Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 293 posts
  • 107 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Chrisbee
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

made-in-china.jpg
    Made_in_china.jpg
    Shinola Clock.png
    GL010.jpg
    Un-Fortunate cookie.JPG
    enjoy.jpg
    redneck-1.jpg
    60x60.jpg
    image.jpg
    Wong wear mask.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dsuperbee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

Ever since China entered the World trade organization, the U.S has closed 5000 factories per year. They thought back then that the Chinese were incapable of manufacturing quality goods at cheap prices. Today everything from the underwear and t-shirt you wear to computer electronics is manufactured in China. The Chinese manufacturing capability currently surpasses the U.S. To take a pinball machine like Medieval Madness, strip it down, and make exact duplicates is not far fetched. They easily have the capability to do so and at a price point sub $1000. The more labour intensive something is, the greater their advantage. Planetary Pinball could have easily contacted one of these companies instead of C.G. or Stern to take a Williams Pinball machine, copy it and re-release. I think we will see exact copies of the most popular pins coming from China in the near future. Pinball is not exempt from the same economic forces that drove any other manufactured good to China.

I seriously doubt you will start seeing knock-off pins anytime soon. There simply is no market for it. I know it happened in the 80s with High Speed, but the pinball/arcade market was an entirely different beast then than what it is now.

#45 9 years ago

Steve Ritchie has mentioned it several times, that with the huge success of the game that fakes started being built. I do not remember the specifics, sorry.

But as I said the pinball business was in a MUCH better place than where it is now in terms of sales, so I do not think knock offs would be an issue. MAYBE common components (which we already see in terms of chips and such that are used in other items), but with as small of a market new pins are, knockoffs do not make much financial sense.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dsuperbee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chinese-knock-offs-could-derail-pinball-comeback?tu=dsuperbee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.