(Topic ID: 161031)

"Chubbie" by Stoner, Do You have any Info? Need Help.

By mg81

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by mg81
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I just picked up a Chubbie made by Stoner. (I know a great pin title and company name)

Here is the link to the one I have (the "free game" version with the big star on the backglass)

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=5354

I am really looking forward to getting this pin fully working again. I was able to get it back to life from being permanently stuck in "tilt", which is probably why it was in such great shape when I got it.

But I really need to know how this pin even works to diagnosis it.

All of the tags are missing from the various internal parts and it would really help me to know the "rule set" so I can figure out was is supposed to happen.

If you own or have ever played one of these I would really appreciate you help.

-What is that big advancing wheel in the back of the box? I assume it is some sort of progressive jackpot that builds up for the payout?

-What is the secondary key in the front of the machine supposed to reset?

-What are the mechanisms in the cabinet behind the transformer and tilt coil unit? I assume one must work the "free game" coil on coin door. But I don't get how the machine counts the two free games.

Feel free to call me or send me your telephone number and a good time to call if you don't want to spend the time typing answers to my pile of questions.

Thanks,
    [email protected]
    814-876-0282

#3 7 years ago

There's a very distant munchies joke in there somewhere.

Good luck with your search! The advancing wheel in the back sounds like a stepper of some sort, yeah, does it advance every time you hit one of the pop bumpers? It's hard to tell what it does without knowing the ruleset or exact objective. Again, good luck with it. Looks like a neat piece.

#4 7 years ago

Clearly a stepper, sorry I don't know my EM terms as well as I know my SS pins.

The stepper gets mechanically advanced with every coin that is put in, but it also appears to have two coils, one to advance it and one to reset it. But I am unclear about what part of the rule set advances it.

The rules as best I can tell are:
    -Hit every bumper once and get two free games (but I have no idea how the machine keeps count of the two free games)
    -Once every bumper is hit you get an "extra ball" by hitting the #7 bumper. (But why care about an extra ball? It must be building something with every bumper hit.)
    -The instructions claim the bumpers would "reset" once they were all hit, but this can't be. The only way to reset the bumpers is by pressing in the coin slide for a new game.

These are the only rules that are written on the player instruction card. But I get the feeling their were other "rules" that were just known to players but were not written down since this machine clearly appeared to have a "payout" function. Thought I am guessing it was called a "high score".

Hidden in the backglass are a bunch of numbers that are only visible when they are lighted from behind. I get the feeling these must be the "pay out" that is awarded by the operator. But I have not yet figured out what turns those lights on, they have not yet illuminated.

I am hoping to find someone who has played or owns a fully functioning one to let me know what really goes on with the rule set.

2 weeks later
    #5 7 years ago

On the off chance that anyone comes looking for info, I have pretty much figure this machine out.

The stepper in the back is the Free game counter/payout indicator. Once you complete all of the bumpers any more hits on the bumpers will give you two free games. Assuming this game is in a place where the operator would pay you out instead of letting you play out all of the games you won the key in the front of the cabinet on the right hand side will reset the setter wheel to zero.

The resetting function is enjoyable to watch, it uses air pressure to slow the dropping of a plunger in a coil to give the stepper a change to advance one notch per cycle of the plunger in the coil.

The free games count up via lights behind the painted backglass.

The game allows free plays via a coil on the coin door that is powered when the stepper is in any position other than zero AND you start to push in the coil slide ~1".

Overall this is a very fun design, very mechanical with a lot going on. I am hoping to fix the timer which turns the game off if you take too long with your game play, it is like a kitchen mechanical timer that has a leaf switch the opens if the timer runs out.

#6 7 years ago

Overall the biggest problems I have had with this machine are rusted solid mechanical parts and springs that had become very weak. No surprise, the machine is almost 80 years old.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chubbie-by-stoner-do-you-have-any-info-need-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.