Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-508.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Hi

About 2 months ago, I purchased a "CIRQUS VOLTAIRE" (HUO) pin with 287 plays on it. It is absolutely in mint shape all the way around, inside and out! It honestly looks like it was just pulled out of the box from 1997 ... check out my previous thread on this. It now has a little over 350 plays on it.

Anyways, it is now my family's favorite pin and I love it also, but I have a HUGE desire to get a "Monster Bash" pin, so I am POSSIBLY putting this up for sale or trade (plus some cash from myself) and am just trying to gauge the interest in this idea, because I don't have the cash to purchase a MB outright at this moment.

If you have a MB for trade, I would only be interested in ones that are (HUO), totally restored or near perfect examples, as my CV is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!! Again, I don't know if I would even pull the trigger and do this, just feeling it out right now, as my CV is probably the nicest example out there and such a fun and addicting pin to play, not to mention, one of the nicest pinball machines to look at, with it's beautiful artwork and vivid colors.

Do you guys think I am crazy, nuts or whatever you want to call it, for even THINKING about doing this? I just have that MB itch at this very moment. So any interested people, please get back to me through this thread, or a private message to me.

Lastly, any comments and feedback would be greatly appreciated, as I am really TORN about doing this. THANKS and Happy Holidays to all of you pinsider's!!!

Dan

#2 9 years ago

I don't think your crazy at all. I just don't understand why people seek out top-of-the-line(or any shape pin), acquire them for a few weeks, and then want to get rid of them. Seems kinda too sudden for me

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from Giardiasis:

I don't think your crazy at all. I just don't understand why people seek out top-of-the-line(or any shape pin), acquire them for a few weeks, and then want to get rid of them. Seems kinda too sudden for me

Do you even own a pin?

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from Giardiasis:

I did NOT say that I want to get rid of it ... I absolutely love my CV but am POSSIBLY thinking of doing a switch a roo for a MB. Either way, I think I am in a Win - Win situation with either pin ... again, just feeling this out at this moment.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Giardiasis:

Simple, sometimes you play it on location and decide you need one. Finally bring her home to discover that you'd really have something else. Happened to me several times.

Quoted from centerflank:

Do you even own a pin?

CF, careful now. He owned/owns a RBION and is quite the expert on determining how we should describe the condition of our pins, don't believe me just ask him.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from ff6735:

Simple, sometimes you play it on location and decide you need one. Finally bring her home to discover that you'd really have something else. Happened to me several times.

CF, careful now. He owned/owns a RBION and is quite the expert on determining how we should describe the condition of our pins, don't believe me just ask him.

it's a curse. happens to me also, only I am too poor to own more than one pin and space constrained. As soon as one hits the room I yearn about some other I've seen. Fortunately, A pins are way out of my price range, so I long for fun B and C titles. From A list I only long for TZ.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Ika:

it's a curse. happens to me also, only I am too poor to own more than one pin and space constrained. As soon as one hits the room I yearn about some other I've seen. Fortunately, A pins are way out of my price range, so I long for fun B and C titles. From A list I only long for TZ.

Almost all of us suffer from what I call SMS. Significant other, money or space. Those seem to be the 3 factors which affect us most. The ver first pin I owned went in the dining room. Had no space for it anywhere else and I mean really, a lot of us don't use the dining room table anymore so it was prime time for game time real estate. 2 months later I had 4 in there. GF almost had a cow.

#8 9 years ago

Or he may have gotten a great deal on it and just couldn't pass it up, even though it wasn't what he really wanted but he still knew that down the road it would make for good trade bait if he bought it right. People do this all the time, not surprised at all.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, MI.
269-979-3836

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from ff6735:

Almost all of us suffer from what I call SMS. Significant other, money or space. Those seem to be the 3 factors which affect us most. The ver first pin I owned went in the dining room. Had no space for it anywhere else and I mean really, a lot of us don't use the dining room table anymore so it was prime time for game time real estate. 2 months later I had 4 in there. GF almost had a cow.

One crept out into my family room.. Wife was cool untill I started talking about another. I don't talk about new pinball machines anymore

#10 9 years ago

Sounds like you should be able to get a trade for that. I think an OK MB is = to a perfect CV.

Good luck with the trade. That's the deal with this hobby.. games you "like" are always up for trade against games you really "want".

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Do you even own a pin?

Ouch, that really cut me to the core. Now you ruined my day
I was just responding to the OP question, not by any means trying to attack, just an observation.
He asked what people thought in his opening thread.
Hey centerflank, you forgot to thumbs down my first post. C'mon, don't hold back. You know you want to. Hahah

#12 9 years ago

I don't think you are crazy at all. I think you and your family would like MB even better than CV. IMO.

I think the issue you will run into is finding someone with a CQ MB like you're describing, willing to trade for a HUO CQ CV.

Do I think it's possible? Sure. I do think it will take a decent size of cash and patience on your end.

#13 9 years ago

Not crazy. They're both excellent pins. You'll be looking at a downgrade in condition unless you inject cash into the deal. I don't know if I'd say monster bash is better, but I think the theme resonates with people more so it's more popular. I have a mint CV. I'll not play it for a month or so and the next time I play I'm blown away by how great it is. For me, variety is more important than the individual pin.

Good luck with the trade!

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

I don't think you are crazy at all. I think you and your family would like MB even better than CV. IMO.
I think the issue you will run into is finding someone with a CQ MB like you're describing, willing to trade for a HUO CQ CV.
Do I think it's possible? Sure. I do think it will take a decent size of cash and patience on your end.

This. They're both great titles but you'll never get a MB as you described in a straight up trade for a CV.

Sell the CV and hunt for a MB. Or find a pair of lesser titles and double up!

Good luck.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Giardiasis:

This is an ever week or 2 thing for me get a pin play it for a couple weeks then move on to something eles . Attack from mars lasted the longest of anything about 5 1/2 - 6 months
Your right it is crazy but always want something new keeps things fresh that way plus I don't get Attached to any game so it's easier to part with !!!
Never owned a cv but had a monster bash and could not get it out of the house fast enough think 2 weeks lol

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from Giardiasis:

Ouch, that really cut me to the core. Now you ruined my day
I was just responding to the OP question, not by any means trying to attack, just an observation.
He asked what people thought in his opening thread.
Hey centerflank, you forgot to thumbs down my first post. C'mon, don't hold back. You know you want to. Hahah

image-508.jpgimage-508.jpg
#17 9 years ago

Why would you sell a game that you love and is your family's favorite pin that you've only owned a couple months? And you've only put 63 plays on it? You at least need to play it a lot and get to the point where you can join the Cirqus on a regular basis and see the true beauty of the rule-set. Have you even played Neon Multiball and some of the other rare modes?

I only sell games when I get tired of playing them. I wouldn't do it, especially since there's a great chance MB and AFM are the next PPS re-makes which would bring values down if you ever decide to sell it. CV's a rarer game with better rules and a unique layout. MB has an awesome theme and humor but the layout and rule-set is similar to many other games. I'd put another 500 plays on the CV and then make a decision.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Giardiasis:

Been playing since 77,been collecting since 03.there is not a single game in my collection that was purchased as a "try out".If Im buying Im keeping.My only issue is how far to take the restoration.

Im shocked when I hear stuff like"Ive never played an AFM" or "their are no TZs around for me to check out."

#19 9 years ago

I'm going to be the minority here but I would not do the trade.

You and, better yet, your family enjoy CV. That should mean CV is a keeper for now. More importantly, I feel that finding a near min CV is much harder to do than finding a MB so if you make the trade and decide you liked CV better and wanted one back it may be harder to find another near mint version of that game.

Plus, I know most wont like this comment, but I would think long and hard about buying a MB or even a AFM right now at current pricing. I would wait a year or so and let the dust settle a bit on remakes to see if more even happen. If they do, I think there's a good chance that MB could be one of those titles thus potentially making it that much easier to find a nice version of the game. Just to many con's for this trade to consider it.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

Not crazy. They're both excellent pins. You'll be looking at a downgrade in condition unless you inject cash into the deal. I don't know if I'd say Monster Bash is better, but I think the theme resonates with people more so it's more popular. I have a mint CV. I'll not play it for a month or so and the next time I play I'm blown away by how great it is. For me, variety is more important than the individual pin.
Good luck with the trade!

CV is a awesome pin! I agree and did say in my post, that I would ADD cash on my end for the MB ... but I am only interested in HUO, totally restored, or near perfect examples.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from DB62:

but I am only interested in HUO, totally restored, or near perfect examples.

I think this is where you will run into trouble. I had a $10K bounty on a CQ MB for over a year. Not one of the sellers that contacted me were willing to do a trade that I recall. The subject did come up. Also, each one had "issues" that would prob drop it out of your condition requirements. I will say though you absolutely have some great trade bait. Finding the right person just may take a bit.

#22 9 years ago

Thanks everyone for the comments and your opinions, I appreciate it! I really do love CV a lot and like I said ... I am only putting this out there and gauging the interest on it right now.

I also did get some offers through messages, and I appreciate that and will think about them. I really am TORN on doing this or not and as a side note, my family also loves MB, so they would be happy either way also. I would only sell or trade a pin they loved, if I was getting another pin they loved just as much in return.

Keep your feedback coming guys ... I really need help on this

#23 9 years ago

Just wait for MBr and get a perfect NIB one.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Man if we had a crystal ball, I was going to offer the same advice. I just see Universal being a BIT*H about the license.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Agreed - if you're enjoying CV, why look for a trade right now? If an MBr is announced as the next PPS remake prices will come down and you'll be able to do a more even trade for a really nice MB (or sell the CV and buy an MBr if you like). And even if PPS remakes AFM or something else next, it's still hard to imagine MB prices skyrocketing since it'll still obviously be on the short list for a future remake. In other words, there's little downside to waiting if you're still loving the CV, and could be a significant upside if a remake announcement drives down MB prices.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Man if we had a crystal ball, I was going to offer the same advice. I just see Universal being a BIT*H about the license.

Maybe, but Farsight was able to get the license with seemingly no problem for the Pinball Arcade (didn't even need a kickstarter) so licensing may not be as big of a deal as people think. As has been repeated without end in the various "what's next, PPS?" threads, licensors exist to make money, and to do that they have to issue licenses.

#27 9 years ago

I don't think you're crazy for considering it, but I'd certainly hang onto the CV.

What are CQ quality MB's going for these days? A bit north of $10k I would imagine...

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

The license is a non-issue. PPS already has licenses for translites and cabinet art for MB as well as other parts that they sell on their site. I think it's pretty much a given at this point that if PPS remakes machines after MMR that MB will be one of the first.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

The license is a non-issue. PPS already has licenses for translites and cabinet art for MB as well as other parts that they sell on their site. I think it's pretty much a given at this point that if PPS remakes machines after MMR that MB will be one of the first.

Licenses are ALWAYS an issue. Have you ever dealt with trying to acquire one? Specifically one issued previously? Cuz I have. It's not as trivial as you make it out to be.

Sure they have licensed pieces, that doesn't mean they can build a machine, does it help, sure. That coupled with the point above about Farsight show that Universal is listening, but rights are not all encompassing, they apply to very specific products. Just cuz you have the rights to the decals and plastics doesn't then mean you can build a machine. Not how it works.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 11,300.00
Pinball Machine
Yellow River Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Toppers
Pinheadz

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Danbury, WI
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, WI
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cirqus-voltaire-huofeeling-out-the-interest and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.