New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 82110)

UPDATE: Chrome and Nickle PLATING cost??

By meSz

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by WeirPinball
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3394.JPG
    IMG_3388.JPG
    100_0113.JPG
    014.JPG
    photo-34.JPG
    IMG_3107.JPG
    IMG_2861.JPG
    IMG_3193.JPG
    IMG_3180.JPG

#1 6 years ago

I have a machine I am restoring and am looking to get the coin mechanism re-nickle and then there are 4 steel rails that need to be re-chromed that are approximately 1" x 18" and one piece that is 1" x 6". The steel rails have some minor bends in them but nothing to dramatic. There is a little surface rust that needs to be cleaned off. With this said the place close to me quoted me $375 to do these pieces. I know little about plating so I figured I would ask here for input from anyone that does. Is this price too much for what I have? To me it seemed pricey but I have read that there is a lot to plating and that it's not cheap. Thanks for the input!!

#2 6 years ago

I heard Mike Chestnut does great work. http://horsepowerunlimited.net/

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from KoolFingers:

I heard Mike Chestnut does great work. http://horsepowerunlimited.net/

I hear the same. Since I only had 6 pieces that need to be done I figured I would try a local place.

#4 6 years ago

I've had some small em stuff chromed and it usually cost less than $60 to do locally. I'd try Chestnut if you can't get a better price.

#5 6 years ago

My opinion is that the price you were quoted is too expensive. Try another place. Pittsburgh has lots of car restoration shops, ask around. Try Mike Chestnut, as shipping your little stuff shouldn't be pricey.

#6 6 years ago

+1 on Mike Chestnut. Just got some pieces back from him last week. The stuff looks incredible.

#7 6 years ago

Chestnut is the bomb! He's worth it even if it costs a little more.

Pinball Jeff

#8 6 years ago

Reputation is worth $$$. As noted by PinballJeff above.

#9 6 years ago

Advice taken! I called Mike and spoke to him and was assured he would not be nearly as costly. I went and picked the pieces up and am shipping them out to Mike. Thanks for the input guys!

#10 6 years ago

Mike was a little backed up last month because of the bad weather, but he seems caught up now. I have had things back in a week, although it could take longer, he is pretty quick turning things around.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from BadBrad97:

Mike was a little backed up last month because of the bad weather, but he seems caught up now. I have had things back in a week, although it could take longer, he is pretty quick turning things around.

Yeah I called him and he said "maybe 2 weeks". That is not an issue at all. Just kills me that the other place was more than double than what Mike feels it will cost for him to do it!

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Yeah I called him and he said "maybe 2 weeks". That is not an issue at all. Just kills me that the other place was more than double than what Mike feels it will cost for him to do it!

I have a feeling your local place was telling you they didn't really want to hassle with your parts. Hence the price they quoted.

I've dealt with Mike for so long, I don't even ask for a price. I just send him the parts and he sends them back with a bill. I've never had an issue with anything he's done for me.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I have a feeling your local place was telling you they didn't really want to hassle with your parts. Hence the price they quoted.

Bryan, Mike stated the same thing but when I went there the guy have the whole front of the office with shelves and on those shelves were all of what he has finished for other customers. About 40% of the stuff he had on the shelves, there was a lot, were less than 3 pieces that customers had him plate. So I thought that this guy must be reasonable as others are bringing small jobs to him.

None the less I went back to his place today and got my stuff back and have already packaged the pieces up and shipped off to Mike!

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I've dealt with Mike for so long, I don't even ask for a price. I just send him the parts and he sends them back with a bill. I've never had an issue with anything he's done for me.

Who else will do the work and ship you all your stuff back before he gets paid? And be patient and trusting enough to allow you to send him a check?

#15 6 years ago

I had Mike do my IJ wireforms. They came back looking incredible!

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from BadBrad97:

Who else will do the work and ship you all your stuff back before he gets paid? And be patient and trusting enough to allow you to send him a check?

I agree. Mike reminds me of Steve Young at PBR. I think if you ever bounced a check with either one of them, they'd never deal with you again. And you don't want that!!

#17 6 years ago

Just received the chrome trim from Mike a few weeks ago for our Tron LE and his work is amazing!

IMG_3180.JPG

IMG_3193.JPG
    #18 6 years ago

Humm. I had an entire computer case nickel plated locally in Portland, OR for about 60bucks.
    http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?p=3070663#p3070663
    Haven't tired since moving to Austin,TX.

3 weeks later
    #19 6 years ago

So I sent my stuff off to Mike for plating. Received it back 2 weeks later and very happy with the results and most of all he was less than half the price the original place I went too! Pictures of before and after of the coin mech he did!

IMG_2861.JPG IMG_3107.JPG
    #21 6 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Humm. I had an entire computer case nickel plated locally in Portland, OR for about 60bucks.
    http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?p=3070663#p3070663
    Haven't tired since moving to Austin,TX.

Nice Ars reg date.

On topic: Chrome looks sweet. Mike does really nice work, I love my Shadow shooter he did.

#22 6 years ago

photo-34.JPG
    Mike does great work

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

Mike does great work

photo-34.JPG 33 KB

My goal is to have Mike do the plating on my TOM some day! That is a stunning looking machine with the plating!!!

#25 6 years ago

A few people PM'd me asking what I was charged by Mike to do my parts since I mentioned that he did the plating for less then half of what my local plating place wanted to charge me.

The only issue I have with posting what Mike charged me is that I am certain Mike has a method as to what he charges (i.e. shape, size, condition etc. of the parts). So if I post prices as to what he charged me for my coin mech and someone else sent in the same mech but in worse condition or vice versa they may get a different price.

I will say that the price difference between what my local plating place was charging me compared to Mike was a difference, yes difference, of $232.20

I think what happened here is exactly what Bryan Kelly stated "I have a feeling your local place was telling you they didn't really want to hassle with your parts. Hence the price they quoted".

#26 6 years ago

Mike is great and his prices are very reasonable. I believe he plates in batches to keep costs low, so turnaround time could depend on what others have sent in recently. He also clearcoats larger pieces like gun handles - not sure if others do this.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

A few people PM'd me asking what I was charged by Mike to do my parts since I mentioned that he did the plating for less then half of what my local plating place wanted to charge me.
    The only issue I have with posting what Mike charged me is that I am certain Mike has a method as to what he charges (i.e. shape, size, condition etc. of the parts). So if I post prices as to what he charged me for my coin mech and someone else sent in the same mech but in worse condition or vice versa they may get a different price.
    I will say that the price difference between what my local plating place was charging me compared to Mike was a difference, yes difference, of $232.20
    I think what happened here is exactly what Bryan Kelly stated "I have a feeling your local place was telling you they didn't really want to hassle with your parts. Hence the price they quoted".

Where did you go so that I do not go there...

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

I think his point was ... Mike = good vs Local Unnamed Plater = bad

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

I think his point was ... Mike = good vs Local Unnamed Plater = bad

Exactly! I mean I can see going to different places and the quotes fluctuating 10-20% but 250% and no Vaseline?!?!?

Quoted from Syco54645:

I don't like to blast a business in a public forum as everyone's experience differs. What gets me is I was referred to this place by a pinball collector. I don't know if he knows the guy personally and gets good deals from him but I am still surprised at the difference in price!

#30 6 years ago

// Error: Image 206572 not found //

100_0113.JPG

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

Mike does great work

Need to do coin door . That looks amazing.

#32 6 years ago

black nickel shooters rock - already did the shadow, IJ, STTNG, and he is working on T2

014.JPG
    #33 6 years ago

Looks like a couple of you got gold plating. Would it work on wireforms? Is it durable?

#34 6 years ago

Yes, Mike will replate the wireforms in brass. I had my wireforms done in brass and the shooter in black nickel.

#35 6 years ago

brass wireforms done by Michael

IMG_3388.JPG IMG_3394.JPG
    Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 29.00
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 45.00
    $ 219.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 20.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 120.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 235.00
    Boards
    RS Technologies
    £ 55.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 30.00
    Various Novelties
    Game Room Info Shop
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    ULEKstore
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    Judge Dredd Translite Out of stock
    Pinball Haus
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Other
    PinBoss Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside