(Topic ID: 235420)

Choosing my first pin

By procks

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FatPanda.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago
    Quoted from procks:

I'm new and trying to figure out which pin I should get first. I don't have time for repair and restoration right now so I should get something from the factory which narrows the choices a lot. I have very little pinball experience and I want something that is easy to walk up and play without studying the rules. The only licensed theme I've seen that I like is Star Wars and maybe The Beatles but I'm not sure those are right for my first pin.
    I'm thinking Total Nuclear Annihilation or one of the remakes and from what I've read Medieval Madness is not as great as the other two. How do Attack From Mars and Monster Bash compare?
    BTW will I be able to turn the volume down on all of these?

I think a good first option would be to go out to locations and play all the games, several times. Then you can really decide what you'd like to bring home, whether it's a certain style or era of game. If you are handy in any way, you'll be able to learn all the repair things, and despite what some people say about Pinside, it is a fantastic resource for tech stuff. I would not shy away from old titles. Not only is the cost of entry cheaper, but I would argue the repairability is much better. Even new machines will have stuff break; the hardware on the newest Sterns (node boards) are unrepairable, for now, and can blow without any notice. At least with the old stuff, there is repair potential with board sets.

Don't be afraid to take off the glass, no matter your choice. Look underneath and understand the mechanisms.

Each game has a volume knob or switch somewhere on every game, other than older with chimes.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FatPanda.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/choosing-my-first-pin?tu=FatPanda and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.