New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 198905)

Chipped Corner on Playfield Glass - Repair?

By markp99

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by LTG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markp99.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Last night while removing the glass from my AFMr, I dinged the corner on a nearby stool, creating a slight chip with a sharp edge (1/4in diameter, on the corner, but not full glass thickness).

The new defect tucks under the lockdown bar and is fully out of view, but I am pretty certain I will slice my hand one of these days removing the glass for whatever reason.

Can this defect be repaired? I'm thinking maybe fire polishing the sharp edge with my butane plumbers torch. Any issue doing this on tempered playfield glass?

Suggestions?

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Out-West:

It should be tempered and if it is, could shatter at any moment. If it is not tempered then, it is a accident waiting to happen..

Pretty sure it's tempered - It's off a brand new AFMr from CGC.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Put a little tape on it and flip it around so it's hidden on top by backbox...or use more tape since if it's under the lockdown bar.
Hopefully there's a show around you where you can pick up a fresh sheet.

Tape is a good idea! I had thought to flip the defect to the top, less chance of grabbing the corner and slicing my hand.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Brypten:

I would get it the heck out of the game and replace it. It is a nightmare if it breaks in the game... Not worth the risk in my opinion

Huh, I did not consider risk of shattering in-game. Seems like it would have decimated itself already if the break was significant. I suppose in-play vibrations could exacerbate things.

I wonder if fire polishing would melt/heal the defect.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markp99.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside