• 23 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ArcadiusMaximus
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC02338_(resized).JPG
DSC02337_(resized).JPG
DSC02339_(resized).JPG

#1 3 years ago

I picked up a Taxi from a well-meaning but foolish guy who had the machine sitting on a crate, not legs. But in order to keep it from sliding it around, he cut off a piece from the bottom of the front end (see pics) so it would sit inside a frame. Jesus.

Using the measurements from my Bad Cats and Riverboat Gambler, I have cut out a piece that's 22" wide by 1 11/16" tall to fill the hole. I'll also have to cut a skinny piece of 3/16" board to fill the end of the bottom panel that was cut off.

Unfortunately the cut across the front was made with a hand saw with a shakey hand and is not straight. I was going to run four wood screws up into the original piece, fill the crack and sand. What should I use for filler?

Paint matching is going to be a chore, it's kind of an orangey-yellow, I have a friend who can help with that. As you can see in the pics, the "Taxi" and "Williams" art is half gone. The art is not a decal, it's paint. What's the best way to duplicate that art? BAA has a full game decal kit for $250, but I don't want to spend that much just for one decal, and besides, they say that there were about five different shades of yellow on Taxi depending on production date, so mine may not match their decal anyhow.

What do you think? Thanks,

Alan

DSC02339_(resized).JPG

DSC02337_(resized).JPG

DSC02338_(resized).JPG

#2 3 years ago

Dumb question but does the idiot have the piece he cut off still ?

#3 3 years ago

Aw heck no, he cut if off and threw it away.

He had the game for years and I asked him if the displays worked and he said no, they never worked, but it was a fun game anyway. Goes to the popularity of a Taxi.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

I picked up a Taxi from a well-meaning but foolish guy who had the machine sitting on a crate, not legs. But in order to keep it from sliding it around, he cut off a piece from the bottom of the front end (see pics) so it would sit inside a frame.

?!?!?!?!?!?

#5 3 years ago

I know, it's kind of a tragedy. You want to grab the guy by the shirt and shake him until his eyeballs rotate in opposite directions, and ask, WTF? But he was a very nice guy, living in a log cabin, and he was just.....rural.

#6 3 years ago

Wow! is all I can say. It's amazing what people do to these great machines.
Best advice would be is to marry up a new board that when in place replicates the full height of what it is supposed to be. There will be gaps because of the bad hand saw cut that was made but can be easily filled with bondo. Finish by sanding and then either do your best painting or buy the decals and if the front does not match the sides,then also do the side decals. Or just live with the front being a different color than the sides. Not much more you can do imho.

#7 3 years ago

I think that receives the nomination for the worst hack found in a pinball machine.

#8 3 years ago

It is what it is. At least the whole machine didn't end up in a dumpster.

Patch it up and get a good artist to touch it up.

#9 3 years ago

Awful. This guy basically turned a Taxi into an Uber.

#10 3 years ago

I would suggest supporting the cabinet and remove the front legs. Take a framing square and scribe a straight line across the uneven area and remove the excess material. The coindoor may need to removed in order to make a cut to remove the excess. A skill saw could be used with the blade adjusted at the right depth. The corners of the cabinet are each mitered at a 45 degree angle and would require careful cutting in order not to cut through the sides of the cabinet. Once the cabinet has a square cut on it, a replacement piece could be attached. I would suggest using biscuit joints and wood glue instead of trying to attach with wood screws. The cabinet is constructed with plywood and would probably split if wood screws were used. The lockdown bar could be removed which would allow some clamps to secure the new piece until the glue sets up.
Once dry the seam could be filled with automotive bondo and sanded before the painting process.

#11 3 years ago

Since it's already cut on the front, I'd cut more off of it and take the portion removed to a paint store and have them do a color match and use that for the section that you replace. It is on the front, but with a decent color match and repainting the "TAXI" logo on the bottom, it's low enough that it probably won't be that noticeable.

#12 3 years ago

Over the years I have found two part epoxy the best solution for strong wood repairs. Epoxy your replacement piece on adding wood screws like you stated above and then once dry fill with additional epoxy and sand as smooth as possible. Once finished you can use a little bondo or filler to finish things off before painting.

Why worry about Taxi logo at all? Just paint to bottom of coin door yellow then get a good picture of the front of a taxi and have sign shop make you a decal. If you prefer painting it just make a stencil from a good picture and you will be good to go.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

I picked up a Taxi from a well-meaning but foolish guy who had the machine sitting on a crate, not legs. But in order to keep it from sliding it around, he cut off a piece from the bottom of the front end (see pics) so it would sit inside a frame. Jesus.
Using the measurements from my Bad Cats and Riverboat Gambler, I have cut out a piece that's 22" wide by 1 11/16" tall to fill the hole. I'll also have to cut a skinny piece of 3/16" board to fill the end of the bottom panel that was cut off.
Unfortunately the cut across the front was made with a hand saw with a shakey hand and is not straight. I was going to run four wood screws up into the original piece, fill the crack and sand. What should I use for filler?
Paint matching is going to be a chore, it's kind of an orangey-yellow, I have a friend who can help with that. As you can see in the pics, the "Taxi" and "Williams" art is half gone. The art is not a decal, it's paint. What's the best way to duplicate that art? BAA has a full game decal kit for $250, but I don't want to spend that much just for one decal, and besides, they say that there were about five different shades of yellow on Taxi depending on production date, so mine may not match their decal anyhow.
What do you think? Thanks,
Alan

DSC02339_(resized).JPGDSC02337_(resized).JPGDSC02338_(resized).JPG

That's repairable and if done right no one will ever know.

#14 3 years ago

I detailed a similar repair here...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-wood-repair#post-2471357

In order to get a clean cut on the bottom, I clamp a guide to the cabinet then slice with a skill saw. I went ahead and cut right through the sides of the cabinet...those cuts were later filled with Bondo.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

Why worry about Taxi logo at all? Just paint to bottom of coin door yellow then get a good picture of the front of a taxi and have sign shop make you a decal

Good idea. Could anyone take pics of the "Taxi" and "Williams" art and email them to me? I have a good local sign shop that should be able to handle that. tiredowl@zoominternet.net

#16 3 years ago

UPDATE. I've made some progress: grafted in a new piece, filled, sanded and primed it. A good friend has the playfield and is touching us some wear spots around the pops. He has also found the fonts for the "Taxi" and "Williams" art and can make decals for them and the black/white lines. The font for the word "Taxi" is: Hoefler text black.

But I also want to give a great big shout out to Pinsider "Blackbeard", who is John from Fredonia, NY. Because his collection showed he was a Taxi owner, I emailed him about two hours ago and asked for measurements of the size and spacing of the art. I expected a reply tomorrow or the next few days. Within ONE HOUR I had pics and measurements texted to my phone. all I needed.

Thanks to all the guys that responded to this posting, especially Blackbeard. I will post pics of the finished product when done.

Alan

#17 3 years ago

Glad to help revive this pin.

Looking forward to pics when complete!

#18 3 years ago

Sorry I did not see this earlier. I have a Taxi Cabinet

#19 3 years ago

Heads up you can buy playfield decals cheaply on ebay.

ebay.com link » Taxi Pinball Machine Insert Decals

#20 3 years ago

What an idiot, can't believe someone would do that.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Heads up you can buy playfield decals cheaply on ebay.
ebay.com link ยป Taxi Pinball Machine Insert Decals

Those are insert decals, not front cabinet decals. But I did have some worn insert art so I bought a set of those from Jeff last month.

Thanks

#22 3 years ago

It takes a special kind of idiot to do that to a game. I guess he wanted to play it pretty badley.

#23 3 years ago

Not sure how far along you are but don't joint the scribe and cabinet together with screws. Over time it might begin to bulge out since the screw is essentially forcing its way up between the plys. Thermal expansion might weaken the fix over time too. You should use dowels and wood glue instead. Drill 4-5 holes in the cabinet ( up) and 5-5 matching holes in the scribe ( down). Once the scribe is in place, apply glue to any part of the cabinet and scribe that touch to improve the connection. Once the glue dries use either bondo or icing ( like bondo with more resin) to fill the crack. Just my 2 cents good luck !

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Machine - For Sale
Ashland, OH
$ 399.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Glendale, AZ
$ 21.00
$ 94.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Austin, TX
$ 67.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside