Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 293 posts
  • 107 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Chrisbee
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

made-in-china.jpg
    Made_in_china.jpg
    Shinola Clock.png
    GL010.jpg
    Un-Fortunate cookie.JPG
    enjoy.jpg
    redneck-1.jpg
    60x60.jpg
    image.jpg
    Wong wear mask.JPG

This topic is closed.

There are 293 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
    #101 9 years ago
    Quoted from BMHouze:

if you leave it plugged in and you machine catches fire

If there is one thing pinball machines are known for, it's catching fire; especially Williams' games from 77-87 with the unfused rectifiers.

#102 9 years ago

20 holes?
    If the LE has 30 holes I'm in...

#103 9 years ago
    Quoted from albummydavis:

They should not be underestimated, but there is almost no way they will ever make a quality pin.

They could make a super quality pin at any time.

Your Iphone, is it not amazing quality?

How about your Samsung refrigerator? Not good quality for $3500?

China has no problem meeting any quality point the market needs.

#104 9 years ago

Wow they also have MOPLE for under a grand

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Pinball-game-machine-Chinese-cheap-pinball_1949006173.html

I am sure after they get your money you will never see it.

#105 9 years ago
    Quoted from JAXPinball:

Is there any meaningful Chinese export of Autos?

Ask again in ten years time.

#106 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

No doubt it would be possible to get a quality pin from China, it would just take a TON of work from the company having them made in the way of design, materials, QC etc. It's not nearly as easy as "contracting 1000 machines" like OP suggested he'd do if he had the money.

#107 9 years ago

My friend teaches English in china. His perspective is that they have very little free thought. It would be very difficult for the Chinese manufacturers to create a new pinball machine from scratch.

BUT they excel at copying and remembering things. That's why you see Chinese students becoming things like engineers and doctors. If there's knowledge in a book they can learn it and remember it, ask them to create a new field of expertise and they fall short. I don't think theirs many theoretical physicsts in china.

Their manufacturing plants are very skilled at reproducing things that are already designed. Hence the knockoffs in every product line available. There is no reason to believe that a knockoff pinball machine isn't possible, they just need something to copy.

#108 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Samsung is South Korea not China. That doesn't mean that some of the components aren't made in China though just like they are for just about every American product now days.

Totally different ballgame. That being said, pinball machines aren't rocket-science and the Chinese could duplicate the quality of a Stern machine very easily now days. For about 1/30th the cost if you buy in quantity.

I do business in China. I'm flying to Shanghai next month to evaluate some machinery for our Asian operations.

I'm going to be pretty-busy the next few weeks. In two weeks I fly to Malta for a week with another engineer, then from there go directly to Zurich, Switzerland. After that we go to Belgium and then the last few days we are going to Germany. Back home one week for Thanksgiving then off to China for a week.

#109 9 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Samsung is South Korea not China. That doesn't mean that some of the components aren't made in China though just like they are for just about every American product now days.

My Samsung frigs says China on it.

Apple headquarters is in California, but the Iphone is made in China.

I'm sure you get my drift.....

#110 9 years ago
    Quoted from dantebean:

Are you insinuating that Stern games are made in China? Not understanding what has been explained.

I love how everyone is yukking it up, Jack comes on and makes a joke and...

'Are you insinuating.... '

Lighten up Francis...

#111 9 years ago

Chinese products are decent if made by a big multinational.

When you get to smaller Chinese owned that is when things start going wrong.

Harvey Norman a large furniture retailer in australia has reduced its reliance on chinese furniture because warranty claims were giving them hell.

Chinese manufacturing is hurting a lot of the western world, and what pisses me off is that the quality is not there and people still want to set up there to save a few dollars.

Chinese pinball will not work too many moving parts, and assembled by hand.
    The playfield ply and cabinet will prob delaminate in a few yeasrs

#112 9 years ago

I say 100 of us pitch 10$, have a draw and the winner gets to keep whatever kind of machine comes to his/her door step. Haha

#113 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinPatch:

The playfield ply and cabinet will prob delaminate in a few yeasrs

Have you used DragonPly yet?

It will change your opinion about Chinese plywood.

#114 9 years ago

I guess we will find out next year if a chinese made pinball machine is any good
    Thunderbirds will be made in China

#115 9 years ago

You guys do know your iPhone are made in China?

#116 9 years ago

I feel a sense of Deja Vu. Many people actually think China can't produce a decent pin yet can send a man in orbit. I was in China 13 years ago when a U.S. high altitude spy plane crashed in China. The U.S. demanded it back. The Chinese stripped it down copied its components and gave it back to the U.S. They did it in less than one week. Time will tell but my money is that China will be a major player in the Pinball manufacturing over the next few years. It could either be in knock offs or it could be a legitimate person or company like Chicago coin or Stern who contracts them. Kinda like Apple with the iphones.

#117 9 years ago
    Quoted from Carl_694:

I six order now. We business do much. Me Love you long time.

53 people so far think that racist mocking is funny.

#118 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You are joking right?
    You can bring in an entire Container (40x8x8') for $3k from China.

vid you are 100% correct.
    one of my best friends brings over full sea cans of 8x10 construction quick set-up fencing. those cans are 8x8x40 and he pays around 1000.00 canadian and takes two months to arrive.
    oh and they really REALLY suck to unload them!

#119 9 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

making fun of someone's speech/grammar patterns isn't racist.
    if it was, the entire US would be racist against us Texan's y'all.

then again...

redneck-1.jpgredneck-1.jpg

#120 9 years ago

Chinese wont ever have their own pinball machines for one big reason.

Pinball machines simply aren't about the mechanics or how it's made BUT IF IT'S FUN TO PLAY.

They may get the contract manufacture (but I doubt it) but to come up with their own fun designs ain't going to happen.

Another thing is that manufacturing in China will not get any cheaper, it can only go up as workers start realising their real worth and get better wages and conditions, as they should.

A tenant of my father who is Chinese used to import trailers from China but due to quality issues started making them here in Australia with a mix of imported and local materials. He said welders in China are getting in high demand so their wages are going up. It is a myth that they paid a bowl of rice per day.

#121 9 years ago

I think its a bit stereotypical to assume the Chinese have no creativity. One needs only visit Shanghai, Beijing or Honk Kong to see that they have tremendous creativity. Their cuisine, art, and culture are world famous. To make a fun pin would not be a problem at all for them. But if they do begin to make pins, maybe it would be a good thing assuming that they would be lower in price and ppl could affort a few more in their private collections.

#122 9 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

Time will tell but my money is that China will be a major player in the Pinball manufacturing over the next few years. It could either be in knock offs or it could be a legitimate person or company like Chicago coin or Stern who contracts them. Kinda like Apple with the iphones.

I will take that bet, $100......in three years you can PayPal me, if not I will PayPal you....take the bet, and remember me.

#123 9 years ago

Make it five and your on

#124 9 years ago

#2 specification is interesting. How can we compete with that?

Specifications

1.Amazing style of pinball game.
    2.Different size to meet all needs.
    3.Earning lots of money.

#125 9 years ago

That company custom builds machines.

#126 9 years ago

Hey don't forget HOMEPIN creators of Thunderbirds Are Go!

#127 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

#2 specification is interesting. How can we compete with that?
    Specifications
    1.Amazing style of pinball game.
    2.Different size to meet all needs.
    3.Earning lots of money.

Looks like they also copied Stern's marketing material and strategy.

#128 9 years ago

#129 9 years ago

HOMEPIN proved my point. If that pin is well made, reliable and most of all fun, I'll be getting my $100 from ovfdfireman sooner than expected.

#130 9 years ago

Maybe you should buy the stock of Alibaba and not the pins, but if its listed on Alibaba, its definitely interesting.

Alibaba is the US equivalent of amazon and ebay rolled into one. At 260 billion its the 11th largest company on the S&P 500. (not in S&P yet, just came public here)

Maybe all pins will be made in China one day?

#131 9 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Maybe you should buy the stock of Alibaba and not the pins, but if its listed on Alibaba, its definitely interesting.
    Alibaba is the US equivalent of amazon and ebay rolled into one. At 260 billion its the 11th largest company on the S&P 500.
    Maybe all pins will be made in China one day?

I think its headed there.

#132 9 years ago

Most of shang hai and hong kongs buildings were designed by western architects...

Homepin is literally on the ground, in it is his own factory and the design is not chinese...but Australian

I dont think we will see lucky golden dragon tiger brand pinball machines designed and built in China selling in the USA anytime soon.
    Key word designed and built , not just built.

#133 9 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

I think you have it all wrong.

The ad is full of broken English so no stereotypes were projected

Besides most stereotypes & statistics are often the same.

Example: Old people drive slow & shitty.

As long as its not hateful its not hateful, know what I mean

#134 9 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

I think its a bit stereotypical to assume the Chinese have no creativity. One needs only visit Shanghai, Beijing or Honk Kong to see that they have tremendous creativity. Their cuisine, art, and culture are world famous. To make a fun pin would not be a problem at all for them. But if they do begin to make pins, maybe it would be a good thing assuming that they would be lower in price and ppl could affort a few more in their private collections.

Their cuisine,art,and culture are thousands of years old. The cancer of communism has nearly destroyed independent thought as it has everywhere else it has infected.

#136 9 years ago

Great deal if its legit.

#137 9 years ago

That's Dirty Donnys original Easthsaker re-theme he did before Stern Metallica.

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=5478

Be funny if they accidentally coppiced that instead of Sterns.

#138 9 years ago

just did a chat with the supplier,

us1060257017(2014-11-01 16:48:26):
    Pricing on 25 of these?
    uk1016230856(2014-11-01 16:48:48):
    each is 1700$
    us1060257017(2014-11-01 16:49:37):
    Will they all be the one of a kind prototype earthshaker re-theme as you pictured?
    uk1016230856(2014-11-01 16:50:01):
    yes

Looks like a lot of scammers on alibaba

#139 9 years ago

Entire cities in China have been built around manufacturing inexpensive copies of international products. If there can be money made, they will do it.

#140 9 years ago

enjoy.jpgenjoy.jpg

#141 9 years ago

I don't dispute a Chinese game could be released, and even be a game people like, but a "major player" and "derail pinball" as the title says ..... I disagree

#142 9 years ago

iPhone was designed and engineered by Apple in the USA which is #5 in Fortune 500. The parts are all sourced and supervised by Apple. All thats being done in China is putting the things together aka the manufacturing in buildings which have suicide nets wrapped around them.

We compare that to a Pinball made with parts we have no idea where they came from, being supervised by not someone we know. Most likely if you order one, it would come with lead balls, toxic paint and an electrical system that would burn your house down.

#143 9 years ago
    Quoted from ZenTron:

iPhone was designed and engineered by Apple in the USA which is #5 in Fortune 500. The parts are all sourced and supervised by Apple. All thats being done in China is putting the things together aka the manufacturing in buildings which have suicide nets wrapped around them.
    We compare that to a Pinball made with parts we have no idea where they came from, being supervised by not someone we know. Most likely if you order one, it would come with lead balls, toxic paint and an electrical system that would burn your house down.

Apple is #1 and its not even close right now, just saying.

As for sourcing something through Alibabi, there is no doubt if a manufacturer claims they can do it for you then its legit, its like Amazon times 2 standing behind a product.

Alibabi is HUGE and may rival Apple's size one day, in fact, they are in talks to do something together with Apple pay and Alipay.

The way I see this going is somebody here in the US is going to say, make me 250 _______ machines, here are the specs, give me a price. Just like Apple.

#144 9 years ago

Pinball runs on caveman parts mostly designed 70 years ago.

China is not going to have any problems building a bunch of coils, flashing lights, plywood, and a CPU less powerful than a 20 year old cell phone.

#145 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Pinball runs on caveman parts mostly designed 70 years ago.
    China is not going to have any problems building a bunch of coils, flashing lights, plywood, and a CPU less powerful than a 20 year old cell phone.

Exactly, they would look at the current specs, laugh and say what is this shit, and then spit out a better designed/built new high tech pin for half or 1/3 of the cost.

#146 9 years ago

Look at it this way.

Here in the USA I can get a full cabinet, with decals made for $400.

A screened and cleared playfield for $250.

A populated MPU circuitboard for $45.

What do you think those things cost when made in China?

None of that stuff is rocket science.....

#147 9 years ago

I might call them and see if I can get into the pin manufacture business.
    serious.

#148 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Look at it this way.
    Here in the USA I can get a full cabinet, with decals made for $400.
    A screened and cleared playfield for $250.
    A populated MPU circuitboard for $45.
    What do you think those things cost when made in China?
    None of that stuff is rocket science.....

Would current remakes of old games be more palatable for $4000 and made in China?

#149 9 years ago

I bet system 11 games could retail for $2000-$2500 in North America; if they were built in china.

#150 9 years ago

Look how advanced "The Pin" is and it retails, delivered to your door, for $2500

There are 293 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chinese-knock-offs-could-derail-pinball-comeback/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.