(Topic ID: 166527)

Chicago Pinsiders- - Traveling here for my B Day and need Suggestions!

By Redknight87

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by aobrien5
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20160923_111601942 (resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    IMAG1674_(resized).jpg
    IMAG1675_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    neverputketchuponahotdog_400x400_(resized).jpg
    ChicagoNoKetchupSign_(resized).jpg
    There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

Hello everyone,

My girlfriend had this awesome idea for us to travel to Chicago and visit the Stern Factory for my birthday! How could I say no to that?! Anyway, we are set to leave Houston on Thursday the 22nd in the early morning and fly back Monday the 26th late in the evening.

We have compiled a small list of things we would like to do while there and I am looking for suggestions from the community.

Basically after we land we are going to head straight to the Stern Factory for a tour. From what I understand we will need to set up an appointment in advance.

I want to go to a Cubs game and see Wrigley field. The problem with this is that Cubs are number one in their division right now and while we are there they will be playing the Cardinals who are number two and huge rivals so tickets are at a premium. If anyone has suggestions on good places to sit and how to obtain tickets other than stub hub and craigslist scammers it would be very appreciated.

I have read about a barcade called Emporium. I checked out their website and it looks like they have a pretty extensive A title list of pinballs. It looked really cool in the pictures. If you have any info on this please share!

I want to visit Willis Tower and go to the sky deck. I think this is going to be really cool.

We have been told we have to eat a Chicago dog, and deep dish pizza.

We read about a city pass that will allow us to use one ticket for 5 museums.

From what we hear it will be cool in the evening and 80 degrees or so during the time we are there which will be a nice change from the muggy 110 degree humid weather.

If you have any suggestions on places to go, things to see, places to eat please share! I want to make the most out of this experience.

Thank you to everyone in advance!

#2 7 years ago

Wrigley is a must, tickets will be a bit pricey. The best way is to just go to wrigleyville and wait to buy tix 20 min or so before the game starts from one of the many tix brokers that have shops around wrigley. Logan's hardware is pretty close to wrigley and is an awesome barcade. AND WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT ORDER YOUR HOT DOG WITH KETCHUP!!

#3 7 years ago

The architectural boat tours on the Chicago river are cool. You guys could rent a Divy bike and go up and down Lake Shore Drive and see a lot. There are free trolleys that have routes out to Navy pier and around the museums, so if you are into museums you can take advantage of those.

You are correct about tickets to a Cubs/Cards series going for a premium. Watch out for obstructed view tickets, or tickets farther up on the first level. You lose sight of fly balls the further back you go. While not the true Wrigley field experience, the rooftops are fun and food and drink are included. I think they are around $125, you can find them on Groupon for under $100 but not during Cubs/Cards series.

Millenium park is cool, go see Cloudgate (AKA the Bean) and the fountains with the faces on them, can't remember what that's called. Pritzker pavilion is right there too. Navy Pier....is "meh" to me. It's a tourist trap in my opinion. Buckingham fountain is not far away. If you post where you are staying people will give suggestion for dining I'm sure.

#4 7 years ago

Logans Arcade is the ONLY pinball place worth visiting if you want quality playing games.

If you just want to get drunk then the others will do.

For other activities > the Shedd Aquarium is always a favorite for a half day.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Wrigley is a must, tickets will be a bit pricey. The best way is to just go to wrigleyville and wait to buy tix 20 min or so before the game starts from one of the many tix brokers that have shops around wrigley. Logan's hardware is pretty close to wrigley and is an awesome barcade. AND WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT ORDER YOUR HOT DOG WITH KETCHUP!!

Do you think buying tix that late is a risk? Great suggestion though, I did not think of that.

We will definately need to check out Logan's before or after the game.

Hotdog's are meant to have mustard! as well as corndogs! lol I am sure I would get the stankeye if I ordered it with Ketchup. Ha ha!

Quoted from Dewey68:

The architectural boat tours on the Chicago river are cool. You guys could rent a Divy bike and go up and down Lake Shore Drive and see a lot. There are free trolleys that have routes out to Navy pier and around the museums, so if you are into museums you can take advantage of those.
    You are correct about tickets to a Cubs/Cards series going for a premium. Watch out for obstructed view tickets, or tickets farther up on the first level. You lose sight of fly balls the further back you go. While not the true Wrigley field experience, the rooftops are fun and food and drink are included. I think they are around $125, you can find them on Groupon for under $100 but not during Cubs/Cards series.
    Millenium park is cool, go see Cloudgate (AKA the Bean) and the fountains with the faces on them, can't remember what that's called. Pritzker pavilion is right there too. Navy Pier....is "meh" to me. It's a tourist trap in my opinion. Buckingham fountain is not far away. If you post where you are staying people will give suggestion for dining I'm sure.

The boat tour sounds cool. We also thought about a helicopter tour. What I read about the Divy bikes is that you can rent them for $7.00 for the whole day but they are meant to get from point A to point B and must be returned to a terminal every 30 minutes and you can swap out the bike. Is that correct?

Loosing sight of a ball flying 100mph or greater definitely sounds dangerous. haha. I am thinking our budget for tickets to this game is about $60.00 - $70.00 per ticket since there are so many other things we want to do. Other than the obstructed view seats is there really a bad seat at the ballpark?

Millennium Park is noted.
    Buckingham fountain is noted and will look more into that.
    My girlfirend does want to see "The Bean" lol.
    Galveston is not far from Houston and they have something similar to Navy pier called Pleasure Pier. It sounds like it is the same thing. Rides, carnival games, expensive over priced fried foods ect.

We chose to use Air Bnb as opposed to a hotel. It was much cheaper. We are staying in an apartment in the heart of Downtown "Gold Coast Chicago" . Please tell me this is a good area to be in. lol

Dinner suggestions around that area would be awesome!

Quoted from Whysnow:

Logans Arcade is the ONLY pinball place worth visiting if you want quality playing games.
    If you just want to get drunk then the others will do.
    For other activities > the Shedd Aquarium is always a favorite for a half day.

Sounds like Logan's is the place to go!

I love aquariums! great suggestion, I will look more into it!

Thank you everyone for some great suggestions. Any more?!

#7 7 years ago

I live

Quoted from Redknight87:My girlfriend had this awesome idea for us to travel to Chicago and visit the Stern Factory for my birthday! How could I say no to that?! Anyway, we are set to leave Houston on Thursday the 22nd in the early morning and fly back Monday the 26th late in the evening.

What time does your plane land on Thursday? I live very close to O'Hare. You guys are welcome to come over, play some pinball, and then I'll take you out for some Italian Beef at Portillos.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from Redknight87:

Do you think buying tix that late is a risk? Great suggestion though, I did not think of that.
    We will definately need to check out Logan's before or after the game.
    Hotdog's are meant to have mustard! as well as corndogs! lol I am sure I would get the stankeye if I ordered it with Ketchup. Ha ha!

The boat tour sounds cool. We also thought about a helicopter tour. What I read about the Divy bikes is that you can rent them for $7.00 for the whole day but they are meant to get from point A to point B and must be returned to a terminal every 30 minutes and you can swap out the bike. Is that correct?
    Loosing sight of a ball flying 100mph or greater definitely sounds dangerous. haha. I am thinking our budget for tickets to this game is about $60.00 - $70.00 per ticket since there are so many other things we want to do. Other than the obstructed view seats is there really a bad seat at the ballpark?
    Millennium Park is noted.
    Buckingham fountain is noted and will look more into that.
    My girlfirend does want to see "The Bean" lol.
    Galveston is not far from Houston and they have something similar to Navy pier called Pleasure Pier. It sounds like it is the same thing. Rides, carnival games, expensive over priced fried foods ect.
    We chose to use Air Bnb as opposed to a hotel. It was much cheaper. We are staying in an apartment in the heart of Downtown "Gold Coast Chicago" . Please tell me this is a good area to be in. lol
    Dinner suggestions around that area would be awesome!

Sounds like Logan's is the place to go!
    I love aquariums! great suggestion, I will look more into it!
    Thank you everyone for some great suggestions. Any more?!

It really isn't much of a risk, I've done it dozens of times, you'll either have to pay a bit more or you will have to hang out in wrigleyville where there are literally 100 bars within a 2 block radius. WIN, WIN!!

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

AND WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT ORDER YOUR HOT DOG WITH KETCHUP!!

Don't listen to the Hot Dog Nazi's. They put tomatoes on hot dogs! What's that but raw ketchup?!

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

Don't listen to the Hot Dog Nazi's. They put tomatoes on hot dogs! What's that but raw ketchup?!

Ketchup tastes nothing like a nice ripe tomato, Hoosiers

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Ketchup tastes nothing like a nice ripe tomato, Hoosiers

You're right, tomatoes are gross.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

You're right, tomatoes are gross.

But I thought ketchup and tomatoes were the same thing?

#13 7 years ago

ChicagoNoKetchupSign_(resized).jpgChicagoNoKetchupSign_(resized).jpg

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

But I thought ketchup and tomatoes were the same thing?

No, I said tomatoes were raw ketchup. Everything is better processed, that's why McDonald's is so popular!

Lots of them HD Nazi's around here...

#15 7 years ago

I think I'm going to have to send you a copy of this book, aobrien5 ....

neverputketchuponahotdog_400x400_(resized).jpgneverputketchuponahotdog_400x400_(resized).jpg

#16 7 years ago

Another one of my favorite Vienna signs

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from Redknight87:

Loosing sight of a ball flying 100mph or greater definitely sounds dangerous. haha.

Picture sitting way back in the lower section and the upper deck blocks the sky. You'll see the ball hit, rise and disappear, then reappear in the outfield. You have to be pretty far back for this to happen though.

That may be correct on the Divy bikes, but they have the stations all over the place. I've never used them but they look like a cool option.

#18 7 years ago

Sorry, had to go get lunch.

IMAG1675_(resized).jpgIMAG1675_(resized).jpg

It was delicious!

I'm a rebel. Or a child, whatever.

IMAG1674_(resized).jpgIMAG1674_(resized).jpg

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

Sorry, had to go get lunch.

It was delicious!
    I'm a rebel. Or a child, whatever.

lol, did your mommy cut it up for you?

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

lol, did your mommy cut it up for you?

Lol, nope, she says I'm a big boy!

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I live

What time does your plane land on Thursday? I live very close to O'Hare. You guys are welcome to come over, play some pinball, and then I'll take you out for some Italian Beef at Portillos.

I believe we land at 8:50am. I would have to check though. That is so nice of you to offer that! I will let you know if we will take you up on that option.

Quoted from Jaybird815:

It really isn't much of a risk, I've done it dozens of times, you'll either have to pay a bit more or you will have to hang out in wrigleyville where there are literally 100 bars within a 2 block radius. WIN, WIN!!

People in Chicago like to drink huh? HA HA!

So I just read the rest of the thread and was laughing my ass off how the whole thread branched off on Tomatoes and Hot dogs. You guy's must have been hungry! hahaha.

And Tomatoes are NASTY!!! Ketchup for Freedom Fries is great though.

#22 7 years ago

It's a passionate topic around here, apparently so much so that they wrote a book about it!

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

It's a passionate topic around here, apparently so much so that they wrote a book about it!

Bob Schwartz, the guy who wrote that book, is actually the Senior VP of Vienna Beef.

#24 7 years ago

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Bob Schwartz, the guy who wrote that book, is actually the Senior VP of Vienna Beef.

That's interesting. Now I kinda want to read it.

#26 7 years ago

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

#27 7 years ago

If you have a nostalgia for video games, you definitely have to check out Galloping Ghost. They have over 500 of the old-school games. It's pretty incredible ...

http://www.gallopingghostarcade.com/

The arcade is less than 10 minutes from Brookfield Zoo, so you could technically kill two birds with one stone. I'd also highly recommend The Museum of Science and Industry. In fact, you can't go wrong with any of the city's museums. The Planetarium, Aquarium, Art Institute and Field Museum are all awesome in their own way.

#28 7 years ago

There's a Pizano's pizza not far from where you'll be staying, that would be my recommendation for Chicago style pizza that's close by.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dewey68:

There's a Pizano's pizza not far from where you'll be staying, that would be my recommendation for Chicago style pizza that's close by.

I would have recommended either Uno or Due, which I consider to be the quintessential Chicago deep dish pizza. I'm personally not a huge fan of Pizano's, but I know it's popular. Either way, they certainly won't starve. There's a ton of amazing restaurants in that area.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I would have recommended either Uno or Due, which I consider to be the quintessential Chicago deep dish pizza. I'm personally not a huge fan of Pizano's, but I know it's popular. Either way, they certainly won't starve. There's a ton of amazing restaurants in that area.

True dat! Deep dish isn't my favorite, but you really can't go wrong, just don't do Giordano's. Rednight87 may come out of the Windy City 10 # heavier if he partakes in all of the food he's mentioned. I haven't had a good Italian sausage and beef combo in a while. My arteries are hardening just thinking about it!

#31 7 years ago

For another take on pizza you probably can't get anywhere else, try Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Company (note they're a cash only joint). Their Mediterranean bread is also amazing.

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dewey68:

True dat! Deep dish isn't my favorite, but you really can't go wrong, just don't do Giordano's. Rednight87 may come out of the Windy City 10 # heavier if he partakes in all of the food he's mentioned. I haven't had a good Italian sausage and beef combo in a while. My arteries are hardening just thinking about it!

It's funny how everyone from outside of Chicago thinks that all we eat is deep dish, in reality I rarely eat deep dish, unless I'm eating with someone from out of town

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dewey68:

True dat! Deep dish isn't my favorite, but you really can't go wrong, just don't do Giordano's.

I think Giordano's is technically considered "stuffed", which is a different animal from the traditional deep dish you get at places like Gino's East, Lou Malnati's, Uno/Due, etc ... I agree, Giordano's kind of sucks. I don't even know how they are still in business. I ate there for the first time in years recently, and I didn't like it at all. I'm generally not a huge fan of stuffed pizza, but I do like Bacino's.

My favorite deep dish/pan pizza is Pequod's in Morton Grove. The caramelized cheese around the edge gives it a flavor that is unlike any other pizza. Yummm!!! I grew up five minutes from there, so it's pretty much part of my DNA at this point.

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

It's funny how everyone from outside of Chicago thinks that all we eat is deep dish, in reality I rarely eat deep dish, unless I'm eating with someone from out of town.

Totally! I love a good deep dish pizza, but I eat thin crust way more often. Last night we ordered from Lou Malnati's, a place synonymous with deep dish, and we all had thin crust.

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Totally! I love a good deep dish pizza, but I eat thin crust way more often. Last night we ordered from Lou Malnati's, a place synonymous with deep dish, and we all had thin crust.

They just opened a Lous a block from our office, not sure if that's a good or bad thing

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

They just opened a Lous a block from our office, not sure if that's a good or bad thing

It's both. Good for your soul, but bad for your heart.

#37 7 years ago

Speaking of bad for your heart, I think I'll have a gyro for lunch. Extra tomato in honor of aobrien

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Speaking of bad for your heart, I think I'll have a gyro for lunch. Extra tomato in honor of aobrien

I had a gyro for lunch yesterday. The next time you are out this way, I'll take you to a place that has the best gryos in the city.

#39 7 years ago

This thread is making me hungry and want to go to Chicago.

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Hah, don't ruin your food on my account.

#41 7 years ago

Awesome recommendations everyone! I did read in this little travel guide we have that most people in Chicago prefer thin crust. I personally love hand tossed pizza. The crust is too crispy for me when we choose to order thin.

I have a feeling the airliner may charge me a fas ass fee on my flight home after I get done eating everything known to man that Chicago has to offer. haha.

Since we are on the subject of food lets talk beer. What is a good local beer to the Chicago area? I enjoy all different kinds of beer. Karbach Hopadillo IPA has been my favorite recently. I also enjoy Shiner, Dos XX, Goose Island IPA ect.

Jaybird815 if you put tomatoes on a good Gyro you totally ruined it. haha.

#42 7 years ago

You already mentioned one of my go to beers, Goose Island. They make a nice variety besides their IPA. I'm a big Honker's Ale fan. Lagunitas has some good beers, uh...Two Brothers....those come to mind. Sounds like you are a hop head!

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from Redknight87:

Since we are on the subject of food lets talk beer. What is a good local beer to the Chicago area? I enjoy all different kinds of beer. Karbach Hopadillo IPA has been my favorite recently. I also enjoy Shiner, Dos XX, Goose Island IPA ect.
    Jaybird815 if you put tomatoes on a good Gyro you totally ruined it. haha.

If you can find a place that has Three Floyd's Zombie Dust, get that. If you like IPAs, you'll love that. It's from my neck of the woods, so Jaybird won't like it, but he's really missing out.

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

If you can find a place that has Three Floyd's Zombie Dust, get that. If you like IPAs, you'll love that. It's from my neck of the woods, so Jaybird won't like it, but he's really missing out.

Zombie dust is good stuff, as long as you don't ruin it with ketchup, or is it catsup

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I'll take you out for some Italian Beef at Portillos.

I drove and picked up a firepower a couple weekends ago in Chicago and happened upon a portillo's. I looked over the menu and thought ok I will give the Italian beef a try. Must be a Chicago thing. Guess I got to many NC taste buds.

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

I drove and picked up a firepower a couple weekends ago in Chicago and happened upon a portillo's. I looked over the menu and thought ok I will give the Italian beef a try. Must be a Chicago thing. guess I got to many NC taste buds.

Portillos can be hit or miss, there's much better Italian beef to be had. How'd you order it, dipped, moist, dry w/ giardenera or sweet peppers?

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Portillos can be hit or miss, there's much better Italian beef to be had. How'd you order it, dipped, moist, dry w/ giardenera or sweet peppers?

It was good just not something I was used too. I have never even heard the term Italian beef before that night. Would I order it again? Sure.

I saw the sign said they come wet so I just went "plain". When we see the word gravy, we think of either the brown or white stuff. We would call your "gravy" au jus. If you had some of our BBQ you would say WTF. Pork in vinegar.

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Dipped with sweet for me!!!

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

I have never even heard the term Italian beef before that night.

It's a regional food. You rarely see it outside of this part of the country. For someone that's never had one before, I'd describe it as a zesty french dip sandwich. When you order it dipped, they take the entire sandwich and dunk it in the "gravy", infusing the entire thing with yumminess!

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Dipped with sweet for me!!!

Exactly!!

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chicago-pinsiders-traveling-here-for-my-b-day-and-need-suggestions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.