Topic Stats

• 115 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Patofnaud
  • Topic is favorited by 33 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 64 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20160423_114622_(resized).jpg
20160423_115800_(resized).jpg
20160423_114632_(resized).jpg
Elvira Backglass.jpg
Elvira LEDs.jpg
IMG_20140111_142303_516.jpg
IMG_20140204_214827_611.jpg
IMG_20140120_225525_614-259.jpg
IMG_20140205_195329_429.jpg
IMG_20140126_232845_896.jpg
IMG_20140126_212132_731.jpg
IMG_20140126_205207_674.jpg
IMG_20140126_194438_127.jpg
IMG_20140126_190602_992.jpg
IMG_20140120_225525_614.jpg
IMG_20140120_230011_209.jpg

There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 6 years ago

I figured with all the different things I've done to my EATPM over the last few months I should probably put it down on 'paper'. If anyone is looking for things to occupy their time and mod their EATPM I present you Elvira.

I should have taken more pics, but I have a folder full of snaps to work with.

Original machine was in decent shape. EATPM is a 1989 Williams System 11C machine that I bought off an operator* back in the early 90's for $1000. I've owned it since.

DSC00742.JPG DSC00743.JPG elvira-bg.jpg

* Operator was a guy I met a few times in my earlier days of hunting pins. He was an operator down near the Fall River area of MA if memory serves. His name was Bill and he part timed as an auctioneer. I set up this deal when we chatted after he ran the auction at Salisbury Beach in MA as one of the last great arcades there was closing up shop.

I bought a Japanese Pachislo machine at that action and my buddy bought a couple SkeeBall machines. EATPM was in his shop and when I bought it, it had the usual recently routed problems, hacked GI strings, tons of bulbs out, a bad switch here and there and crappy almost dead flippers.

$1000 back then was a LOT to pay for a routed pin, but she was so young and pretty I had to take her home.

Post edited by Patofnaud : added some history on the purchase of the machine.

#2 6 years ago

Overall she was decent, had some decal damage around the legs. Thankfully the worse is in the back legs so a leg protector and some airbrushing will clean that up. Playfield was in decent shape. Don't have any early full PF pics...

DSC00745.JPG

#3 6 years ago

This is gonna be a fun journey...can't wait to see more pix..

#4 6 years ago

First thing I did was strip off ALL metal Pinchroma for some powdercoat. I'm going with a yellow/green (kind of a mother of peal look that changes with angle) and a clearcoat that has some glow in the dark.

This will match the 'Party Monsters' down the side art.

To take the siderails off;
o I put two rows of painters tape below the rails.
o I took a razor and cut along and up under the rail so that if I messed up I would not tear the decal down the side.
o I took a sharp putty knife and a rubber mallet and drove the knife up under the rail.
o I used shims to hold the rail off the body as I worked my way down.

DSC00749.JPG

Currently she has no metal at all on her, no coin door, no rails, no plunger and no lockbar and is sitting on an old set of legs I had laying around. All of it is getting the royal treatment.

#5 6 years ago

Then I ordered bright green t-molding form T-Molding.com and swapped out that brick red factory stuff.

Elvira_red_trim.JPG Elvira_green_trim.JPG

#6 6 years ago

Time to LED out the backglass... This happened over time. First pic is early on, second pic is today.

Original incandescent you see in the previous trim post.

DSC00770.JPG DSC00914.JPG

Adding a pic with backglass off.

DSC00951_notes.jpg

#7 6 years ago

Couple minor playfield repairs. BAT was a tad worn, I've since touched it up and put Mylar over it. I don't have a newer pic of that area, but I ended up also putting in 'pink' LED behind them to mix in with the red theme of that area but not blend in. I tried red, it was too 'color bombed'.

DSCF2323.JPG

Added a pic of the pink BAT rollover

DSC00953.JPG

#8 6 years ago

EATPM has a small issue that at low speeds, the ball can get stuck behind the lower right pop bumper. This is because there is a slight gap between it and the nearest post that will end up holding the ball. I fixed this by putting a couple extra post rubbers there... I don't have any newer shots of that area (ramps are all back in place).

DSC00779b.jpg DSC00781.JPG

#9 6 years ago

Nice picture log...keep 'em coming

#10 6 years ago

I LED'd out the playfield. I don't have any good early shots but the following shots will show how it looks now.

I added EL-wire to the two main ramps.

I started by picking up some cheap $6 kits off of Amazon to see what it would look like. I got green red and blue. Decided I liked Red on right and green on left. I ended up buying the 'good' stuff.

I bought custom length with quick connects, one for each side of the ramp. That way I don't have to loop the wire around the end of the ramps. I start at playfield on base of ramp and terminate up behind playfield.

http://www.elwirepros.com/quickconnect-el-wire-32.html

Then using 4 way splitter (4 for wire runs, 1 to the inverter).

http://www.elwirepros.com/quickconnector-splitters-for-el-wire.html

Hooking the 4 wires into an inverter that runs on 12vdc

http://www.elwirepros.com/mini-1039-to-3039-.html

I originally hooked the inverted off of the unreg 12VDC input to the 3 switch opto board under the playfield.

DSC00837.JPG DSC00841.JPG DSC00849.JPG

#11 6 years ago

More on the EL-wire project is here... http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/designing-a-eatpm-ramp-mod-using-el-wire

Afterwards I found a neat little converter that takes most any low voltage AC or DC and convert to a different voltage DC. So I moved my EL-wire power off of the unreg 12V and hooked it to a GI lamp via a fuse.

This lets the EL-wire turn off and on as the GI does during the game and attract mode.

Input on the left is 6VAC from GI, output in red/black on the right is set to 12VDC.

DSC00912.JPG

#12 6 years ago

I upgraded the flipper assemblies from old style William 9-11 era, up to the newer WPC style. No pics, but if you are interested there is a good thread here; http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

I never had the original slotted yellow bat flippers, just the standard Williams white ones. So I updated using the Scared Stiff models.

DSC00911.JPG

#13 6 years ago

I replaced the original opaque red flipper buttons with red translucent buttons and back-lit them using Vid's trick.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-lighted-flipper-buttons-for-418

Only problem I had was a lot of light bleed between the playfield and the cab. So I took some blue painters tape and made a small 'louver' to cover the flipper lamps and spray painted them to match the inside of the cab.

#14 6 years ago

I printed out customer cards made by a fellow Pinsider.

#15 6 years ago

Lookin AWESOME!

#16 6 years ago

I love EATPM, my fav Sys11. I'm just a sucker for the theme. Can't wait to see how the powdercoat comes out.

What flippers are you using?

Edit: Posted too slow, I see the bony flippers now.

#17 6 years ago

The powdercoat should be completed any day now (glow in the dark clear coat is not normally stocked and it takes a while to get). But as of today here is what she looks like (minus all metal). You can make out my pink BAT from the lower shot.

DSC00913.JPG DSC00915.JPG

For PF LED's;
I went red in the upper right, green in the upper left to match the overall game colors there and the EL-wire the same.
Center I went with Cointaker Orange Frosted to match the overall plastics color there.
Lower I went with CT cool white.
Inserts are color matched CT superbrights and minis.
Pink behind the white BAT rollovers, white stood out way too much up there, and red blended in way too much. Pink is brighter and blends in with the red theme of that area.

For BG LEDS:
Color matched the feature matches on the charcoal grill.
CT frosted blue behind the upper left EVIRA with PBL #89 red flashers.
CT warm white frosted behind Elvira and a few other faces on the BG.
Green frosted behind the cauldron and beer mug.
All rest is CT cool white min's.

#18 6 years ago

Is anyone else hypnotized by this thread?? Great stuff!!

#19 6 years ago

Are your legs kinda like this?

IMG_2060.JPG

#20 6 years ago

Am I crazy for wondering that that machine would look like with yellow bony flippers? I guess I'm just used to the segmented yellow ones and miss the color.

#21 6 years ago

I also swapped out the black post rubber over to colored yellow and green and added Cliffy's to the left and right ramps and fabricated new lower coffin stickers by scanning bad originals and photofinishing in the missing pieces.

DSC00920.JPG DSC00921.JPG

#22 6 years ago

Are your legs kinda like this?

Alex I am sure will post a pic when they are done. They are 3 step color and will be unique. The color is called Superchrome - Shocker Yellow - Glowbee Clear.

Would look like this for the first 2 steps (then you would have to imagine a light glow and be photo-reactive like the green on the playfield).

SuperChomeShockerYellow.jpg

#23 6 years ago

Still to do...

I have a plunger decal protector from Pinballife to add once I get my plunger housing back from PC.

Need to reinstall the wireform ball rails (had them powdercoated also), siderails, coindoor, legs (already have new gold levelers to compliment them, and nylon bolt protectors) and lockdown bar.

Then I think I am about done. I started this about the end of January.

#24 6 years ago

Do you have a custom Plunger Rod Thingy??

#25 6 years ago

Do you have a custom Plunger Rod Thingy??

No, I was thinking about getting one of these hot dogs that Pinthusiast used on his. It matchs the theme of the barbecue in the game. For now I just have the default black one.

EATPM_hotdog03.jpg

#26 6 years ago

Hah! I was thinking of an eyeball, or spider, or something creepy....but the hot dog works!

#27 6 years ago

I love it! A modded EATPM. The EL ramps look great.

#28 6 years ago

This is my dream game and should the moon and stars align correctly and I ever get one I'll gladly steal some of your ideas.

Great pics and good work

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

I printed out customer cards made by a fellow Pinsider.

Need to know who did those cards , I need a set for mine, those would look sharp

#30 6 years ago

Machine looks really nice! Hope to have mine looking good soon..........

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Need to know who did those cards , I need a set for mine, those would look sharp

Zachster did. Guy is very talented indeed. http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eatpm-custom-apron-free-play-and-instruction-cards

#32 6 years ago

Thanks a bunch, just need to find someone with a good color printer>>>>>>>>>>>

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Thanks a bunch, just need to find someone with a good color printer>>>>>>>>>>>

With the right scaling, I've had luck getting the kids at the Walgreens photo department to print them for 19 cents a piece.

(They have to be put on a 4x6 print, scaled with the correct white space around them).

I've had to sign a fair use document twice, and I've used them to print cards for all of my pins.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

With the right scaling, I've had luck getting the kids at the Walgreens photo department to print them for 19 cents a piece.
(They have to be put on a 4x6 print, scaled with the correct white space around them).
I've had to sign a fair use document twice, and I've used them to print cards for all of my pins.

Thanks, I just emailed Zach and thought about having him print them so I can make a donation to the charity he supports..

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Awesome cards. I totally missed those. Nice work Zach!

#36 6 years ago

I've been using a good Bother inkjet printer with photo paper with good results.

#37 6 years ago

Did you replace the ramps on her? If so, where did you pick them up?

#38 6 years ago

My ramps have always been good. Slight chips/cracks starting but Cliffy's covered that right up.

#39 6 years ago

Here's mine with the new green displays!

image.jpg

#40 6 years ago

Ooooooo nice. I have a Bugs Bunny with the red Xpin, contemplated swapping it over but the orange matches the playfield better... Now green? Hmmmm....

3 weeks later
#41 6 years ago
Quoted from PINBELL:

Here's mine with the new green displays!

Nice touch.I love threads like this, so many ideas to steal.

#42 6 years ago

I've updated the backglass post and the BAT rollover posts to show more pics.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

I've updated the backglass post and the BAT rollover posts to show more pics.

ALL LEDS, looks great. Thanks for the picture. Did you get your powdercoated parts put on yet?

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

No, I was thinking about getting one of these hot dogs that Pinthusiast used on his. It matchs the theme of the barbecue in the game. For now I just have the default black one.

That is my favorite mod I've seen so far on a EATPM. Of course Elvira would want a hotdog on there.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

ALL LEDS, looks great. Thanks for the picture. Did you get your powdercoated parts put on yet?

Not yet. I believe they are done, but I sent another machines metal in for PC and asked Pinchroma to hold it up and do one shipment back once the second was done. Hopefully that is done soon as it was a semi-small job compared to EATPM.

#46 6 years ago

This is a great thread, your game is really coming along nicely. I'm not planing on going this far on mine but a couple of things you did are really interesting.

I put some purple LED's under my BATs and they look OK but a little hard to see. I was thinking of trying some supper brights under there.

Did you completely replace your flipper components or just the flipper bats? I like the bone ones, I may get a set of them to replace mine, the left one has some small cracks in it anyways.

Keep the updates and pics coming.

#47 6 years ago

I upgrade all my personal Williams/Bally pins to the newer WPC style flipper assemblies with the cantilever style spring and not the armature compression spring. I like the feel and I only have to keep 1 type of assembly in stock.

I just got 4 new style flipper baseplates to do my F-14 when I get some free time.

The older assemblies I pass down to yet older machines I am fixing.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from dbpbandit:

trying some supper brights under there

Try the pink supers.

1 week later
#49 6 years ago

Finally picked up an EATPM and can't wait to get started with it. Grabbed a few mods already - what do you think about blue/green color changing mind orbits shooter To match green flipper buttons and greed display? That or I wish someone made a skull shooter with red led eyes!

OP yours is lookin so sweet - what's next?

#50 6 years ago

Man I miss my old EATPM now!Looks great

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Milbank, SD
$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside