(Topic ID: 60594)

Cirqus Voltaire - Just finished top playfield teardown and custom paint.

By ghetoprobe

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CV.jpg
CV_Green_DMD_8.24.2013.JPG
side-by-side.png
12.JPG
11.JPG
10.JPG
09.JPG
08.JPG
07.JPG
06.JPG
05.JPG
04.JPG
03.JPG
02.JPG
01.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Well, it’s been a long time coming, but I’ve finally managed to finish up my Cirqus Voltaire project. I originally purchased this CV back in February from pinballx (great guy to work with). While it was in pretty good condition it was in need of a deep cleaning, which led to replacing some damaged star posts, which led to pulling some cracked plastics, which led to stripping the entire top playfield naked (you all know how that goes). The living room was in disarray for about a month and I may have been scolded more times than it was worth, but she’s finally finished!

I rebuilt the pop bumpers, rebuilt the flippers, rebuilt the boom balloon, replaced the ring master, ring master top plate, “WOW” decal and hole protector, all new target switches, new slingshot arms, auto eddy micro controller replaced, all new plastics, posts, LEDs, PETG washers on slingshots and plastics, white rubbers, lots of replacement stickers and polished just about everything screwed to the playfield… It was a lot of fun and went much easier than I had anticipated.

My brother and I removed all of the hardware from the machine and painstakingly painted it with a Electric Blue Metallic Flake, trying to match the lightning on the outside of the cabinet as closely as possible. Everyone has done the purple powder coat and I felt it was time to mix it up and try something new with the electric blue. The “purists” may gasp, but if there was ever a pin to do it to, CV is it! Painting the hardware also allowed us to hit the plastic scrolls which came out looking pretty amazing. Unfortunately, the pictures just don’t do the colors justice, but for anyone coming out to the PinCrossing tournament this Saturday, I’ll be “debuting” the pin there. I believe there are a few spots left so get in while you can!

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pincrossing-a-new-pinball-arcade-in-linfield-pa

Down the road I would like to do a full strip and re-decal on the cabinet, but for now, this will have to do until I have more time and money. Thanks for looking, here are some shots of the finished product :

01.JPG01.JPG 02.JPG02.JPG

#2 10 years ago

More...

03.JPG03.JPG 04.JPG04.JPG 05.JPG05.JPG 06.JPG06.JPG 07.JPG07.JPG 08.JPG08.JPG

#3 10 years ago

A few more...

09.JPG09.JPG 10.JPG10.JPG

...and this is how the living room sat for well over a month.

11.JPG11.JPG 12.JPG12.JPG

#4 10 years ago

Wow, looks nice! I have no idea what it's supposed to look like, but it looks like a new modern game. Gonna do something similar to my SI, hope it turns out as good!

#5 10 years ago

Looks sweet! I got my first turn at playing CV at TomGWI's party last week. I must say that once I played a round or two I have a better understanding why folks like it.

Keep up the nice work
--
Jeremy Agema
Central WI

#6 10 years ago

The color match really worked out well... When you compare the original dull plastic purple of the scrolls in that last picture, to the 4th picture with the closeup of the metallic blue, the difference is just night a day.

#7 10 years ago

Thanks for the kind words, guys. CV is definitely a love-it-or-hate-it kind of pin. I thoroughly enjoy it and it's my wife's favorite in our small collection.

Yeah Jay, I didn't even think to do a side-by-side of the scrolls. The originals just look dull with the matte purple. Here's a comparison for reference :

side-by-side.pngside-by-side.png

#8 10 years ago

I haven't met these supposed people that don't like CV... but I guess they must exist somewhere. They clearly haven't seen this one

#9 10 years ago

very nice that blue looks like it belongs on it and it adds depth to the scrolls details.

#10 10 years ago

Dude, that's HOT! I too was contemplating the purple, but not only has everyone done it, but as you alluded to, the purple isn't even on the cabinet. The purple looks great from a player perspective because it matches the apron, but from across the gameroom, I have not seen a CV that looks as well color-coordinated as yours. Nice job.

When you say painted, do you mean painted or powder coated? I want to do the habitrails in my game as well so I would need to do a powder.

Thank you / Damn you for upending my CV plans! WELL DONE!

Tim

#11 10 years ago

WOW that looks awesome!! cannot wait till I get mine one day!!

#12 10 years ago

Some really nice work must of taken a while! Thanks for posting the pics for us.

#13 10 years ago

Wow that blue kills it. Great job.

#14 10 years ago

The Blue looks great, one of the best pins of all time.

