Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by glilly-BOA
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MacGruber.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider glilly-BOA.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I don't think you necessarily need U1

If you're using an original Bally AS-2518-35 MPU board configured for KISS, you do need U1. Are you replacing a bad one? or Did your board not have a U1 chip installed. I think what gweempose is suggesting is that on the newer boards, you can have your PROMS updated to 2732 EPROM chips which hold twice as much as the original 2716 chips so you don't need U1.

So, if your board had a U1 and you need to replace it, you DO need it for your board to work.
    But, if your board didn't have one and you just noticed that U1 is empty, see if the other chips are 2732 EPROMS. If so, you don't need U1.

If you need it, you can download the ROM image from IPDB here http://www.ipdb.org/files/1386/Bally_1979_Kiss_ROMs.zip

Do you have a way to burn a 2716 EPROM? If not, I can send you one for the cost of shipping.

Wow... that was confusing after re-reading it. Good luck.
    G

#7 12 years ago
    Quoted from brz:

The numbers I see stamped on the chip starting at the top are 9316A-2435.Next line is E-746-11 U1

Those are the original Bally markings for the PROM's. That's easily replaced with an EPROM. You should probably ask BD if he can send you an EPROM as I think he's closer to you. Probably work out with him shipping and / or whatever he needs. BD will work with you (I know, he did with me. Great guy ).

You will have to make a few jumper changes on your board to have it work with an EPROM rather than the original PROM. The pin assignments are slightly different in the addressing for the EPROM's. It's not a big deal though. This is where we used to say "just go to pinrepair.com and follow his jumper setting instructions...". I'm not sure the best location to get the information now.
    Strike that last, go to Twobits.com (http://www.twobits.com/ballympujumpers.html) for the jumper setting information.

G

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from brz:

I broke the legs off and old chip and soldered them on my Kiss chip

I did the same thing on a couple of old machines when I didn't have the replacement chips I needed a long time ago. I actually soldered resistors to the broken legs and then trimmed the resistors. Guess I'm not the only McGuiver out there

G

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I was thinking more along the lines of MacGruber!

Oh no!! the secret's out

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider glilly-BOA.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chip?tu=glilly-BOA and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.