By BallyWilliams

1 week ago

Stats

• 14 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 week ago by BallyWilliams
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20180113_203008 (resized).jpg
898af97f8b880a37834f0b56b6f04f6b36a0886d (resized).jpg
20180113_200148 (resized).jpg
20180113_140049 (resized).jpg
20180110_181758 (resized).jpg

#1 12 days ago

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0MI4px7PGrm

Hey there.

The above link is to the sound my cirqus Voltaire makes from both speakers when quiet.

It developed after a the visual audio board failed / fixed but it had been in storage for some years before this.

This sound has become slightly louder over the last month and for anyone with (sensitive) hearing it is annoying.

My other machines former and present did not have this issue and they have all been bally Williams 90s.

It is like the sound the LCD display board makes when in use... but louder.

I've also noticed that the game volume is unusually loud. Even on vol 1 it is too loud for quiet play.

Though the sound quality and music is excellent with no pops or crackle or reverb of any kind.

I think I have checked everything in the head box. I have tightened screws and tried the audio visual board separate from the unit. I've removed every board, cleaned them and put them back with all wires. No broken wires or eprom pins out of place.
If I unplug the speaker cable it goes away as does the sound.

There are no sound or music issues in the diagnostics. Google has a few posts but nothing I could use. Kindly strangers have mentioned grounding but this is a mystery to me.

I am a beginner so this issue is currently beyond my expertise but a problem. If someone can advise and detail any tests I could perform if nec., bearing in mind I am not experienced (yet and only have simple tools.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

20180110_181758 (resized).jpg

#2 11 days ago

Start by reseating the ribbon cables in the backbox. Just pull up halfway and push back in. I'd start there first to rule out a weak connection.

Next, there is a setting in the Adjustments menu A1 #28 called Min Volume Override. Set this to YES. This will allow you to lower the volume of the game all the way to off.

#3 11 days ago

Hello. Thanks for helping.

Ok so I've pulled out the ribbon cables and put back in while off. And moved them about while in and on. No difference. Is that what you meant by 'pull up half say?

Yes I already had the override on. After V8 it doesn't get much lower and V1 is still quite loud. There is no about vol 1-5 quiet range, as on my other ballywilliams.

When I unplug the speakers I only have the hum of the neon and the LCD and electric which is fine. It's the addional layer of speaker hum static which is annoying.

...?

#4 11 days ago

My CV is also quite loud on vol 1. I'm pretty sure this is normal. I recall reading something online where a resistor can be changed to a different value to solve this. Not sure where I saw this. Maybe in Clay's guides?

#5 11 days ago

Hello.

I'm not sure who clay is ?

Thanks for that advice fellow CV owner. Pleased to meet you.

I don't mind that it's a bit loud though is love to change that in time.

It's the hissing. I have young hearing I guess so audible hissing is distracting. Does your machine hiss quite loudly when just on idle ? (Not LCD or electrical hum). https://vocaroo.com/i/s0MI4px7PGrm

#6 10 days ago
Quoted from BallyWilliams:

I'm not sure who clay is ?

Clay published repair guides back in the day http://www.pinrepair.com/ The ones that would cover CV were taken down years ago. There are still rogue copies of his guides online if you can find them. Here is what I could find online.

Loud Hum from the Speakers.
Problem: a loud hum from the speaker which does not change in loudness as you change increase the game's volume. This is often caused by the large filter caps on the Audio board. On WPC-95, this is capacitors C36 & C37. To fix this problem, check for cracked solder joints on the leads to these capacitors. It is a good idea to solder jumper wires to the two capacitor's leads to ensure good continuity.

#7 9 days ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Loud Hum from the Speakers.
Problem: a loud hum from the speaker which does not change in loudness as you change increase the game's volume. This is often caused by the large filter caps on the Audio board. On WPC-95, this is capacitors C36 & C37. To fix this problem, check for cracked solder joints on the leads to these capacitors. It is a good idea to solder jumper wires to the two capacitor's leads to ensure good continuity.

So this is my audio visual board and I'm guessing the 2 large black cylinders are capacitors 36&37 (ref 1) So the brakes in solder joints would be on the leads (ref 2) ?

Or elsewhere....

I'll look for a labelled schematics of the board If I can (and attend electronics 101 at local college ).

20180113_140049 (resized).jpg

#8 9 days ago

No the leads would be underneath the board where they are soldered to the traces. What you have marked as 2 are the headers and connectors and may not even go to those caps. The leads may be bad but the caps could be as well and need replacing.

#9 9 days ago
Quoted from schudel5:

No the leads would be underneath the board where they are soldered to the traces. What you have marked as 2 are the headers and connectors and may not even go to those caps. The leads may be bad but the caps could be as well and need replacing.

This is the back of that board. The dark area was where a professional did a repair but I'm not sure what im looking at clearly ....

20180113_200148 (resized).jpg

#10 9 days ago

Probably those 4 connections there circled in red. Looking for cracked solder joints.

898af97f8b880a37834f0b56b6f04f6b36a0886d (resized).jpg

#11 9 days ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Probably those 4 connections there circled in red. Looking for cracked solder joints.

It was only recently professionally inspected / repaired but for a dif. Issue also transit can cause damage I guess.

Hmmm they look ok...what should they look like ?

If this is too complicated just say... as I hoped it was just a loose cable haha

20180113_203008 (resized).jpg

#12 9 days ago

use a magnifying glass to get a good look for cracked solder joints on those spots. sometimes they are very hard to see, and all it takes is a super small crack

#13 9 days ago

Hard to tell, but that's the worst soldering I've seen in a long time.

#14 8 days ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Hard to tell, but that's the worst soldering I've seen in a long time.

Ahh well I don't understand these things but the person is respected and helped get my system working and the bad soldering could have been someone else.

Not sure what to do now. I'm currently playing it only with base and which is a joke but nice to not have the hiss haha...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Sale Pending!
Glendale Heights, ILLINOIS
$ 189.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nyack, NY
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods
$ 989.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside