never had the early software to mess with.

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

As promised...
» YouTube video

Thanks for posting!

Holy cow, that's horrid.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Ok. I replace the rom
Here is the prototype ringmaster voice I have (another one!)
You can here a dog and a cow sometimes...
Another music aftern the win...
» YouTube video

Interesting. Still really dislike that voice, but I DO like that music before starting Frenzie and Razz..

#51 6 years ago

I still get a chuckle that noone has labeled that one flipper code.

You know, I was the one that asked Cameron to leave it in. He put it in while we were beta-testing v2.0, and he was going to take it out for the final release. I asked him to leave it in, and had to promise him I wouldn't tell anyone it was in there. Obviously someone went through the code and found it, but I'm not sure why they never figured out what it does. It's kinda obvious.

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Doesn't seem to do anything on mine but I assume it's supposed to make the Neon stay on or have it flash / strobe.

I won't tell, because I promised Cameron I wouldn't. HOWEVER - you know you did it correctly when the screen will momentarily flash 'white'.

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Yeah, that happened but......not much else that I could see. Not asking you to tell secrets outside of school.

All I'll say is (because I want to see someone realize what it does..) this:
Start, and play, a game after that.

3 weeks later
#73 6 years ago

Honestly, I can't remember if either my my sample had the little initial signature or not.
For those curious, here are side-by-side shots of the two flyers. On the front shot, the 'preview' flyer is on the RIGHT. On the rear shot, the preview flyer is on the LEFT.

Pardon the messy futon. The cats like to sleep there.

ccH9Tpk (resized).jpgccH9Tpk (resized).jpg

Qt9X8S1 (resized).jpgQt9X8S1 (resized).jpg

#76 6 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Glad the right drawing was not on backbox.

Yeah - if you look closely, you'll see the center marvel IS 'Defeated All Ringmasters'. So that pic of the game was made relatively late in the design process..

2 weeks later
#79 6 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

I've found this picture of the under playfield of the last whitewood (whitewood 3 with no color and true prototype) were we can see the eddy sensor installed.
The eddy sensor idea came early (whitewood 2?) and it was located juste close from the moving ball.
I don't know why it was cancelled, maybe because of cost saving.
Basically, moving the regular ball in this area should have trigger an action event.

It was because of cost savings, according to what Cameron told me in the past.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
3 months later
#90 6 years ago

Wish I still had my pics from the AMOA show in Atlanta. That's where I met Cameron, and he let me take pictures of the prototype games they had there. No idea where those pics are now, unfortunately.

#92 6 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Was it a proto with color or whitewood?
What year was it, 1997?
If you find those pics it would be great !

Was 1996, I believe, and they had two hand-build sample games, and a prototype game there.

#94 6 years ago

Yup. Cameron put it in 1.98H when we were beta-testing, so that the multiball stacks could be tested. He said he was going to take it out for v2.0h, I asked him to leave it in. He agreed, if he said I wouldn't tell anyone.

I didn't - someone else dug into the code and pulled it out.

#99 6 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

When you say "pulling out" is it still there in the 2.0h?

I mean that someone got into the ROM, found all the flipper codes, and published it.

Quoted from noitbe1:

I don't get what to be done, it s not working on my 2.0h cv. Do we need to press slowly 14 times the left button, five times the right, 15 the left again and 14 the right? None of those code work. The attract mode is the mode when no play is running, right? Have you guys tested thoses?

It works. You're not entering the codes right. I won't say, as half the fun is figuring it out. But if you search online, there are plenty of posts, sites, and RPG posts referencing on how to enter the code.

Edit to add: What I mean about the 'stacking' multiballs is just that -
The absolute (to me) best fun of the game is getting a multiball running, then starting another right when the first one ends, getting both running. Then continuing on.

This is what I live for in this game, and how I do it:
Shoot the highwire ramp ONCE, so that FOUR shots are left to start Arc Multiball.
Hit the 'Lite Lock' enough times to get all three locks lit.
The hardest part - getting Juggler lit, and one or two balls locked, WITHOUT getting the Side Show.
Work through the first RM battle, to get him raised up and Frenzy lit.
Okay, ready?
Shoot up the Highwire to lock three balls and start Highwire multiball.
While you have that running, shoot the RM enough times to start RM Frenzy.
Play both multiballs, until you're down to one ball. Quickly shoot the highwire ramp again.
You will get the 'Super Duper Jackpot!', and then start Strike An Arc multiball.
Happy? Now, when you drain all balls, immediately shoot up the Juggler and get the Side Show.
He'll award Neon Multiball - now you have 4 multiballs!
If you only needed one more shot to the Juggler, you'll have ALL 5 running.
Otherwise, when you finally are back down to 1 ball, again shoot up the Juggler. This will start Juggler multiball, and resume the others, and you'll be running all 5.
Score big.
Once you drain back down to 1 ball, don't forget to shoow up the Highwire Ramp, for the 'Super Duper Jackpot'.
Go get yourself a cup of coffee as it cycles through all 5 jaclpot animations.

1 week later
#111 6 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

The only way I know you could do this would be to get two sneaky locks into the Juggler, right? Because even though it lights the Juggler after the first sneaky lock any hard shot up the left will continue to the Side Show. If you collect side show once and then have it lit again (from hitting the Bally Hoo targets) will it still award Neon Multiball when you collect it?

Sorry, I missed this post originally!
What mvissers says helps - there is also a mode (I cannot recall off-hand which mode it is. I will need to play someone's for my memory to come back) that will allow shots up the loop to count towards Juggler, but not catch the ball as well - that helps get Juggler up there.

If you use the flipper code, ONLY the first Side Show award will award Neon Multiball, after that, it returns to random.

1 year later
#153 5 years ago
Quoted from pin-pimp:

I just looked at that cv owners list, my sample game is listed with another’s name. Looks like the list has not been updated in a while. I emailed the old owner, see if his email still works and what he has to say. It’s not the same person I bought it from.

Which one was yours? Two on that list were mine (... since I started that list myself a loooong time ago) and to this day I wonder what happened to my games.

#160 5 years ago
Quoted from pin-pimp:

that list says updated in 2010, i bought my pin in 2011 from Colorado. list says owner was in Florida so who knows the story

I dunno if Hassell is even around anymorme honestly. I origianklly made those pages back in the early 2000's when I had my second Sample CV. When I sold it, I couldn't keep up with the pages anymore, so I gave him all the HTML. Heard form him off and on since then, but eventually lost contact.

Quoted from whthrs166:

I have 65. 8-12-97 Man another scam. Seems there isn't a day that goes by that I hear of another scam to steal or commit fraud. Crazy...

Did you buy it while in Colorado? Thinking that one may be the first I had when i was out there. Huh, cool.

1 year later
#170 3 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

yes the software has a lot of differences. Also the "crank" insert (also visible on sample) and the "Ring 3" center target was part of this prototype software

The Sample CV I got when I was out in Colorado still had the 'Visit Ring 3' insert.
Apparently the sample games had that on the main insert - and it was covered by a decal. Not sure if my sample was never decaled, OR, the decal was taken off.

1 year later
#202 1 year ago

I'm in one of these pictures, and never knew that this pic was taken. Huh.

#206 1 year ago

The one at the show there, showing the Bally setup. Can't remember where that show was, but I was there for my work at the time, with the sole purpose to get distributor and redemption information. I stopped and started playing CV. Got a handful of the 'preliminary' flyers. I loved the game, even back then.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
9,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Ramon, CA
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
1,234 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bismarck, ND
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinheadz
Toppers
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Pinball Machine
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cirqus-voltaire-prototype-story-and-design-changes?tu=coyote and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.