Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 293 posts
  • 107 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Chrisbee
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

made-in-china.jpg
    Made_in_china.jpg
    Shinola Clock.png
    GL010.jpg
    Un-Fortunate cookie.JPG
    enjoy.jpg
    redneck-1.jpg
    60x60.jpg
    image.jpg
    Wong wear mask.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thefamilyarcade.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#246 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I did not commit any fraud, and took the guitar home with me.
    I did not really want to sell it, I just wanted the experts to show me how to detect these perfect replicas.
    I still have it. I can take it to a gig or leave it lying on the bed without worrying about having a $40,000 guitar stolen or damaged.

Aren't vintage guitars all about the wood? The age of the wood directly contributing to the sound (and feel) aesthetics of the instrument? Is perfectly dried, aged wood that easy to fake? Sounds like a GREAT thing for musicians. Anyone paying $40k for a nice laquer job and old fashioned volume pots probably deserves to get ripped off. That said, I am not a participant in the vintage guitar collector market. I have, however, played some (at least I think they were) genuine vintage fenders (Sadowski guitar shop in NYC) and I'd like to think I could tell the difference.

#252 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Probably more so with acoustic instruments, like where a pinetop has a totally different sound than an Ash top. Electric instruments of course have different woods with different tones, but the differences are much smaller.

The wood itself is not fake, just the finishes are aged.
    Wood is already 100s of years old, and luthiers have been carefully drying wood for 1000 years - an art in itself no doubt.

I heard a story that the main reason Leo Fender sold out to CBS was that his stash of perfectly aged wood had run out. So once he didn't have the super choice wood to make his instruments anymore - the wood that made them play and sound the way they did - he was done. Makes sense to me. Just because the "right" wood is aged doesn't make it special. Fender had really special wood, which is what made his instruments what they were. I like to believe that anyway. Nothing special at all about most instruments these days, IMO. At least the mainstream ones.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thefamilyarcade.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chinese-knock-offs-could-derail-pinball-comeback?tu=thefamilyarcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.