Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 293 posts
  • 107 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Chrisbee
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

made-in-china.jpg
    Made_in_china.jpg
    Shinola Clock.png
    GL010.jpg
    Un-Fortunate cookie.JPG
    enjoy.jpg
    redneck-1.jpg
    60x60.jpg
    image.jpg
    Wong wear mask.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider albummydavis.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#86 9 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

mrgone your statements are contradictory. I am fully aware of manufacturing in America as well as the costs associated (Fixed vs Variable costs). When a product becomes more labor intensive the Chinese company has an advantage. Costs to produce goods in the U.S. are far too high to be competitive. That is why there is so little manufacturing in America today. Why do you feel that a pinball machine is any different than any other manufactured good?

How could you make such a statement? especially since you did so sitting in a chair most likely made in china, typing on a keyboard made in china and looking at a monitor that is made in china. If you want more info you can call someone on your made in china iPhone. China sent a person into space and should not be underestimated.

They should not be underestimated, but there is almost no way they will ever make a quality pin. And I venture to say that any company that contracts them to do so will be out of business w/in a year.

Take the number of problems you have with domestic pins. Multiply it by 10. At least. As someone who manufactures some product in China, I'd say that's a safe bet. In areas where labor is cheap, service is not an issue. In the US, it will be a disaster. Add in the hidden cost of having games shipped to the US. At least 300 a game, plus expenses. Factor in damages from handling, corrosive sea air, and you'll have more hidden costs. Then there's always shipping costs once product arrives in the US.

Are the Chinese capable of doing this if it was considered an issue of national economic importance? Sure. But it's not. I think the comparison of pins to cars is not invalid here. It will be a long time before we see a viable, quality Chinese car sold in the US. I've driven Chinese built VW's. Ugh. Were the Chinese to apply the same incentives to pinball machines as computers, televisions, electronics, and automobiles, it could happen. But the very things that make pinball appealing to us-the physical precision, attention to detail, etc., make this perhaps even more challenging than building an iphone.

1 month later
    #266 9 years ago

I pre ordered a Medieval Madness LE for $8000 US. I sure that if that if it were made in China it would cost half that and have the same quality. My wife still isn't speaking to me since I ordered the pin.

If you think it would be the same quality, you're dreaming. There are very few Chinese consumer products that are the same quality. From appliances to trinkets, there are widespread problems. Unless a corporate giant (and neither Stern or JJP would qualify) like Apple, LG, or Samsung is holding a gun to their heads (figuratively), the attitude is largely to crank out product, regardless of quality, defects, etc. They want the cash in hand, and that's the end of the story. I just bought a heavy bag stand made in China, and it was impossible to assemble because holes had not been drilled into the metal supports. I make some merchandise in China, and the prevailing attitude is that unless they are afraid of losing your business, they just don't give a crap. In my case, I'm a licensee of a large entertainment company, so the are afraid of getting a bad rep. But that's the only thing keeping them from screwing me on a regular basis. This doesn't mean they aren't capable of producing a quality machine, it's just that they probably won't.

#268 9 years ago

If people were generally willing to pay 15%-20% more for U.S. made goods I don't think Walmart would be a prominent as it is today. The fact that Walmart is China's second largest trading partner proves that the majority of people will drop patriotism for savings. Therefore a Chinese manufactured pinball machine could potentially be accepted with the same enthusiasm.

You think the tail is wagging the dog. The consumer isn't demanding the lower prices (of course, they don't mind, though). The reality is that Walmart and Target and other large retailers have pretty much coerced manufacturers to move production to China just so they can offer lower prices . About 10 years ago, there was an interesting Frontline or 60 minutes episode in which a US congressman called Walmart an agency of the Chinese gov't. When faced with the overwhelming inability to buy American made products, the consumer becomes resigned to buying cheaper overseas product.

#269 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

China will make any product to any quality standard you are willing to pay for.
    Tube amps and high end stereo equipment? Check.
    Phones, computers, tablets? Check.
    Optics and eyepieces for high end telescopes? Check.
    Great plywood? Check.
    $3500 high end refrigerators? Check.
    When you get something crappy from China, it's because the company importing it only wanted a crappy product.
    -
    Japan used to have the same reputation. "Made in Japan" used to be slang for crappy quality.

I partially agree with this. Like I said, they can build quality. It's just that they often don't, and it's not just a matter of how much you pay. The horror stories I hear in my industry are unreal.

The Japan reputation, however, is sadly different and, i believe, was a product of bigotry. No one could imagine they produced quality merchandise as good as US products when, in fact, they almost always did. Everything Japan produced in the 60s and 70s, when this attitude was prevalent, was generally quality product, from toys to high-end electronics, to cars. This differs from what China produces, when looked at as a whole.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider albummydavis.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chinese-knock-offs-could-derail-pinball-comeback?tu=albummydavis and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.