Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 84 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by rosh
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

amy (resized).jpg
    Big Guns (resized).jpg
    A04E9F4E-9C3D-490B-918F-4FEF1B4C08CD (resized).jpeg
    D3FCAE99-47C0-462E-8AB0-4CD8B79F7B17 (resized).jpeg
    There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

He’s a pinball fanatic and is heading off to Union College in Schenectady NY. Im looking for something absolutely bulletproof, 2k and something he & his dorm buddies would appreciate. Game protection & security shouldn’t be an issue as he’s 6’3” 310lbs. He’ll be sharing housing with 24 other freshmen.

A04E9F4E-9C3D-490B-918F-4FEF1B4C08CD (resized).jpegA04E9F4E-9C3D-490B-918F-4FEF1B4C08CD (resized).jpegD3FCAE99-47C0-462E-8AB0-4CD8B79F7B17 (resized).jpegD3FCAE99-47C0-462E-8AB0-4CD8B79F7B17 (resized).jpeg

#2 5 years ago

NBAFB? Good luck, my nephew graduated from there last year.

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

NBAFB? Good luck, my nephew graduated from there last year.

Great pin! Fun for sports fans. Should be able to find one around $2500.

#4 5 years ago

$2k is a tight budget in this market for a working shopped game. What about

Joker Poker
    Meteor
    Bobby Orr*
    Harlem Globetrotters (sports)
    Mata Hari
    Firepower
    Blackout
    Many Gottlieb premier games
    Taxi
    Pinbot

*Sports themed and one was just posted in the Marketplace in the northeast

#5 5 years ago

I agree with NBAFB. Fish Tales, High Speed 2, Judge Dredd, World Poker Tour, Blackout.

Would be cool at some point 2 get a 2nd NBAFB and link them.....cool setting for that.

#6 5 years ago

I'd track down a Sharkey's Shootout ... should be able to get one for ~ $2K, it is simple to learn, great game for parties, eh, to take breaks from studying, and somewhat easy to sell should he get sick of it.

#7 5 years ago

Playboy.

#8 5 years ago

An offensive lineman might appreciate a widebody. Just kidding, I had to do it.

#9 5 years ago

Yep, that's a no brainer ... forget Sharkeys ... get the Playboy (I'm assuming the Stern one).

#10 5 years ago

NBAFB, WPT, and PB are all great suggestions IMO.

#12 5 years ago

Data east Monday night football maybe?

#13 5 years ago

Capcom Flipper Football. The ultimate pinball party game and up to 6 can play! Sells for under $2k too.

Otherwise I'd recommend a tornado foosball table. No maintenance worries and it's more fun for 4 players than pinball. When I was in college my roommates and I all chipped in for a table.

#14 5 years ago

Bobby Orr, Pinbot & Playby are amazing suggestions

#15 5 years ago

Looking up DE MNF right now

#16 5 years ago

I am currently a junior in college and have a Fireball home and Vacation America home model in my apartment... But if you can get a full size game thats awesome! Good for your son!

#17 5 years ago

Stern Playboy or Barb Wire.

#18 5 years ago

Eight Ball Deluxe LE

#19 5 years ago

Barb Wire is so cheesy it’s creeping to the top of the list

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from embryonjohn:

Barb Wire is so cheesy it’s creeping to the top of the list

Go to Pinfest as there will be lots of games to choose from and the prices are fair

#21 5 years ago

Cyclone would be a great bulletproof game.

#22 5 years ago

Be sure it has a good beer seal on it, whatever you get

#23 5 years ago

Buck up and get him a wcs94

#24 5 years ago

Is there room in the dorm for a game?

#25 5 years ago

@ 2k id say breakshot. Classic billiards theme. It’s got some girls on it... and it’s a good shooter.

#26 5 years ago

Pinball arcade......

#27 5 years ago

Honestly, I would go with any gottlieb system 3 game. They are built like tanks, and it would be able to take the physical abuse from a rowdy bunch of college students.

#28 5 years ago

why bother.
    he is moving out, he will discover girls are more fun than an old pinball

#29 5 years ago

Don't put it in a public place. I work at a university and have seen flipped over pool tables, ping pong tables destroyed, etc. If it's in a public place it will disappear or get trashed.

#30 5 years ago

NBAFB? He’ll be bored with that in like 30 minutes. $2 k is tight, but still some good games in that range. I’d recommend Pinbot or Firepower as a suggestion.

#31 5 years ago

Not the best game but I'm sure the boys will get a kick outta Bride of Pinbot. Balls in the mouth is always funny!

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

why bother.
    he is moving out, he will discover girls are more fun than an old pinball

I was going to say as well.
    Do you want him to get laid? No pinball.
    Between girls and studying no time.

#34 5 years ago

How about a Big Guns?

Big Guns (resized).jpgBig Guns (resized).jpg

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I was going to say as well.
    Do you want him to get laid? No pinball.
    Between girls and studying no time.

Having a pinball machine at their house would be pretty fuckin cool and unique. Would imagine that would help chances tbh certainly works well for me

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Honestly, I would go with any gottlieb system 3 game. They are built like tanks, and it would be able to take the physical abuse from a rowdy bunch of college students.

Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

Don't put it in a public place. I work at a university and have seen flipped over pool tables, ping pong tables destroyed, etc. If it's in a public place it will disappear or get trashed.

I have to agree that my first suggestion would be no pinball. I just think it would get torn up too easily with drinks and parties.

Are there any barcades nearby?? Give him a monthly pass. That would be my recommendation.

If you must go with a pinball, gottlieb system 3 or williams system 11 would be the best. All built well, many options under 2k, and a bunch of great games to choose from.

#37 5 years ago

They have this strange type of housing at Union College where groups of 20 or so kids live in multiple stand alone houses with 1 big kitchen, 3 baths, BBQ grills outside and a big living room. He wanted my 1069 Chicago Coin Apollo Moon Shot arcade rifle game but the school has a no guns policy. Playboy for a pinball “would be a no” says my son as it’s too “insulting to women”...
    If I had the cash I’d spring for a Revenge from Mars cause it’s risqué but not too much.

#38 5 years ago

Give him an EM, cant get them more bulletproof then that.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from embryonjohn:

Chicago Coin Apollo Moon Shot arcade rifle game but the school has a no guns policy. Playboy for a pinball “would be a no” says my son as it’s too “insulting to women”...

Man, are the kids going puritan nowadays? LOL

#40 5 years ago

Second world poker tour in your price range. Lots of drop targets, and you can find them for under $2k pretty easily. Whatever you do, spring for the alternate translite. The stock one is a horror show.

Really the only thing that goes wrong on it is the opto(s) for the jail lockup. Other than that, it's pretty bulletproof and has a really great ruleset (too bad Stern cheaped out on the toys in that era).

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Second world poker tour in your price range. Lots of drop targets, and you can find them for under $2k pretty easily.

I’ve never seen a wpt for less than $2500, and that one was a player quality cabinet. Almost everyone that I’ve seen has been $3000 or higher in nice condition

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

I’ve never seen a wpt for less than $2500, and that one was a player quality cabinet. Almost everyone that I’ve seen has been $3000 or higher in nice condition

I'm assuming they're not opposed to doing a basic shop job on it and replacing a few parts. They're out there if you're looking and willing to do a little work. I passed on a WPT at $1500 because I didn't have time for it, and that one was in okay shape.

The myth that there are no decent pins out there for less than $2500 is just that, a myth. I've SOLD a couple NASCARS for $1800 fully working within the last 18 months.

#43 5 years ago

Unsure of the pricing in the US, but I reckon the look and gameplay of Getaway and WCS will appeal to most young lads, car and sport themes will always be popular. The supercharger and gear shifter will be a big hit and even non pinheads will totally dig shooting goals on WCS, plus the advancing through the tournaments will ring true for any aspiring sportsman.

#44 5 years ago

A pin takes up quite a bit of space for dorm living. Double check that there’s a good space for a machine before you show up with one. Imagine if each kid wanted bring a pin, would there be room in the house?

I think it’s great that you want to give your son a pin while he’s away, but I don’t know if if it’s the right time/place in his life for that. Wait 5 years until he has his own place and graduated. Less concern for keeping the game safe.

#45 5 years ago

I’ve been to enough college parties, to not want anything of mine that’s valuable left in the house.

#46 5 years ago

He might be too busy with the ladies, booze and the books to care very much about pinball.

I wish him the best of luck on a successful 4 years.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from vwallat99:

Having a pinball machine at their house would be pretty fuckin cool and unique. Would imagine that would help chances tbh certainly works well for me

Look, we all know if you want to get some ass there is literally nothing in the world more effective than owning a pinball machine.

So really any old game will do, as the aphrodisiacal power of pinball is simply too strong.

I would seriously recommend a cheaper old game as many have suggested, one that’s been gone through. Any bally or something with new boards and connectors should do the trick. It’s gonna get beat up, have many beers spilled on it, and you will likely never see it again so that’s the way to go.

#48 5 years ago

Game time needs to be a factor.

You want him socializing and playing 4 player games, not sucked in to an epic quest.

Timeless classic Bally games are the key here.
    Anyone of them will do. Pick a theme that resonates with him, buy it now and rebuild everything with him during these last few months before he moves out (this is the important part for both you and future him), and then he will have the confidence and pride to keep it running while he is away and when it breaks down.

Bonus points... if this goes like I think it will in my head... then his senior year you can pull the game home and do a full restoration on the game and make it his graduation present in 4 year.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

I'm assuming they're not opposed to doing a basic shop job on it and replacing a few parts. They're out there if you're looking and willing to do a little work. I passed on a WPT at $1500 because I didn't have time for it, and that one was in okay shape.
    The myth that there are no decent pins out there for less than $2500 is just that, a myth. I've SOLD a couple NASCARS for $1800 fully working within the last 18 months.

Let me know if you see any <$2000 Nascar or WPT's, I'm actually looking for both titles, as I really enjoy both of them.

#50 5 years ago

Congo. It gets the ladies. Maybe he could find a nice girl named Amy.

amy (resized).jpgamy (resized).jpg
    There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/choose-a-pin-to-send-to-send-off-with-my-son-when-he-goes-to-college-?hl=frippertron and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.