• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2019-02-27-11-05-10-29 (resized).png
chime box after 1 (resized).jpg
1551210580009182874593 (resized).jpg
chime box after 1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago

Maybe this post from my Bon Voyage thread might help a bit, those are Ballys of very similar vintage and I would guess the chime boxes are similar. There's a pic of the chime box there that shows the solenoids and wiring pretty well.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-bon-voyage-restoration-lite/page/3#post-3003869

Now having looked at this more closely, I find myself confused!!! I have brought over the pic of the Bon Voyage chime box, here it is.

chime box after 1 (resized).jpgchime box after 1 (resized).jpg

I have conflicts all over the place. The schematic shows the colors for the 3 chimes as follows:

10 pt BLUE-W
100 pt O-W
1000 pt G-B

In the pic the BLU-W wire which is presumably for 10 points is the middle chime. Seems like it should be the shortest one?

The O-W wire which is presumably for 100 points is on the tallest chime.

The other solenoid has a R-W wire, not G-B. Not sure what is going on there. Error in the schematic? Someone swapped it?

The Captain Fantastic schematic shows it like this:

10 pt R-W
100 pt BLU-W
1000 pt O-W

So it should be easy to wire it up, except now I am confused as to the pairings of the solenoids and the chimes. I would have thought it would go like this but my BV is not set up that way.

10 pt shortest
100 pt middle
1000 point tallest

#8 5 years ago

OK I got curious so I went and did some testing. Referring to this picture again which is the Bon Voyage unit. By playfield testing I confirmed this:

10 points is the short chime, which as you can see has a R-W wire.
100 points is the medium chime, it has a BLU-W wire.
1000 points is the long chime, it has a O-W wire.

The wire colors on the adjustment plug all match up with the ones on the main board that it plugs into.

So again, the schematic says:

10 pt BLU-W
100 pt O-W
1000 pt G-B

So basically the schematic is completely goofy.

10 pt BLU-W wrong it is R-W
100 pt O-W wrong it is BLU-W
1000 pt G-B wrong ig is O-W, there is no G-B wire

I have found several other errors in the BV schematic so this doesn't surprise me. It is some sloppiness/laziness going way back to when these were documented and built. It would be interesting to see other BV wiring to see if it matches with mine.

The important thing is yes as Billc said, the chimes are wired smallest to largest by point score smallest to largest. Makes sense.

chime box after 1 (resized).jpgchime box after 1 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 22.50
1,799 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Charlottesville, VA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chime-box-photo-needed?tu=xsvtoys and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.