New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 178764)

Chrome and fingerprints?

By Mbecker

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Mbecker
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpeg

#1 3 years ago

Just curious -- I'm thinking about doing some chrome (lockdown, rails, hinges, possibly legs, hopefully can stop myself from doing much more than that) on a restore and wondering about fingerprints/damage over time. I thought I read somewhere that when you chrom you have to wipe off the lockdown all the time? Is this true - and if so is it because fingerprints are just really obvious or do finger oils do damage over time to chrome?

Also, are true chromed legs that much different looking and the standard new set of "chrome" legs from say Marco?

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Just curious -- I'm thinking about doing some chrome (lockdown, rails, hinges, possibly legs, hopefully can stop myself from doing much more than that) on a restore and wondering about fingerprints/damage over time. I thought I read somewhere that when you chrom you have to wipe off the lockdown all the time? Is this true - and if so is it because fingerprints are just really obvious or do finger oils do damage over time to chrome?
    Also, are true chromed legs that much different looking and the standard new set of "chrome" legs from say Marco?

It's all about your taste in your pins. Ask yourself this, does the chrome enhance my pinball experience? If it does then you should weigh the cost against the benefit. Chrome looks great but if you don't like the fact that it easily picks up fingerprints then I wouldn't suggest investing the money. I never experienced a case where my chrome parts couldn't be wiped clean of fingerprints. Someone that enjoys the look of chrome should always want to keep it clean anyway. If you don't want the hassle of keeping them clean then maybe unpolished chrome or powder coating would be a viable alternative. It is definitely cheaper and you probably need to wipe it down less frequently.

#3 3 years ago

I had a chromed out Tron which was super nice but I did have to wipe it down regularly. Not that big of a deal but if prints bother you it could be an issue.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

are true chromed legs that much different looking and the standard new set of "chrome" legs from say Marco

100% yes, there is a big difference.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

if you are chroming it, its not a restoration unless it was already chrome, at best it's a resto-mod. Yes, it looks good... until you touch it. Don't do it if you actually like ot play your games, do it if you just like to look at 250 boxes of lights.

#6 3 years ago

I would recommend having the stainless steel buffed out to a mirror shine for lock down and side rails. Less finger prints show.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from HOOKED:

I would recommend having the stainless steel buffed out to a mirror shine for lock down and side rails. Less finger prints show.

This is also reversible if you decide you don't like it.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from volcanodiver:

This is also reversible if you decide you don't like it.

I pay roughly $20 per foot to do this at a motorcycle shop just to give you an idea.

#9 3 years ago

Yes, Chrome is a bit higher maintenance; but in my opinion, it looks beautiful on some titles- just picked this up...

image (resized).jpeg

#10 3 years ago

Standard mass produced factory legs are fairly basic in quality and I believe are nickel plated rather than chromed.

You can go one step up and have them genuine chrome plated for a much better end result.

Or you can take it one step further again and have them chrome plated and polished to a mirror finish so you can see a reflection in the leg itself.

It all depends on how much you want to outlay.

As for fingerprints a quick wipe over the ends of the lockdown bar with a soft cloth at the completion of a playing session when guests come over is well worth the price of the bling factor when they see the chrome work on a lineup.

I have had lockdown bars/siderails/doors etc high end chromed with a heavy layer of mirror plished chrome (as opposed to micron thin flash plating) for 5 plus years and they still look as good as new in a home use environment.

#11 3 years ago

Thanks for the input everyone! Sounds like they show more but there's no damaging qualities in skin oils to the chrome over time.

volcanodiver interesting point - however I think it's pretty common for restores of pins,cars, whatever to go a bit or a lot above and beyond factory/stock and still be called restorations. It's being restored to its original or better condition. If it only went to factory condition than it's a stock restore. All semantics though really, similar to the whole "fully shipped pin" meaning -- Fair?

I love the look of chrome and this is a good opportunity to try it. Not something I'd do for every game but I thought it'd be fun to try.. I don't mind wiping some finger prints.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 47.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    € 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 38.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 68.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 12.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Ramp-O-Matic
    $ 39.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 20.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 7,599.00
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.99
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 159.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Pimp
    $ 57.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 3.50
    Various Other Swag
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 249.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 269.00
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside