Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 468 posts
  • 158 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Randy_G
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20221022_145017 (resized).jpg
    Expo 22 booth sm (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1666456596750 (resized).jpg
    unnamed (1)ab (resized).jpg
    unnamed (1)a (resized).jpg
    unnamed (1)asd (resized).jpg
    unnamed (8)a (resized).jpg
    expo 14 (resized).png
    rocky-horror-dancing-rocky.gif
    PXL_20220529_014749835 (resized).jpg
    3717FBCE-A574-4E6B-90DC-C9A669A5D55E (resized).jpeg
    6D160B54-71BE-4D37-88D3-07A719C29B56 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4464 (resized).JPG
    rgl (resized).jpg
    20221022_155904 (resized).jpg
    5EC12C00-2B66-4EDA-8F83-0510059A2638 (resized).jpeg
    There are 468 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 10.
    #351 1 year ago

I'm still getting over someone trying to sell a Scared Stiff for $11.5K.

HFS....

#352 1 year ago
    Quoted from NPO:

I'm still getting over someone trying to sell a Scared Stiff for $11.5K.
    HFS....

That's small potatoes...... there's a distro trying to push a GoldenEye for $15K......

#353 1 year ago
    Quoted from wallybgood:

Got a chance to hear a couple of Gryszzz Expo stories.
    [quoted image]

What Would Jason Do...
    We know what he would do..bentass finger and all.
    Notice that the beer holding hand finger was rising to the occasion as well.
    Haha, hope everyone had a great time.

pasted_image jason (resized).pngpasted_image jason (resized).png
    #354 1 year ago

Man i got some post expo depression goin on

#355 1 year ago
    5EC12C00-2B66-4EDA-8F83-0510059A2638 (resized).jpeg5EC12C00-2B66-4EDA-8F83-0510059A2638 (resized).jpegDAD0335F-358B-4C63-B091-18CDD7040B49 (resized).jpegDAD0335F-358B-4C63-B091-18CDD7040B49 (resized).jpegDB27E6D3-EDA4-4149-B4E8-B0D59C135A09 (resized).jpegDB27E6D3-EDA4-4149-B4E8-B0D59C135A09 (resized).jpeg
    #356 1 year ago
    20221022_155904 (resized).jpg20221022_155904 (resized).jpg
    #357 1 year ago

That dude up there bit that doves head off, crazy

#358 1 year ago
    Quoted from wallybgood:

Got a chance to hear a couple of Gryszzz Expo stories.
    [quoted image]

I hope he told you the one about his battery dying at Pinball Life.

#359 1 year ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

I agree, loved their enthusiasm and the games, especially this Rapid Transit and the Play Ball. Surprising fun to play. As the owner point out, these games are almost 90 years old and still playable.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

The 1934 Rockola game's title is World's Series. It's among the most popular prewar games.

The "play ball" on the marquee is somewhat confusing. Go Phillies.

#360 1 year ago

G'day Everyone
    Unfortunately we feel the need to post here today to put a stop to the misinformation being circulated by some people at this weekends Pinball Expo.

We have not disappeared, we clearly stated months before we closing our intensions and reasons, Retirement, factory and equipment sold and doing this for twenty years seven days a week called it a day.

The remaining stock in full is still at my premises and "If and "When" we decide to disperse this stock an announcement from us or the new owner will be made and not by some bystander with no knowledge of our business meddling simply to pump ones own tyre's up.

As stated in a interview at Expo 2022 and uploaded to on Youtube there has been a meeting already arranged between Kim Oswald from the Goat Shed and Gordon Williams of Pinball Rescue on November 1 upon Kims return to Australia.

Let us be Very clear about this.

There is no truth to this statement in any way, shape or form!

Regards
    Pinball Rescue

#361 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

The "play ball" on the marquee is somewhat confusing. Go Phillies.

That's why I couldn't find it in IPDB! And though I am a lifelong Cardinal fan I will be rooting for the Phillies. They are certainly getting their monies worth with Harper in the post season.

#362 1 year ago
    Quoted from spinout:

The best part was that I really loved talking to folks while waiting in that line. Their stories, backgrounds and generally friendliness were truly nice to see!

I actually met the (I hope I get this right) great-grand-nephew and great grand-niece of RG Letourneau in that line - made my year! I'm kind of a (maybe the only? Certainly the most well-read) fan of ol' RG, when I'm not accidentally being a pinball historian.

I did not get to spend as much time at Expo as usual this year, but I agree with the sentiments that it was a vast improvement over the somewhat depressing show last year. Rob did a better job of hiding the fact that the vast majority of old games were still his this year - by spreading them out and arranging them in various different ways, by bringing even more of them, and most importantly by making sure the damn things more or less worked this time. Still not perfect, but so much better. It was more things like "Mata Hari's saucer always puts the ball SDTM" rather than "these 6 games in a row won't even power on."

After last year I wasn't feeling motivated to bring some of my own games to help improve things; after this year, I could see it in coming years.

rgl (resized).jpgrgl (resized).jpg
    #363 1 year ago

What a weekend!! ❤️

IMG_4464 (resized).JPGIMG_4464 (resized).JPG

I hope everyone who queued up enjoyed playing mg. It was fun for me to chat to some of you whilst you were waiting in the line. I really appreciated all the kind comments and interest and the fact that there WAS a line to play it The line was even still there at 12midnight on sunday morning!! Awesome. Special thanks to American Pinball who were great and very friendly and helpful to us. Their new Valhalla game was super fun to play and i always like playing Hot Wheels to at any show!

Some stats from the event (Thursday to Sunday 2am) from the show magic girl game.

Average ball time: 58 secs
    Average game time (inc multiplayer games): 4mins 54 secs
    Total game time: 41 hours 41 mins
    Total balls played: 2549
    Total Games: ~800
    ❤️

#364 1 year ago

Expo was really good this year. One of favorite parts was hanging with the Poor Man’s Tribe!

I also helped at the FlipNOut booth. Great to meet everyone!

3717FBCE-A574-4E6B-90DC-C9A669A5D55E (resized).jpeg3717FBCE-A574-4E6B-90DC-C9A669A5D55E (resized).jpeg6D160B54-71BE-4D37-88D3-07A719C29B56 (resized).jpeg6D160B54-71BE-4D37-88D3-07A719C29B56 (resized).jpeg

#365 1 year ago

Had a blast at the expo this year! Plenty of pins to play & enough vendors to look at. I attended on Saturday only. Well worth the $45 price tag!

I’ll be coming back next year.

#366 1 year ago
    Quoted from applejuice:

I hope everyone who queued up enjoyed playing mg. It was fun for me to chat to some of you whilst you were waiting in the line. I really appreciated all the kind comments and interest and the fact that there WAS a line to play it The line was even still there at 12midnight on sunday morning!! Awesome.

Jim, I'm really happy to hear you had this positive experience with Magic Girl at the show after all the years of turmoil.

#367 1 year ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Love expo, but could the damn music be any louder? I realize its kinda an old man yelling at clouds moment, but music is too loud!

I like to hear the pinball games. I dont't mind the DJ, but do we really need it all freaking day? maybe for an hour at a time.

#368 1 year ago

Who won the James Bond Pro at the 8pm drawing on Saturday?

#369 1 year ago

The only point where the music bothered me was the first evening where it wasn't coming from the Stern booth - it was SO freakin' loud back by concessions that an entire row of games in front of the speakers were unplayable.

Music from the Stern booth was fine IMO, but to be fair I wasn't spending a ton of time in the Stern booth compared to the rest of the show floor.

#370 1 year ago

We had an more than great stay at Expo'22.
    Rob Berk and fam, thnx for the invite.
    Our Dutch Invasion will be remembered i think, Magic Girl was burning hot on the floor.

We will be back next year, and if you come to Europe listen to Steve Ritchie's kind words....

#371 1 year ago
    Quoted from frobozz:

I actually met the (I hope I get this right) great-grand-nephew and great grand-niece of RG Letourneau in that line - made my year! I'm kind of a (maybe the only? Certainly the most well-read) fan of ol' RG, when I'm not accidentally being a pinball historian.
    I did not get to spend as much time at Expo as usual this year, but I agree with the sentiments that it was a vast improvement over the somewhat depressing show last year. Rob did a better job of hiding the fact that the vast majority of old games were still his this year - by spreading them out and arranging them in various different ways, by bringing even more of them, and most importantly by making sure the damn things more or less worked this time. Still not perfect, but so much better. It was more things like "Mata Hari's saucer always puts the ball SDTM" rather than "these 6 games in a row won't even power on."
    After last year I wasn't feeling motivated to bring some of my own games to help improve things; after this year, I could see it in coming years.[quoted image]

A little bit of extra torque thanks to the Hub-Reduction gearing right there.

#372 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

A little bit of extra torque thanks to the Hub-Reduction gearing right there.

His big claim to fame was using a diesel engine to power a generator, then driving each wheel of his massive earthmoving machinery directly with an electric motor. Like, decades before Elon Musk was even born.

#373 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mope161616:

I like to hear the pinball games. I dont't mind the DJ, but do we really need it all freaking day? maybe for an hour at a time.

I didn't attend this years' Expo but will add my opinion: DJs and/or live music at a pinball show is a stupid idea unless its for a special occasion and corralled somewhere it won't bother attendees who are there to play games and chat.

#374 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I can't tell you how nice it is to see pics of that game and feel happy about it finally.

Alien has always been a unique and enjoyable game. I like your PF art. It’s certainly not your fault that the original manufacturer was a bust.

It’s nice to see it made.

#375 1 year ago
    Quoted from Peer:

We had an more than great stay at Expo'22.
    Rob Berk and fam, thnx for the invite.
    Our Dutch Invasion will be remembered i think, Magic Girl was burning hot on the floor.
    We will be back next year, and if you come to Europe listen to Steve Ritchie's kind words....

Glad to see you all had a great time. Kinda jealous now. But i will get there one day.

#376 1 year ago
    Quoted from mjhale:

The museum endeavor in Girard, Ohio is indeed underway. Check Past Times Arcade on Facebook for updates. This will actually benefit Expo this year. We are planning to bring 100+ games which will be 100% before they are broken down and hauled 6 1/2 hours to Chicago. Inevitably, issues will arise in the transition but we are better prepared this year on the front end due to having more time, more staff helping at the museum, and more techs on hand when we arrive. On that note, if anyone would be interested in volunteering to help setup, repair, and/or tear down, send me a direct message and I can inquire about compensating you with a free registration depending on your availability to help us out. Having the "Bumper Blast" at Enterrium on Wednesday, as opposed to opening the main floor that evening, will also allow for more time to setup and test games before everything opens at noon on Thursday.
    This year, the vendor area and the freeplay area will be a shared space with games being in pods of 20 spaced around the vendor booths. If you are curious of which games we are planning to bring along, here is the working list that we will be updating over the next month. We will not be bringing new titles as we would like for the vendors to choose these games without interfering in any way with their showcase. However, if you are a fan of electromechanical pins, we currently have a pretty solid working list.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10vNYmhG-qsGqpgNuXAhZS_PF_GfzxyKxdVTnQMud65Q/edit?usp=sharing

Huge shoutout to you and your crew mjhale for an amazing job with Berk's games. You promised a better lineup and you for sure delivered. Rare titles, good titles, and most importantly....working titles. What was the name of the foreign robot themed game that was in the middle? My wife submitted a game issue (broken rubber on the playfield) via the QR code on the Berk games and one of your staff came and fixed it literally within two minutes. That's pretty awesome. Hopefully, other shows will follow your lead on this. I heard from another attendee that you guys brought near 120 pins. What a feat to keep them all running to make for a great show. Best year of free play options for sure.

I agree with all of the posts that this year was extremely well done. Layout and flow were great. Thank you for killing some of the lighting this year as well. One critique/recommendation: As others said, the music was quite loud in the areas from where they were being played. I found myself over in Stern on the first evening and over in free play on Saturday to get away from it. I'm not opposed to music but more for an ambiance. I attend to play pins and hearing "callouts" is part of that experience. If you are going to continue with music maybe consider playing it from the center as opposed to cranking it across such a huge space?

P.S. Any way that I can order a small "Flippy"? We showed up Friday and you guys were already sold out.

Berk, Dave, and the Expo Staff job well done this year. Cheers! Looking forward to next year.

#377 1 year ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

Alien has always been a unique and enjoyable game. I like your PF art. It’s certainly not your fault that the original manufacturer was a bust.
    It’s nice to see it made.

Thanks. The PB version of the LE cab is the way I wanted the game to be seen, I'm just glad I got to close out the chapter by coming back to wrap that up.

#378 1 year ago

We've been doing the text approach to game repairs at the Ann Arbor VFW pinball show for *years*. cards are handed out when you check in, just text the name of the game (or a picture) to the number on the card, and we fix it immediately. With 500+ working/restored pin games at our show, we find it's the *only* way to efficiently handle game repairs.

The downside though to this approach is if people don't actually text us with a problem game. this dramatically slows down the repairs, as we have to use the THREE BIG SENSES to find broken games (listen, look, smell.) That works too, but it's SO much better if people would just text the repair number with any issues... things get done quicker and better.

This year we started with 505 working games and only *one* was down without repair (gameplan sharpshooter, freaking mpu board!) So the show started with 505 working games, and sunday at 5pm (show close), we had 504 working games. How about that for a bench mark??

for example our Alien game kept getting the ball stuck... no one said anything! but one of the orange shirt vfw people noticed, and we fixed the issue...

#379 1 year ago
    Quoted from cfh:

We've been doing the text approach to game repairs at the Ann Arbor VFW pinball show for *years*. cards are handed out when you check in, just text the game of the game (or a picture) to the number on the card, and we fix it immediately. With 500+ working/restored pin games at our show, we find it's the *only* way to efficiently handle game repairs.
    The downside though to this approach is if people don't actually text us with a problem game. this dramatically slows down the repairs, as we have to use the THREE BIG SENSES to find broken games (listen, look, smell.) That works too, but it's SO much better if people would just text the repair number with any issues... things get done quicker and better
    for example our Alien game kept getting the ball stuck... no one said anything! but one of the orange shirt vfw people noticed, and we fixed the issue...

did this at expo in 2019 when rob anthony ran the free play room, it worked great.

#380 1 year ago
    Quoted from alexg57:

Huge shoutout to you and your crew mjhale for an amazing job with Berk's games. You promised a better lineup and you for sure delivered. Rare titles, good titles, and most importantly....working titles. What was the name of the foreign robot themed game that was in the middle? My wife submitted a game issue (broken rubber on the playfield) via the QR code on the Berk games and one of your staff came and fixed it literally within two minutes. That's pretty awesome. Hopefully, other shows will follow your lead on this. I heard from another attendee that you guys brought near 120 pins. What a feat to keep them all running to make for a great show. Best year of free play options for sure.
    I agree with all of the posts that this year was extremely well done. Layout and flow were great. Thank you for killing some of the lighting this year as well. One critique/recommendation: As others said, the music was quite loud in the areas from where they were being played. I found myself over in Stern on the first evening and over in free play on Saturday to get away from it. I'm not opposed to music but more for an ambiance. I attend to play pins and hearing "callouts" is part of that experience. If you are going to continue with music maybe consider playing it from the center as opposed to cranking it across such a huge space?
    P.S. Any way that I can order a small "Flippy"? We showed up Friday and you guys were already sold out.
    Berk, Dave, and the Expo Staff job well done this year. Cheers! Looking forward to next year.

Thank you very much for the feedback. As cfh mentioned, having people notify us helped tremendously. The game to which you are referring is a Sonic Gamatron. Brigitt Berk informed us that more "Flippies" have been ordered. I'd recommend sending a message to the Expo Page on Facebook to be put into an ordering queue.

#381 1 year ago
    Quoted from frobozz:

His big claim to fame was using a diesel engine to power a generator, then driving each wheel of his massive earthmoving machinery directly with an electric motor. Like, decades before Elon Musk was even born.

Don't let the Muskrats hear that, they will jump all over and debunk all of it.

#382 1 year ago
    Quoted from cfh:

We've been doing the text approach to game repairs at the Ann Arbor VFW pinball show for *years*. cards are handed out when you check in, just text the game of the game (or a picture) to the number on the card, and we fix it immediately. With 500+ working/restored pin games at our show, we find it's the *only* way to efficiently handle game repairs.
    The downside though to this approach is if people don't actually text us with a problem game. this dramatically slows down the repairs, as we have to use the THREE BIG SENSES to find broken games (listen, look, smell.) That works too, but it's SO much better if people would just text the repair number with any issues... things get done quicker and better.
    This year we started with 505 working games and only *one* was down without repair (gameplan sharpshooter, freaking mpu board!) So the show started with 505 working games, and sunday at 5pm (show close), we had 504 working games. How about that for a bench mark??

Let me add to this by commenting on the fact that, even though VFW has numerous buildings and is very spread out, there were so many folks in orange shirts available in each location that I was always able to quickly find an orange shirt nearby whenever I encountered minor issues while playing a machine (e.g., stuck balls, game out of credits). I was always able to get immediate help because an orange shirt was always nearby and I could always find someone to immediately resolve the issue. I was extremely impressed with this aspect of the support while attending the VFW show.

#383 1 year ago
    Quoted from mjhale:

Thank you very much for the feedback. As cfh mentioned, having people notify us helped tremendously. The game to which you are referring is a Sonic Gamatron. Brigitt Berk informed us that more "Flippies" have been ordered. I'd recommend sending a message to the Expo Page on Facebook to be put into an ordering queue.

We almost brought our pinstar Gamatron, no room though

PXL_20220529_014749835 (resized).jpgPXL_20220529_014749835 (resized).jpg
    #384 1 year ago

For anyone that didn't see it yet,. Saturday night at expo after 10 pm Brian Allen had thousands of dollars of translites & LE acrylic backglasses and banners stolen from his booth and a few other vendors,. Many many of you took hundreds of pics and videos... Look through them and see if you find anyone carrying things after 10pm Saturday

#385 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mitoska:

For anyone that didn't see it yet,. Saturday night at expo after 10 pm Brian Allen had thousands of dollars of translites & LE acrylic backglasses and banners stolen from his booth and a few other vendors,. Many many of you took hundreds of pics and videos... Look through them and see if you find anyone carrying things after 10pm Saturday

That sucks huge.

I hope the items are recovered.

LTG : (

#386 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mitoska:

That is freaking horrible. Total idiots to screw someone like that!!

#387 1 year ago

I’m sure somebody saw something.

I can tell you that I was working in a booth this year, and Saturday night when we were taking some of our Merch out to our van, the so-called security guard at the center dock door was more concerned with his phone then who and what was going in and out of the door…

#388 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mjesposi:

Total idiots to screw someone like that!!

Could screw the show too if vendors are afraid of theft of their wares.

LTG : (

#389 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mitoska:

Holy crap that SUCKS...

why do people have to suck...

#390 1 year ago

A copy of a post..I don’t have a picture of his clown….

#391 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mitoska:

Wonder if the hotel security cameras caught anything that might help?

#392 1 year ago
    Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

[quoted image]

Brian...I was filming live at ten and later...its an hour and ten minutes...maybe you can see something on this video in the background! Todd

#393 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mitoska:

Brian...I was filming live after 10pm for 70 minutes...maybe you can spot something in the background. Todd

#394 1 year ago
    Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

[quoted image]

If the thieves are from the area, they’ll turn up around here eventually. What era of BGs and translites? I’ll keep an ear to the ground.

#395 1 year ago

Thanks to all! The expo team really brought it this year!

Thanks to all who stopped by the suite and played some pinball and drank with us. Sorry I had to leave for Denver show sat morning!

#396 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

Thanks to all! The expo team really brought it this year!
    Thanks to all who stopped by the suite and played some pinball and drank with us. Sorry I had to leave for Denver show sat morning!

Thanks for sorting out the suite and for the lanyard, very handy

#397 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mitoska:

Oh man, i am so sorry to hear this. I will certainly check all my pics and ask my friends to check their videos to. People were packing up on the Saturday night around that time i think as i stopped by the mg game around 11.30pm to check all was still ok, so maybe it should be said nobody packs up til sunday morning..

#398 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mitoska:

I had items stolen as well. 3 items were for the autism charity auction:

-Hot wheels banner that was signed by Joe Balcer and Josh Kuglar. Was in a 4ft usps tube

-black stern L tshirt in plastic

-speaker light kit for spike 2 in plastic

Also my personal gray and red LoserKid hat and costa sunglasses

Items were stolen around 11:30pm-12:00am Saturday night during the booth tear down

#399 1 year ago
    Quoted from Coz:

I had items stolen as well. 3 items were for the autism charity auction:
    -Hot wheels banner that was signed by Joe Balcer and Josh Kuglar. Was in a 4ft usps tube
    -black stern L tshirt in plastic
    -speaker light kit for spike 2 in plastic
    Also my personal gray and red LoserKid hat and costa sunglasses
    Items were stolen around 11:30pm-12:00am Saturday night during the booth tear down

Sorry to hear about your loss Coz, and Brian A's too.

Maybe a cheap Wyze camera (or more) might be prudent to keep an eye on things late evening/overnight. Probably won't stop a thief, but might be at least able to ID the perp.

Is there security in the late evening?

#400 1 year ago

Should have JJP games have an “exhibit mode” where you can hook up an external hard drive inside and runs the camera constantly and provides backup.

There are 468 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chicago-pinball-expo-2022/page/8?hl=cybevenom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.