52 days ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 51 days ago by Raff
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot_2019-02-27-11-05-10-29 (resized).png
chime box after 1 (resized).jpg
1551210580009182874593 (resized).jpg

#1 52 days ago

Hey was hoping someone could show me a picture of a properly wired chime box for a Captain Fantastic.

Mine had the box with no solenoids so I am not sure what goes where. I have a wiring diagram but am unsure if there is a positive and neg side of the coils or if it matters.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

#2 52 days ago

Maybe this post from my Bon Voyage thread might help a bit, those are Ballys of very similar vintage and I would guess the chime boxes are similar. There's a pic of the chime box there that shows the solenoids and wiring pretty well.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-bon-voyage-restoration-lite/page/3#post-3003869

Now having looked at this more closely, I find myself confused!!! I have brought over the pic of the Bon Voyage chime box, here it is.

I have conflicts all over the place. The schematic shows the colors for the 3 chimes as follows:

10 pt BLUE-W
100 pt O-W
1000 pt G-B

In the pic the BLU-W wire which is presumably for 10 points is the middle chime. Seems like it should be the shortest one?

The O-W wire which is presumably for 100 points is on the tallest chime.

The other solenoid has a R-W wire, not G-B. Not sure what is going on there. Error in the schematic? Someone swapped it?

The Captain Fantastic schematic shows it like this:

10 pt R-W
100 pt BLU-W
1000 pt O-W

So it should be easy to wire it up, except now I am confused as to the pairings of the solenoids and the chimes. I would have thought it would go like this but my BV is not set up that way.

10 pt shortest
100 pt middle
1000 point tallest

#3 52 days ago

Well here's how I got it wired now it seems to work but I just wanted to make sure it looks very close to what you posted.

I appreciate you posting that for me. It helps me out

1551210580009182874593 (resized).jpg
#4 51 days ago

Williams Triple Strike has the chimes wired from small to large: 100, 10, 1000, so it seems reasonable that Bally might do something similar. Unless you're worried about authenticity, it probably doesn't matter which chime rings for which point value as long as you like the sound. These should all be AC coils, so there is no positive or negative to worry about.

#5 51 days ago

Okay I guess my next question would be smaller score amount Rings the shorter chime to the bigger chime or vice versa

#6 51 days ago

Usually, smallest chime is smallest score, longest (largest) chime is highest score. 10 - short, 100 - medium, 1000 longest

#7 51 days ago

Ok cool thx for the info!

#8 51 days ago

OK I got curious so I went and did some testing. Referring to this picture again which is the Bon Voyage unit. By playfield testing I confirmed this:

10 points is the short chime, which as you can see has a R-W wire.
100 points is the medium chime, it has a BLU-W wire.
1000 points is the long chime, it has a O-W wire.

The wire colors on the adjustment plug all match up with the ones on the main board that it plugs into.

So again, the schematic says:

10 pt BLU-W
100 pt O-W
1000 pt G-B

So basically the schematic is completely goofy.

10 pt BLU-W wrong it is R-W
100 pt O-W wrong it is BLU-W
1000 pt G-B wrong ig is O-W, there is no G-B wire

I have found several other errors in the BV schematic so this doesn't surprise me. It is some sloppiness/laziness going way back to when these were documented and built. It would be interesting to see other BV wiring to see if it matches with mine.

The important thing is yes as Billc said, the chimes are wired smallest to largest by point score smallest to largest. Makes sense.

#9 51 days ago

Screenshot_2019-02-27-11-05-10-29 (resized).png
This might help you.There are three coils they are joined to each other by the right lug of each coil. The first coil on the left is were the main power is connected to and its the the right lug.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 21.00
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
€ 279.00
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy
€ 9.95
Playfield - Other
Multigame
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 2.50
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 64.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
£ 58.00
Playfield - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
$ 50.00
$ 234.99
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside