• Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Partial_Schematic_U3-U4_fix (resized).jpg
Board_repair_U3-U4 (resized).jpg
#1 10 years ago

I just acquired this game and when I powered it up, the neon does not come on when the game starts. Is the neon supposed to be on continuously during game play and attract mode, or do you need to do something special for it to light up?

If not is not working properly, what are some of the usual suspects that would cause this not to work?

Thanks for any help on this issue.

#2 10 years ago

Should always be on I think.
Could be the starter at the top (black box) or the light itself. Check bayarea amusements think they have them in different colours.

#3 10 years ago

Is it coming on at all?

You may have a problem, but if I remember correctly(been a long time since I had mine clause ; )there is a setting in the menu for time on...or something like that. Could be a connection(check them)or transformer for the neon.

Hopefully somebody more in the know will chime in, but check your menu settings for neon....it was something like time on compared to time off....like I said not so clear on it but it may get you straightened out.

#4 10 years ago

I plan to dig into this deeper over the next few days. Just got the game fresh off someone's route, so it has not been shopped for quite a while

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

Is it coming on at all?
You may have a problem, but if I remember correctly(been a long time since I had mine clause ; )there is a setting in the menu for time on...or something like that. Could be a connection(check them)or transformer for the neon.
Hopefully somebody more in the know will chime in, but check your menu settings for neon....it was something like time on compared to time off....like I said not so clear on it but it may get you straightened out.

I still have it Russ, it will never leave. It's still as pretty as the day I picked it up. Thanks again for selling it to me.

D. Cole

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from jrkitty:

I just acquired this game and when I powered it up, the neon does not come on when the game starts. Is the neon supposed to be on continuously during game play and attract mode, or do you need to do something special for it to light up?
If not is not working properly, what are some of the usual suspects that would cause this not to work?
Thanks for any help on this issue.

Congrats on CV. A few things:

1) The neon should be on in attract mode, unless you changed the settings for it.
2) The Neon takes in 12V DC and then transforms it to power the neon.
-> Check that you have 12V DC at the connector to the neon ramp (it's under the playfield, back left)
3) If you're not getting voltage there, check U3 on the driver board, which could be bad.
4) If you're getting voltage, check the transformer; they can go bad over time.

Marc

#7 10 years ago

Marc got it right. I just fixed my CV neon a few weeks ago. U3 on the I/O board is the most common problem. Mine was a bad U4 which is a 74LS374. Those are the only 2 ICs on the I/O board that control the neon.

But first, you can unplug the power lines to the neon and connect 12vdc to them. If the neon lights up, then replace U3 on the I/O board. If it doesn't with 12vdc applied then it might be a bad transformer or a bad tube.

Check the schematics and make sure you get the 12vdc applied with correct polarity.

5 years later
#8 4 years ago

Trying to clarify my 5 year old post as I have been asked a few questions about this common CV neon fix.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U3 and U4 are on the Power Driver Board A-20028 in the WPC-95 schematic manual. U3 is a ULN2803A an octal Darlington Transistor array and U4 is a 74LS374 which is an octal D-type 3-state flip-flop (latch).

Here are photos of my repaired board (see the two sockets) and the schematic section that shows the two parts. I replaced U3 first and then U4 when that didn't fix the problem. Troubleshooting between them wasn't easy as the bad circuit in U4 pulled down the Darlington pair in U3 which made it look like it was bad.

I would advise you to buy sockets and ICs for both. Just be sure not to damage the PCB when desoldering. Practice first on a scrap board if you need to learn. I bought a Hakko desoldering tool which really makes removing ICs easy with little to no PCB damage. They are expensive but so is outside board repair and a damaged board.

Board_repair_U3-U4 (resized).jpgBoard_repair_U3-U4 (resized).jpgPartial_Schematic_U3-U4_fix (resized).jpgPartial_Schematic_U3-U4_fix (resized).jpg
#9 4 years ago

The ICs are a potential problem of course, but for anyone that has this game, before doing board work, the idea of the neon is pretty simple just like any other solenoid. First check for power at the 2 pin connector to the neon ramp. If power is there, go into solenoid test, and select the neon, then you can simply check the other wire for "drive". The wire will be pulled low during "on" and held at full power when "off". So if you do not see this, procede to board. If you do, don't!!!
If you see the toggle, but the neon doesn't light it's either the transformer or the neon itself. In my case, I had the toggle so I knew not a board problem, and put one of those AC volt alert pens around the neon and saw no indication of anything, so I replaced the transformer and all was fine on my game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11,300.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

Cabinet - Toppers
Pinheadz

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Danbury, WI
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, WI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cirqus-voltaire-neon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.