• 44 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Collin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hey there guys!

Just looking for an opinion on which machine to buy out of a White Water, a Johnny Mnemonic and a Judge Dredd.

Prices (these are Australian):

White Water - $3000
Johnny Mnemonic - $2800
Judge Dredd - $2800

On top of each of these, I will have to pay around $500 for freight as they are from interstate. I know, a little painful, but these machines are priced fairly for Aus.
The Johnny Mnemonic and Judge Dredd machines are in good nick apart from a few small cosmetic issues.

The White Water on the other hand has a bit of wear and tear and possibly one or two switch issues. The pin has been on location and will most likely be a little dirty, though nothing I can't handle. My biggest issue is that it's missing the topper. The topper is pretty wicked on a White Water but I can't see myself forking out ~$300 for a piece of artwork inside a plastic case.

Just wondering what you guys reckon? I am leaning towards the White Water as it's a fun, rarer, great-playing game. But let me know what you think!

Cheers, Tom

#2 9 years ago

It's all your preference. JM is more my taste but that doesn't say much. You'll find out that you shouldn't spend $ on a pin just because others say it's fun. Believe me,I know.

#3 9 years ago

Pass on that Wh20.no topper,no way.probably needs alot of other stuff too.

I'd go for JD over JM

#4 9 years ago

None if you can't inspect and play them first but that's just me.
$500 is a fair chunk for shipping too, surely there is a better deal out there than that. What states are you shipping between?
Always wanted to give JM a whirl, looks like a cool game.

#5 9 years ago

probably JD for me..

#6 9 years ago

In equal condition, WH20 is the clear winner.

But if the condition of the WH20 is suspect, you can't do better than JD. JM is a great, fast game - but it doesn't hold a candle to JD.

#7 9 years ago

Wh20 is easily the best game of those 3 all things being equal. But that one sounds like trouble.....

The JD sounds like good value and it's a good game. Does it have the topper?

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

But if the condition of the WH20 is suspect, you can't do better than JD. JM is a great, fast game - but it doesn't hold a candle to JD.

Ha we were typing almost the exact same post at the same time....you beat me to it

#9 9 years ago

For me it would be between JM and WW. Both of those games have more depth than JD. JM also has some really fun flow, the ramps feel really good to combo. JD, while a cool game at first, gets boring fast in my opinion. The wide shot variety aside, there's just not enough to the game. Not worth the money especially if you can get a working WW for basically the same price.

#10 9 years ago

Cheers for the opinions guys!

I'm actually surprised there isn't as much support for the WH20. I can't really decide just yet as I'm waiting on some photos for the WH20. I have some, but waiting for cabinet pics so I can get an idea of how faded it is.

Judge Dredd was on the top of my list before I enquired, though I didn't expect to have a WH20 and a JM offered to me as well as I thought they were fairly rare in Australia. Yeah, I'm going to wait for those photos.

The WH20 and JD freight would be from Wollongong to Adelaide. The JM would be from Brisbane to Adelaide. If any Aussies here have any clue about freight, the best price, the best quality, please let me know!

Cheers, Tom

#11 9 years ago

WW is my preference but as the condition is less I would pick JM then..

#12 9 years ago

Wh20's are not so easy to restore.....and ramps and topper really expensive. That's a good price though. If you don't mind a bit of a challenge, may be worth a shot. Or get both the wh20 and the JD. U can play the JD while fixing up the wh20.

Are you on the Aussie Arcade forum? Look up Prowler - he does a great delivery service that recently takes in Adelaide, but not sure about Wollongong. Usually Brisbane, Sydney, Adelaide Melbourne. For 2 he may go to Wollongong.

#13 9 years ago

I'd love two machines! Can't afford it though, sadly. They all seem like fairly decent games, and I won't be surprised if I do end up owning each at some stage once school's over and the money starts rolling in!

I am an AA member.
Had a chat with prowler and apparently he's all full this month anyway. He seems like a really nice guy, doing everyone big favours!

#14 9 years ago

I would take the wh2o. For the long hall it's going to fun for a lot longer then the others..@

#15 9 years ago

check with hunter express.. it will be to a depot in adelaide tho. so youll need to pick it up. saves a bunch of money, rather than shipping directly to residential address.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

check with hunter express.. it will be to a depot in adelaide tho. so youll need to pick it up. saves a bunch of money, rather than shipping directly to residential address.

+1
Depot to depot is the best option if you can use it.
I have used E-go a few times depot to depot with no problems from Melb to Bris, cost around $250 each time I think from memory.
Or the prowler option is very good and he will deliver to your door.
If you don't go with JM would you mind passing on the seller details, I'm in Brisbane and could be interested in it.

#17 9 years ago

Depot to depot sounds like the go!

Sent you a PM over on AA Wamprat!

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Bubbatom:

Depot to depot sounds like the go!
Sent you a PM over on AA Wamprat!

Send one to me here on Pinside please mate, I'm banned on AA for bad behaviour.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

+1
Depot to depot is the best option if you can use it.
I have used E-go a few times depot to depot with no problems from Melb to Bris, cost around $250 each time I think from memory.
Or the prowler option is very good and he will deliver to your door.
If you don't go with JM would you mind passing on the seller details, I'm in Brisbane and could be interested in it.

yep, hunter express was $220 from bris to melb. so its not too bad..

#20 9 years ago

Get the WH20. Parts are available and the new topper repro should eventually get done. If the playfield is hosed then pick the Judge Dredd.

#21 9 years ago

Wh20, although I thought this thread was about Whirlwind, in which case I would've picked Whirlwind.

#22 9 years ago

Wh2o is a better deal for the money. If the pf art is not worn the plastics and ramps can be replaced. If it is trashed then you're better off with JM, I've owned both JD and JM are great for the money but JD's widebody game is not as smooth and fun as JM.

#23 9 years ago

Wh20 man! Great pin. Total WPC classic!

Parts are all over, albeit can cost you if you have to replace ramps. Love the ruleset too. Oh and the topper parts are out there. The white backer, the decal, and the dome.

Next I'd grab JM. Difficult pin with a somewhat lousy theme. Hand can be an issue, but is fixable and there are parts and scads of info on diagnosing the little bastard.

Lastly I'd go with the JD. Im not a huge fan of widebodies. This one has a ton of stuff on it to shoot at.

(get the wh20)

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

What he said

Long term Wh2o has more legs. The game is a blast with great flow and great rules. This game is a keeper. I sold mine and regretted it. Bought another and it's never leaving. The other two suffer heavily in the rules area.

I LOVE JM. I love the flow, the modes, everything, but I hate the terrible rules. The only way to get a decent score is to get that spinner lite up and hit it over and over. Literally that is the only way. You can work through the modes, even start the wizard mode and you still won't get a great score. Such a shame as it's otherwise a great game. Just adjusting the scoring would make it amazing. Really hoping someone visits the rules on this one and improves it.

JD suffers the same fate. Great lay out that is really under utilized. You can push through the modes, but the best way to get a great score is to start MB, get the judges and start the wizard mode -- this is off the top of my head. I've owned JD two times. Always love it for a couple of weeks and then despair at the weak rules. The art and layout are top notch. Very creative, just needs good rules to make it awesome.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

Wh20, although I thought this thread was about Whirlwind, in which case I would've picked Whirlwind.

LOL! That's what I thought as well. I would also have recommended Whirlwind

#26 9 years ago

-WH20 is the best game of those 3. For me easily a top 10 game, maybe even top 5.
-JM is one of the best values in pinball. Super fast, and lots of fun.
-JD would be 3rd. Good game for the money. Lots to do with some great animations.

#27 9 years ago

-I've never played JD but from what i hear its great fun
-WH2O is a Great game and is a freakin classic of 90's DMD's but it has the issues
-JM is a great game and my first DMD but if your really a stickler for themes than it might not be for you but I loved the cheesiness.

but thats a good price on the WH2O if you can handle the issues(The topper missing is a bummer though)

just follow your gut and don't worry what us pinsiders say

#28 9 years ago

http://ns8313.hostgator.com/~gameshop/product/white-water-topper-decal/

http://ns8313.hostgator.com/~gameshop/product/white-water-topper-03-8745/

http://ns8313.hostgator.com/~gameshop/product/fish-tales-and-white-water-clear-dome-03-8653/

Topper parts above. Dome, bracket, and decal.

Why is everyone sweating the wh20 topper? All parts available.

EDIT: this decal above does NOT give the water fall effect. FYI

#29 9 years ago

Does the water animation effect actually work with this one?

#30 9 years ago

Good question Pimp77.

I'd email little shop of games and ask. You'd think it would, right? What's the point of it NOT giving the effect.

Maybe it doesn't, and that's why everyone is saying the topper is impossible to find...

EDIT: I emailed Little shop of Games: the wh20 decal doesn't mimic the original effect.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Good question Pimp77.
I'd email little shop of games and ask. You'd think it would, right? What's the point of it NOT giving the effect.
Maybe it doesn't, and that's why everyone is saying the topper is impossible to find...
EDIT: I emailed Little shop of Games: the wh20 decal doesn't mimic the original effect.

Yeah, that's the issue. I wonder why nobody can copy technology from 1992ish in 2015? Crazy.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from Bubbatom:

Judge Dredd - $2800

For that price you should get two.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

For that price you should get two.

He should buy 2 games for $2800 or the price should be 2 for $2800?

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

He should buy 2 games for $2800 or the price should be 2 for $2800?

If you have to ask...O-din is currently the Pinside champ for the ol'1400 bucks JD joke. Search it.

#35 9 years ago

Never played JM, but White Water and JD are great games. Hard decision.

#36 9 years ago

what do you like best? That is the real question. Condition of the Wh20 is somewhat of a moot point as you are in AU and having it shipped for $500 anyway, you are in for the long haul regardless and it isn't going anywhere I'd imagine, and with that kind of voyage across the sea I'd imagine no pin would show up without issues. All I know is that if I were paying $500 to have a game shipped, I'd get the one I wanted most.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

O-din is currently the Pinside champ for the ol'1400 bucks JD joke.

Use it or lose it has always been my motto.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

with that kind of voyage across the sea I'd imagine no pin would show up without issues.

Don't worry! It's not coming from over seas, just interstate. Still costs a fortune, I know. I think I'm onto one freight company offering around $300 which isn't so bad.

I've narrowed my options down to WH20 and JD.

While I'm here, why the hell is White Water abbreviated to WH20? I understand that Whirlwind has the WW abbreviation, but why add the 20 to WH20?

Cheers, Tom

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from Bubbatom:

why add the 20 to WH20?

White = W
Water = H20

White Water = WH20
Cheers!

#40 9 years ago

Ah! Cheers pinballholder!
That makes sense now that you've pointed it out!

#41 9 years ago

the same seller, has WH20 and JD ?

#42 9 years ago

Nah, two different guys, same city.

I've actually passed on both now! I received some pics of the cabinet and the inside of the WW and decided it's just too much work, along with my last year of highschool.

I'm onto a local guy that reckons he can get me almost any machine I want (except for a Congo, lol), in exchange for my Black Rose. I'm considering a Roadshow!

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from Bubbatom:

I'm considering a roadshow!

i never did like that pin.... but each to their own.... its amassed some popularity around here tho.

#44 9 years ago

If you can get a Whitewater for your Black Rose, go for it! I like my Black Rose pretty well, but in the US, Whitewater is by far the most expensive game you've mentioned. I would say that or Dredd is the best one you've talked about.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Sugarloaf, CO
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

4,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 85.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 22.50
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/choosing-between-a-ww-a-jm-and-a-jd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.