IMG_7775.JPG
IMG_7751.JPG
IMG_7749.JPG
IMG_7746.JPG
IMG_7753.JPG
20150514_194159.jpg
#1 8 years ago

so I am in some real deep stuff here.

I've been trying to test my Star Trip cocktail power supply. The manual ( http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/3605/Game_Plan_1979_Star_Trip_Repair_Manual.pdf ) explains what voltages should be at each test point, but I was really struggling as it didn't have a board layout showing their locations.

So I found another site ( http://www.beerorkid.com/pin/Gameplan%2077-85/ ) that showed me the information (page 22)

My problem is that I can't check the test points - I don't have them!

The regular board should look like this:gpps4.jpggpps4.jpg

My board looks like this: 20150429_202308.jpg20150429_202308.jpg

Yes, someone replaced the circuit board with components mounted on a piece of plywood and hard-wired together. The power supply seems to be mostly working but none of the solenoids come on at all so I wanted to test it.

I can't figure out where to put the multi-meter. Can anyone who can read the circuit diagram give me some pointers?

#2 8 years ago

No one replaced your circuit board. You have a normal early cocktail power supply there. The board you referenced above was found in upright machines and later cocktails like Vegas and Lady Sharpshooter.

Have you checked your fuses specifically the one for the coils? In the bottom right of your photo under the cardboard are the fuses. The second one from the bottom is a 10A fuse for the coils. If the fuses check out you can check voltages there though chances are if the fuses check out the voltages will as well.

viperrwk

#3 8 years ago

Here's the parts diagram for the power supply:

Game Plan Early Cocktail Power Supply Parts ListingGame Plan Early Cocktail Power Supply Parts Listing

And here's the schematic for the power supply:

Game Plan Early Cocktail Power Supply SchematicGame Plan Early Cocktail Power Supply Schematic

You should be able to easily check the voltages with this.

viperrwk

#4 8 years ago

thanks viperrwk!

I was really trying to understand why someone would do such a thing, unless the board had corroded so badly it needed to be thrown out. I guess that makes sense...kind of....

Thanks for the info - I am going to give it a try!

#5 8 years ago

The fuses are good.

It looks like my problem is voltages. According to the diagram, measuring voltages at the fuses, from the transformer side:
1) 3A slow blow, should be Line AC - did not measure
2) spare
3) 5A, should be 12V running through it. I measured 12V - good!
4) 5A, should be 7V running through it. I measured 3V - not good
5) 10A, should be 28V running through it. I measured 14V - not good
6) 5A, should be 6.5VAC - did not measure

It looks like the 7 and 28V circuits are running at half their voltages.

is this something fixable? or is it time to start trolling CL for a replacement P/S

#6 8 years ago

Sorry pronoun problem. When I said test the voltages "there" I meant on the power supply in general not specifically at the fuses. I realize the way I wrote it how you interpreted it. Apologies.

The two voltages which are half is to be expected since the fuses are on one leg of the bridge rectifier.

If you follow the schematic to the outputs you should check the voltages at the output connectors to make sure that the voltages are getting to where they need to be.

viperrwk

#7 8 years ago

Bizarre, I should probably take a few hundred hours and learn basic circuits

I'm going to check at the board connectors.. but it sounds like they *may* be ok, if the voltages at the fuses are at exactly 1/2.

Unless its a dead wire it might mean the solenoid board is toast - the original problem is none of the solenoids will fire.

#8 8 years ago

Did you check and see if you have voltage at the coils? If you do its not a voltage problem.

How to test/repair the SDU.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-plan-mpu-repair-a-shotgun-guide-w-pix/page/2#post-2048653

viperrwk

#9 8 years ago

Thanks viperrwk.

I'm reading through the guide. One thing not mentioned is how exact the power should be. When I test power at the pin connector between power supply and sdu, I am not getting 3xactly the power the circuit diag shows. I dont know if this is significant or within tolerance.

when I check pins 4 and 1,2 ... I get 12v matching circuit diagram
pins 4 and 12 give 33vac instead of 24
pins 4 and 13 give 27v instead of 24
pins 4 and 15 give 5v. Matching circuit diagram

is that within tolerance or could that have destroyed something on the sdu?

#10 8 years ago

Your voltages are fine. What's your voltage at the coils?

viperrwk

1 week later
#11 8 years ago

Not entirely sure how to measure the voltage at the coils!

I did find reference to checking the ac ripple on the power supply. The article ( beerorkid.com/pin/Gameplan 77-85) said to set my meter at vac and check across the 11000 mfd big cap on the power supply board. I should only see .2 vac on it.

it didnt say to check with power on or off, I assumed with power on.
mine shows 30 volts ac when powered on and measured across the two connectors (hard to see in pic but I have it set at 50VAC.) After a few min of being powered off it still shows about 2vac.

I am either doing it completely wrong or that capacitor is seriously toast!
Does this sound reasonable?

20150514_194159.jpg20150514_194159.jpg

#12 8 years ago

As a separate issue, I thought I would try and check a few transistors on the processor board with my new Atlas DCA55 which says it is easy to use. Just connect it and it figures everything out.

I checked transistor 31 (2N 4403 transistor) and the transistor 32's (2N 3904 transistor) - it shows 2 of them as transistors and 2 as not (see pictures.) I assume I should pull them off the board and check them while isolated. Note the previous repairs on the board, including a wire where a corroded trace used to be!

IMG_7753.JPGIMG_7753.JPGIMG_7746.JPGIMG_7746.JPGIMG_7749.JPGIMG_7749.JPGIMG_7751.JPGIMG_7751.JPG

#13 8 years ago

From the manual: The Atlas DCA is designed to analyse semiconductors that are not in-circuit, otherwise complex circuit effects will result in erroneous measurements.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

From the manual: The Atlas DCA is designed to analyse semiconductors that are not in-circuit, otherwise complex circuit effects will result in erroneous measurements.

Dang. I was afraid of that

#15 8 years ago

I can't tell looking at your meter what exactly you're measuring. But your voltages are fine at the power supply based on your previous readings.

If you are concerned about the big capacitor you can simply replace it or since you found a Peak product, a better tool investment would be the ESR70.

To measure the voltage at the coils turn the machine on, set meter to DC volts, positive lead on either lug and negative lead to ground. Should have coil voltage at both lugs.

If all coils have voltage then the problem is with the SDU board.

Measuring the reset transistors on the board as Terry points out is not possible with the DCA55. If the CPU board is booting I wouldn't be simply removing components to randomly test them. That board can be easily damaged even by the best repair people as those pads and traces are very sensitive.

viperrwk

#16 8 years ago

Thanks Viperrwk, I am 100% in agreement with you - I have no interest in randomly pulling components just to test them.

I'm going to replace the big cap just in case.. then spend some quality time with your shotgun guide. It looks like my problem (no solenoids or numbers display) is not a power-supply problem, so the next guess will be the processor board

#17 8 years ago

I am trying to figure out how to proceed on this star trip. It appears it is not a power supply problem.

with everything back in place and connected....when turned on all 6 lights on mpu light, test points on mpu board show correct voltwges, game sounds work, displays work.

pressing test gives lights - ok
test again gives display cycling -ok
test again gives solenoids -no errors but not a single solenoid fires

I've checked power and fuses. 24v to mpu is good.flippers work, scoring works, scoring off bumpers works but not one solenoid fires.

any idea what might cause this? A failed ic. Are there any voltage test points I can check on the sdu-1?

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

any idea what might cause this?

Quoted from viperrwk:

To measure the voltage at the coils turn the machine on, set meter to DC volts, positive lead on either lug and negative lead to ground. Should have coil voltage at both lugs.
If all coils have voltage then the problem is with the SDU board.

Only other thing to add is that if you're not getting voltage at the coils there is a 3ASB fuse under the playfield for the solenoids beyond the flippers.

viperrwk

#19 8 years ago

Progress! The fuse under the playfield was missing. Replaced with 3amp slow blow and it popped immediately when turned on. Multimeter says it has 29 volts across it. But at least it is progress

#20 8 years ago

Did this game ever work? Have you ever checked the resistance on the coils to see if perhaps one is bad? Should have asked earlier how much experience you've had repairing games since knowing that would better dictate the level of responses you're going to get. If the playfield fuse is blowing then there is a short somewhere in the coil power circuit. Need to check all the coils on the playfield and make sure they are at least 3 ohm resistance or more. If you want to get more granular get the coil chart for GP (available in various IPDB downloads) and the playfield schematics to check the specific value for each coil.

Also, you will not find many people around here who will provide GP help. It is not a popular platform.

viperrwk

#21 8 years ago

No worries, I really appreciate all your help on this. The table has never worked, I know nothing about pinball or electronics! that's what makes all of this so fun. I am learning something new and having a blast.

The table pops the playfield fuse about 1/2 second after the game-over sound plays. I didn't see any coils move but everything else works - playfield lights, flippers and digits display.

So I unsoldered all the coils and their diodes, checked each one and they seem fine (5.5 and 8 ohm.) Checked each and every switch and all are open. I powered it back up with every solenoid still unconnected and it popped again - back to the store for more fuses, lol.

In looking over things carefully, I noticed one of the switches seems to have a diode missing (see red circles in the middle of the image - the switch on the right has one (disconnected for testing) and the one on the left does not. I need to check the playfield schematic to see if it is supposed to be there and see what else I may be missing.
IMG_7775.JPGIMG_7775.JPG

#22 8 years ago

Good to know.

One diode covers the left, right and top roll over switches. What you see there is normal. Also, that has nothing to do with your blowing the playfield fuse.

If all the playfield coils are disconnected and you are still blowing the playfield fuse, then you are having a problem with one of the coils in the cabinet - most likely the knocker unless your machine has optional play meters. Try disconnecting the knocker and see if the fuse still blows after that.

viperrwk

#23 8 years ago

Just wanted to report - that you are a freaking genius!

That coil was burned looking and shows only 2.5 ohm on the meter. When I turned the table on with it disconnected, it did NOT blow!
IMG_7776.JPGIMG_7776.JPG
I reconnected a couple of coils and verified they are working. This is real progress!

btw - I had forgotten another coil as well, there is one inside the playfield that shoots the ball from the center exit over. I didn't see it because it is kind of hidden inside the double-layer playfield. Fortunately it is ok and works.

I am sooooo excited!
Mark

#24 8 years ago

That coil certainly looks roached and probably needs replacing.

Also you could have disconnected it at the connector to test, didn't have to desolder it but if you want to replace the knocker coil you would have to desolder it then. Glad you seemed to have found the problem. Enjoy!

viperrwk

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 129.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/circuit-help-needed-with-star-trip-power-supply and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.