Scan 1.jpeg
IMG_8383-266.jpeg
IMG_2161-274.jpeg
IMG_8823-77.jpeg
IMG_0009-993.jpeg
IMG_6151-525.jpeg
IMG_8383-416.jpeg
#1 9 years ago

Now that Space Shuttle is mostly done, it's finally time to put some effort into a machine I really love. I came across a Chicago Coin Cinema in the loft of a barn a few years ago. The owners seemed to have forgotten it was up there, and I suspect it hadn't seen the light of day in a long time. Overall, the machine doesn't look too horrible, but it shows its age.
IMG_2161-274.jpegIMG_2161-274.jpeg

Luckily, the backglass is absolutely beautiful.
IMG_0009-993.jpegIMG_0009-993.jpeg

I want to get Cinema up to speed, but over the course of this, i'd like to learn a little bit more about restoration and EMs.

The playfield could use a little love, but it's not as bad as it could be. Bit rough in some spots.
IMG_8823-77.jpegIMG_8823-77.jpegIMG_8383-416.jpegIMG_8383-416.jpeg

The plastics are generally in pretty good shape except for the plastic that sits in the center of the playfield. At some point it broke and was very poorly glued back.
IMG_6151-525.jpegIMG_6151-525.jpeg

The goals for now:
1) Create a stencil and repaint the cabinet.
2) Touch up the playfield (a repaint would be super but hey, i'm not expecting brilliance)
3) Recreate all plastics
4) Take apart and clean everything under the playfield and in the backbox. One of the score reels has always has trouble, so it's time to fix that.

This may take me a long time, but I feel the machine deserves it!
Scan 1.jpegScan 1.jpeg
It's time to get crackin' on plastics!

#2 9 years ago

Today was at least moderately productive. I get the top of the playfield mostly stripped. I've learned that this machine was built to never come apart - much of it is nailed together. I've left a few things that I need to figure out how to take apart. The biggest issue is how filthy this thing is underneath, there's so much rust and grime. It'll all come clean eventually.
Od2RGTS.jpgOd2RGTS.jpg

I did get the playfield mostly wiped down, took stock of parts that needed to ordered, and pulled off some very grubby mylar.
F1ggfvA.jpgF1ggfvA.jpg

I spent a small amount of time trying to start touching things up enough, but it's starting to make a bit of a difference already.
TzrdaSr.jpgTzrdaSr.jpg

3 years later
#3 6 years ago

Buddy of mine has a cinema that we've been talking about restoring, what ended up happening with your machine?

#4 6 years ago

Yes would like to know also. I have several Cinema and Hollywood games around. They also all are not working and wondered about the fixes that they might need. The two games seem alike.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cinema-time-to-finally-fix-up-a-favorite and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.