• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20191130_131405 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hi, I know that not all score reels are supposed to have boards, but does it make sense that only the 100 reel doesn't have one on this Pro Football? I'm troubleshooting an issue where 100 points is missed every few times. Happens with 500 and 300 scoring. Every 4th or 5th time, I'll get 400 instead of 500, or 200 instead of 300.

IMG_20191130_131405 (resized).jpgIMG_20191130_131405 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

I think most EMs don’t have a board for the 100s reel. There is one on the 10s for the match function. There is one on the 1000s and 10,000s, those two are used for the high score award function.

#3 4 years ago

Might be the motor switch that actually scores the 500 or 300 points is just undergapped, overgapped or dirty, but don't know if both of those would go thru the same switch. Are you getting the correct number of chime rings or is it also missing one just like the score?

#4 4 years ago

The issue has nothing to do with having a circuit board on the reel. Make sure the reel isn't binding, then check the motor switches which pulse the 100 point relay. Check the lever which moves those motor switches. I had a game once which sometimes gave 4 or 40 points instead of 5 and 50. Seems like someone tried to turn the motor backward, and bent the end of the lever which pulses the switches. Straightened it out, and all was good.
Check the 100 point relay as well. Tighten the switch stack screws, then clean and gap the switches. By any chance, is this a reimport game with a 50 HZ motor?

#5 4 years ago

I agree. Check your motor switches. Sounds like one may be dirty or may need to gap adjusted. (it seem to work 4 out of 5 time). also spot check the motor "teeth" and make sure they are all there and one is not bent.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

100 points is missed every few times

When it works correctly does the 100 point score reel move quickly or sluggishly?

#7 4 years ago

Thanks for the info and suggestions. The chimes are always in synch with the scoring, even when it’s wrong. I think this is happening with thousands too, so I’ll try to find out what they have in common. Score motor switch makes sense. Time to try to decipher the schematics. The 100s reel is not sluggish. I’m proud of how crisp it clicks on all numbers.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

Thanks for the info and suggestions. The chimes are always in synch with the scoring, even when it’s wrong. I think this is happening with thousands too, so I’ll try to find out what they have in common. Score motor switch makes sense. Time to try to decipher the schematics. The 100s reel is not sluggish. I’m proud of how crisp it clicks on all numbers.

OK so I had this same issue on my first machine and subsequent machines thereafter.. usually happens with the 100s but can also happen with any other real as well. If your scoring is missing steps and such it is usually an indication that the plate on the relay for that score reel has been magnetized. you can verify this by sliding a thin piece of paper in between the relay plate and the relay itself. If the problem goes away then you have 2 options, disassemble the relay and demagnetize the plate ( you can search this forum on how to do that, or buy a new one ) or place a piece of electrical tape between the two parts as a semi permanent solution. Number 2 is what I do as it works fine, is effective and does not require a disassembly of the relay.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

100 points is missed every few times

This circuit, when working correctly, keeps the 100 Score (M) relay energized until the Add Hundreds Unit solenoid pulls in all the way.

For a switch to work 3 things are necessary:
1) When open, there should be a small space between the contact points (duh)
2) When closing, the long blade's contact point should push the short blade's contact point enough to move the short blade
3) The contact points should be clean, which they usually will be if #2 is happening

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#10 4 years ago

Another thing to look at is the finger spring that engages into the reel and keeps it from reversing. I've had reels that didn't score correctly and it was because that spring wasn't engaging correctly and when the reel went to step it would reverse slightly and usually come up one step short.

If the chimes aren't correct though I'd check the 100 point relay to make sure all the switches are right. The bane of EMs is switches that looking like they are making but aren't, and vice versa.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
$ 45.00
Flipper Parts
Tom's Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Roswell, GA
850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saratoga Springs, NY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/circuit-board-on-score-reels?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.