• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dupont (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

#1 11 days ago

This post is about my recent restoration of a #Circa 1933 pinball machine by replacing the defective computer chips with an Arduino. See the story in my profile page for more details. Anyone who has technical questions or comments can ask here. For starters, here is a video of the restored machine in action.

#2 11 days ago

I saw your "Pinside Story" and was intrigued. Nice to see a video of this in action!

#3 11 days ago

Besides Take Five and Circa 1933

Roy Clark The Entertainer also has same Playfield layout and gameplay
pasted_image (resized).png

https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=785&picno=68979

#4 9 days ago

Really, really nice work. I want to try a glo ball in my Roy, I hear it spices gameplay up a bit!

#5 9 days ago

OK, this is awesome!

Quoted from pinwiki.com, https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=ALI/Fascination_Repair#Introduction

4.3.2 Generation 2, All generation 2 solid-state ALI / Fascination games use the exact same MPU board and software; game "rules" are changed simply by rearranging the placement of switches, targets, lamps, pop bumpers, and other elements on the playfield.

So your modification could potentially bring back all these games and possibly others where the custom IC's are NLA:

Take Five
Flame of Athens
Hearts Spades
Disco '79
Star Shooter
Circa 1933 (Fascination Int.)
Eros II (Fascination Int.)
Eros One (Fascination Int.)
Roy Clark The Entertainer (Fascination Int.)

You could clean up the installation a bit by making or buying cables that use something like the DuPont type male-male connectors and they are relatively cheap.

dupont (resized).jpg
#6 9 days ago

KenH, wow, that’s really interesting about the other machines using the same software. pinwiki is a very useful site, it could have saved me some time trying to decode the handwritten schematics!
Those connectors look like what I used actually.

#7 9 days ago

Can anyone suggest a way to post my program code? A 2000-line comment wouldn’t be very convenient.

#8 9 days ago
Quoted from electric_piano5k:

Can anyone suggest a way to post my program code? A 2000-line comment wouldn’t be very convenient.

GitHub?

#9 9 days ago

That is so cool! Gee I wish I was that smart.

#10 8 days ago

Very entertaining game! Owned a few take fives and roy clark games. Those 4 drop targets are super compelling IMO!

#11 8 days ago

Outstanding work! If you need a location to upload the file contact me and I'll host it for everyone.

#12 8 days ago

+1 on Github. Really easy to use and free. Its a great place to find code for about anything you can imagine.

If you want to see an example you can check out my Black Hole disc blinker/motor controller board there:

https://github.com/KenH2000/BlackHoleDiscBlink

You could post your entire project there, with photos, videos, assembly instructions, code and so on.

#13 8 days ago

Its awesome that theres now hope for some of these games that have been bricks for decades due to unreliable and unobtanium components. Nice work!

#14 8 days ago

The code I wrote can be found on Github:
https://github.com/electric-piano5k/Circa1933Arduino/releases/tag/v1.0
I also uploaded there a spreadsheet with the wiring connections between the pinball board and the Arduino.

#15 7 days ago

Awesome project! Thank you for sharing!!

#16 1 day ago

OP forgot to say excellent work and absolutely amazing that you are willing to share with the community!!!

Have a great day and play more pinball!

#17 1 day ago

This is so freakin cool!!!

Now if only the arduino could do something about our clunky Allied flippers.

#18 1 day ago

I feel like something should be added to the pinwiki in the Allied Leisure section. This is potentially the only way to revive these games if the 6530's are dead.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Men
1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Syracuse, NY
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!