#15 10 years ago

I really like the blue. But my experience is that paint will chip when uses on lockdown bar and side rails. Wedding rings, things like that. Can you get powder costing to match for those pieces and paint the rest? I guess you'll know how well it does over time.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

When you say painted, do you mean painted or powder coated? I want to do the habitrails in my game as well so I would need to do a powder.

Quoted from markmon:

my experience is that paint will chip when uses on lockdown bar and side rails.

I was originally going to powder coat for durability, but matching the plastic scrolls to the rest of the cabinet was very important to me and I feared they would melt in the oven. Down the line I would love to powder coat the habitrails a matching blue, as well as re-shooting the current hardware, but finding the right "electric blue" in powder has proven to be rather difficult. Hopefully one day!

#17 10 years ago

Keep in mind this isn't regular paint, it is 2 part automotive urethane that was done in a spray booth.

#18 10 years ago

Purple looks terrible. Blue looks good. Great job.

#19 10 years ago

Looks good, but the coin door stuff is a little much I think.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from ghetoprobe:

Thanks for the kind words, guys. CV is definitely a love-it-or-hate-it kind of pin. I thoroughly enjoy it and it's my wife's favorite in our small collection.
Yeah Jay, I didn't even think to do a side-by-side of the scrolls. The originals just look dull with the matte purple. Here's a comparison for reference :

Where are the hinges for the back box?

Love the blue.....thinking about some matching powdercoated mirror blades? Would be sweet.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Agree, should do the entire coindoor or none of it.

#22 10 years ago

Nice job, the blue is a good choice. I thought it was the same blue Stern used on the Avengers Blue LE, funny because I was considering doing my CV with Avengers Hulk green.

#23 10 years ago

It is easy enough to paint the blue accents on the coin door black again. These are probably the easiest parts to do on the machine.

Personally, I think it might be cool to paint the validator blanking plates black but leave the coin returns blue as an accent. If it doesn't work out then those could always go black too. When all metal on a machine is done in one color, including every part of the coin door, the color winds up being too dominant IMO and you lose contrast.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Agree, should do the entire coindoor or none of it.

I completely agree with the all-or-nothing approach to the coin door. Since we were shooting the rest of the hardware I figured we'd give it a try. I'll be painting the validator plates back to black and we'll see how paint on just the coin flaps looks.

Where are the hinges for the back box?

Good eye! Yeah, where the heck are they?! Kind of a sore subject...

I've asked my brother to paint and re-paint things five or six times now. I'm kind of anal. The hinges will be the seventh(?) time we'll need to go back to the paint booth for touch-ups. Hopefully the hinges will be the last time.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from ghetoprobe:

Good eye! Yeah, where the heck are they?! Kind of a sore subject...
I've asked my brother to paint and re-paint things five or six times now. I'm kind of anal. The hinges will be the seventh(?) time we'll need to go back to the paint booth for touch-ups. Hopefully the hinges will be the last time.

Really is a beautiful example....blue star posts on the sling shots are sweet too

#26 10 years ago

nice game, home roms really bring out the best in this games play

#27 10 years ago

wow!

#28 10 years ago

More...

Have any picutres of that bad boy in the dark with the LED's going?

Here is a pic of mine....sorry for the low quality camera phone

CV_Green_DMD_8.24.2013.JPGCV_Green_DMD_8.24.2013.JPG

#29 10 years ago

Have any picutres of that bad boy in the dark with the LED's going?

Unfortunately, I do not. The pin is on location over at PinCrossing for a little while. I'll take some when I get it home, eventually.

Here is a pic of mine...

That green DMD is really nice! I've been considering putting one on mine, as well, but I'd like to see one in person before I pull the trigger. Love the red neon, too! Neon Multi-ball must be crazy!

#30 10 years ago

That green DMD is really nice! I've been considering putting one on mine, as well, but I'd like to see one in person before I pull the trigger. Love the red neon, too! Neon Multi-ball must be crazy!

Neon MB is always sweet, no matter what the neon color is. I have actually been thinking of changing it down the road for a 2 color one. The red one is from the factory.

I have new love for the game after adding the LED's to it.....they really pop now. Here is an older pic with diamonds lit up.

CV.jpgCV.jpg

#31 10 years ago

Oh, wow. I just saw this for the first time and I'm really impressed. Great job!

I particularly like how the scrolls work with the backglass in this color scheme. I'd love to convert mine to this color scheme.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Danbury, WI
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Toppers
Pinheadz

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, WI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11,300.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cirqus-voltaire-just-finished-top-playfield-teardown-and-custom-paint and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.