(Topic ID: 198905)

Chipped Corner on Playfield Glass - Repair?

By markp99

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by LTG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Last night while removing the glass from my AFMr, I dinged the corner on a nearby stool, creating a slight chip with a sharp edge (1/4in diameter, on the corner, but not full glass thickness).

The new defect tucks under the lockdown bar and is fully out of view, but I am pretty certain I will slice my hand one of these days removing the glass for whatever reason.

Can this defect be repaired? I'm thinking maybe fire polishing the sharp edge with my butane plumbers torch. Any issue doing this on tempered playfield glass?

Suggestions?

#2 1 year ago

Unfortunately I have no experience with these sorts of repairs and I'd probably be more concerned about buggering it up more with a plumbers torch. If I were in your shoes, I'd use this as an opportunity to try out some of those fancy invisglass panels

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from markp99:

I dinged the corner on a nearby stool

I try to keep my stools away from my pinball games.

#4 1 year ago

It should be tempered and if it is, could shatter at any moment. If it is not tempered then, it is a accident waiting to happen..

#5 1 year ago

Put a little tape on it and flip it around so it's hidden on top by backbox...or use more tape since if it's under the lockdown bar.

Hopefully there's a show around you where you can pick up a fresh sheet.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Out-West:

It should be tempered and if it is, could shatter at any moment. If it is not tempered then, it is a accident waiting to happen..

Pretty sure it's tempered - It's off a brand new AFMr from CGC.

#7 1 year ago

It's certain(t)ly tempered

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Put a little tape on it and flip it around so it's hidden on top by backbox...or use more tape since if it's under the lockdown bar.
Hopefully there's a show around you where you can pick up a fresh sheet.

Tape is a good idea! I had thought to flip the defect to the top, less chance of grabbing the corner and slicing my hand.

#9 1 year ago

$40 for a new piece of glass on an $8000 machine seems like cheap piece of mind to me.

#10 1 year ago

I would get it the heck out of the game and replace it. It is a nightmare if it breaks in the game... Not worth the risk in my opinion

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Brypten:

I would get it the heck out of the game and replace it. It is a nightmare if it breaks in the game... Not worth the risk in my opinion

Huh, I did not consider risk of shattering in-game. Seems like it would have decimated itself already if the break was significant. I suppose in-play vibrations could exacerbate things.

I wonder if fire polishing would melt/heal the defect.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from mittens:

Unfortunately I have no experience with these sorts of repairs and I'd probably be more concerned about buggering it up more with a plumbers torch. If I were in your shoes, I'd use this as an opportunity to try out some of those fancy invisglass panels

I used all three optical non glare glasses on my games. Invisglass, PDI version & the Stern version. All of them are great and make your game even pop more. The glass is not cheap at about $240.00-$250.00 a piece, but then they want maybe $60.00 more for shipping. I have the Stern version on my AFMR. It looks crazy good.
I got them from Marco http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/502-6845-00 First I got one piece to try it out, also got a few other parts I needed. The shipping for all my parts was $9.99. Got all my stuff in great shape. I put the glass on my Sopranos game. Great glass with a great shipping cost. Two days later I wanted to buy more....damn out of stock....wait...wait...wait...Great in stock again. Bought four pieces this time, shipping for all four was $9.99. Thank You Marco Specialties. Sorry had to share

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from markp99:

Huh, I did not consider risk of shattering in-game. Seems like it would have decimated itself already if the break was significant. I suppose in-play vibrations could exacerbate things.

The game is now worthless. I'll be by in the morning to pick it up

#14 1 year ago

Quadrat - thank you for sharing. It is great to hear first hand from someone that has tried multiple types. I don't have any yet and have been a little unsure which is best. If all are decent and it comes down to price - that helps a ton.

I would really like to outfit my tron with this. Then probably my tng, lotr, st, sw , avatar

As I am in Canada though, shipping is probably ass and risk of damage.

Thx for your detailed post.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from markp99:

That would shatter it quicker.

That damaged glass is a disaster waiting to happen. I'd toss it.

LTG : )

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bay City, TX
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside