Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 293 posts
  • 107 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Chrisbee
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

made-in-china.jpg
    Made_in_china.jpg
    Shinola Clock.png
    GL010.jpg
    Un-Fortunate cookie.JPG
    enjoy.jpg
    redneck-1.jpg
    60x60.jpg
    image.jpg
    Wong wear mask.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#207 9 years ago
    Quoted from ZenTron:

iPhone was designed and engineered by Apple in the USA which is #5 in Fortune 500. The parts are all sourced and supervised by Apple. All thats being done in China is putting the things together aka the manufacturing in buildings which have suicide nets wrapped around them.

Companies like Foxconn are not just assemblers. Be it Eastern Europe or Asia, these companies exist to not just assemble stuff, but help companies industrialize their products, make it producible, drive costs down through sourcing and optimize their designs. They are full end to end shops from design, sourcing, building, packing, warehousing, and logistics.

While you can simply contract out 'factory work' - that is not the limit of what these major companies do.. and nearly all companies rely on their production partner to help optimize their products for manufacturing.

Apple may come up with an idea - but its the Foxconns of the world that work to make it a reality that can be built by the millions.

#208 9 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

It depends on what percentage of the production costs of a pinball is in the human assembly time.
    My understanding that it is really only human wages that are cheaper in China. That and local supply chain efficiencies, which isn't much of a factor for extremely low volumes that pinballs are produced in.

The assembly costs charged by these factories is tiny. But virtually everything is cheaper there because from the ground up things are cheaper. Space, labor, energy, shipping, etc. All your component costs would go down, all your subassemblies, all your labor, all your overhead, etc. Add into that the network of manufacturing they have there... so your ramps are cheaper, your wood, your displays, your plastics, etc etc

#209 9 years ago
    Quoted from someoneelse:

I only drive German cars.
    And...I only wear underwear made in Germany (and their suppliers are German, too!).
    In general i never touch any clothes made in Asia.

You also don't live in a country of 'free trade'. Tariffs, controls, taxes, etc all to protect domestic industries from having to compete with imports. Artificial limits that prop up domestic industries and labor laws that works as long as you can rely on other countries to supply what you can't do economically yourself under your ideals.

#211 9 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

It is just not labor costs
    It is also automation
    Homepin has a machine that will assemble all his circuit boards
    This machine can churn out motherboards at one per minute, and it is only running half pace

Uhh... every assembly place has such systems. Stern isn't building their PCBs by hand... that kind of stuff is all farmed out to plants that do this work.

Even modest factories would have several of these lines.. you have an integrated line that goes straight through picking, placing, and soldering all in an automated system. You then go and place components manually that could not be auto-placed.

#219 9 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

That was my point, Homepin is not farming this stuff out. Most of the work is being done inhouse

To which someone would say... WHY? Creating PCBs is not their core competency and replicating all that manufacturing, skillset, and QA is just wasteful unless he plans on being a electronics assembly company that just happens to do pinballs on the side.

#222 9 years ago

For the same reason a CEO hires a secretary... its not an effective use of his time, space, and budget to sink that kind of money into something so easily put off to someone who can do a flawless job. It's not a place you differentiate yourself with - it's pure commodity work.

Yea! I have a Pick n Place... I can do a board a minute... ok, 2 hours later I'm done.. and now I have this big piece of electronics taking up space and capital that I have no further use for for a long time..

Maybe he will buy his own delivery trucks too.. and generate electricity on his own. Why not right?

#224 9 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

FYI, Bally Wulff in Berlin assembles their own circuit boards for their slot machines.

And their yearly production units produced are at what scales? 1,5,10,20k units? More? Compared to someone making 1-2 products hoping to get a few hundred units sold.

Looking closer it looks like HomePin is electronics company that aspires to be a pinball manufacturer. If replacement boards are his core competency and main business, it would make sense to have his own PCB line to a degree.. again depending on volume.

But like I said earlier.. a company doing something else that also makes pins. They are going to need a lot more energy and time focusing on other bits.. not simple PCB production.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chinese-knock-offs-could-derail-pinball-comeback?tu=flynnibus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.