1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 73 days ago by Bwilson
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 3 months ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

I think Whirlwind might be his greatest work.

Whirlwind’s “Ball 2” locked music, and the jackpot/millions plus tune are incredible themes. As much as I like the sound of the Yamaha sound chip, I’d like to hear someone take a crack at remastering/reorchestrating Whirlwinds soundtrack with proper instruments.

#52 3 months ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

I am holding onto 2 games now where I really don't like the rules but LOVE the sound.

Which two?? Do tell!

#53 3 months ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Which two?? Do tell!

TZ and TAF

My TAF isn't a great example - but it plays well but its so safe.

For me there is no incentive to play any modes at all. Just start a mode, hit ramp start another. Tour Mansion, do it again
TZ is very mint and plays very hard - But its still mainly just left ramp/right ramp. Gameplay would be so much better if modes where worth a lot more!

#54 3 months ago

TZ has some great sounds! I just sold mine and hope to get another some day. Getting a jackpot on it is sound and sight overload!

#55 3 months ago
Quoted from Granzo:

You cats are SO awesome! Thank you so much for the kind words, can't even begin to say how much it means to hear stuff like this about music that has been forgotten by many.
No actual promises, but you may have inspired me to clean up & modernize that archive -- gotta get in & edit the links so they just link to the mp3s like normal modern music archives.
One guy above referenced the DCS version of TZ. As Pinwizkid mentioned, it was cool to dig that DAT out of mothballs and get some music out there that was otherwise completely lost, so there's that. But I have to say my feelings about TZ in general, and especially that soundtrack, have really evolved. As you all astutely point out, DCS was hardly a one-way-street to "mo' better" sound -- not having that ability to manipulate the pitch and tempo of a melody was a huge setback, one I still struggle with to this day in games now that ALL sound is basically pre-recorded and played back through a multi-channel digital mixer: Yes, you CAN'T do what we did with Whitewater without a huge footprint of audio which we obviously didn't have in 1993, or even in 2003. But more importantly, you can't do those manipulations INTERACTIVELY, IN REAL TIME. IMO the best example of that stuff is in Taxi: listen to the "musical car horns" as you make loop and return lane shots. Always transposed to the chord the tune is currently in...EVEN IN THE MIDDLE OF THE HORN LICK. I just think that's so sexy. (Yes I am the geekiest guy you ever met, I admit it...)
Anyway, TZ: we had kind of drifted away from doing that crazy interactive stuff by then, there's some but not much. What the WPC version of TZ has, is MORE MUSIC AND SOUND than any other previous game. And, it's all done by a team (Rich Karstens and myself, directed by Pat, Larry & Ted) at the very pinnacle of our skills...from the last .01dB of clarity we managed to squeeze out of the CVSD speech system, to the giant wad of EPROM they gave us when they bailed on DCS, allowing us to digitize lots of little foley sound effects with the drum machine in glorious EIGHT-BIT PCM (woo hoo!), to pretty much the peak of all the hundreds of little tricks we had all evolved over 7 years of making Yamaha sounds: I've basically come to the conclusion that TZ is the best pre-DCS soundtrack in pinball. (My FAVORITE overall soundtrack is still Fish Tales, and my favorite single tune is still the Taxi main tune.) Side note: I don't care for the Pinsound version of TZ much. Not 'cause of the music...but the last version I heard, they still hadn't implemented proper interactive mixing, and things aren't nearly as well-balanced as the WPC version. Would be happy to hear this has improved in the last year or so...
To me, the game that made all that stuff possible, and the game that brought us squarely into the modern, story-telling, theme-immersing era of pinball...was PinBot. Yes, it was an awesome theme, yes it had the best of both Yamaha and previously Sys11 sounds...the revolutionary thing about PinBot was, "I ... SEE ... YOU." THAT was THE IDEA for the game: you (the player) bring a MACHINE to LIFE. And you know what? THAT'S WHAT PINBALL IS, HAS BECOME. And we pretty much owe that to Python. (It's also a REALLY cool soundtrack -- a first in several areas, and the theme fit the technology better than pretty much any other theme, ever.)
OK gotta go to work. Thanks again, everyone, SO VERY MUCH! Keep playing, and keep writing! (thanks to Greg and Brendan for tipping me off to the thread!)
Best,
-cg

Chris your awesome man see you in 2019!

#56 3 months ago

Not sure how I missed this thread when it was originally posted but Chris deserves the props given here. I love his work in pinball and White Water is by far my favorite soundtrack. Back when JJP first announced WoZ, the day Jack posted that Chris was doing the music and sound was the day I sent in my deposit. Chris - thanks for your contributions! We all know it's a team effort, but sound is so, so important.

#57 3 months ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Chris your awesome man see you in 2019!

Does this mean Chris is doing a presentation at next years Pintastic? That would be great!

#58 3 months ago
Quoted from Shredso:

Does this mean Chris is doing a presentation at next years Pintastic? That would be great!

I can't confirm or deny that statement.

1 week later
#60 86 days ago

Ha! was just about to post this here.

How good was Chris! Absolute legend.

#61 85 days ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Ha! was just about to post this here.
How good was Chris! Absolute legend.

I can’t thank you two enough for connecting with the master of sound and agreeing to time on the podcast!

Great mix of questions and insights while balancing time for stories behind certain titles. (T2 was great!)

What a humble guy. It was great to hear his passion around his individual creations and the deep respect he has for his colleagues. (Python, Richie etc.)

One of the best pinball related interviews I’ve heard in some time.

1 week later
#62 73 days ago

On Whirlwind....one of the toughest shots, and maybe the toughest 3-shot combo in all of pinball, is:

> left orbit through the yellow pops
> third flipper inner orbit around the red pops
> third flipper up the jackpot ramp

Only worth 250k points. So why shoot for that shot?

The ONLY real reason to go for that shot is to hear Chris Granner’s siren sound go off! Thats how great his work is....his sounds are worth more than points!!!

#63 73 days ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

On Whirlwind....one of the toughest shots, and maybe the toughest 3-shot combo in all of pinball, is:
> left orbit through the yellow pops
> third flipper inner orbit around the red pops
> third flipper up the jackpot ramp
Only worth 250k points. So why shoot for that shot?
The ONLY real reason to go for that shot is to hear Chris Granner’s siren sound go off! Thats how great his work is....his sounds are worth more than points!!!

Funny you mention this. The one or two times I've done this in the 8 years I've had a WW.. I was like WTF was that sound! Never heard that. Pretty cool how they worked that into a game of this era.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Duluth, MN
$ 75.00
Playfield - Other
Great American Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Whitewater pinball mods
€ 4.99
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stockton, CA
$ 219.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside