Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 468 posts
  • 158 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Randy_G
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20221022_145017 (resized).jpg
    Expo 22 booth sm (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1666456596750 (resized).jpg
    unnamed (1)ab (resized).jpg
    unnamed (1)a (resized).jpg
    unnamed (1)asd (resized).jpg
    unnamed (8)a (resized).jpg
    expo 14 (resized).png
    rocky-horror-dancing-rocky.gif
    PXL_20220529_014749835 (resized).jpg
    3717FBCE-A574-4E6B-90DC-C9A669A5D55E (resized).jpeg
    6D160B54-71BE-4D37-88D3-07A719C29B56 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4464 (resized).JPG
    rgl (resized).jpg
    20221022_155904 (resized).jpg
    5EC12C00-2B66-4EDA-8F83-0510059A2638 (resized).jpeg
    There are 468 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.
    #1 2 years ago

I noticed that Expo quietly posted their dates for 2022: October 19-22. Unfortunately a family trip took precedent for me since the dates weren't available during the 2021 show, and there really doesn't seem to be any pattern to the dates. Luckily I should be able to make it for Thursday night.

The website is dreadful and times out on me, so I'll post a screenshot of some of the pertinent info here. Everything else looks to be stale info from 2021.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    5 months later
    #2 1 year ago

Surprising that we're not that far away and no one is talking about Expo yet.

I'm just happy to be going. 1st time for me!!

#3 1 year ago

I actually booked a couple extra days this year. Still only hitting the show for 2 days but do a little relaxing and sightseeing this year. Looking forward to that more than the show. Last year was sad.

#4 1 year ago

Noticed it says hotel reservations must be made by October 11, 2021 for the group rate. Now, that's really planning ahead!

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

Noticed it says hotel reservations must be made by October 11, 2021 for the group rate. Now, that's really planning ahead!

Yeah, most of the website is all stuff from last year. About the only thing that works is buying tickets. I'm looking forward to the Stern factory tour

Since this is my 1st show...... what is the established way of buying a game at a show? I can't imagine hauling around that much cash, and at the same time, if I was a seller there's no way I'm taking a check from someone I don't know. How does that work?

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinStalker:

I can't imagine hauling around that much cash,

Just gotta get used to it. Practice makes perfect.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinStalker:

Yeah, most of the website is all stuff from last year. About the only thing that works is buying tickets. I'm looking forward to the Stern factory tour
    Since this is my 1st show...... what is the established way of buying a game at a show? I can't imagine hauling around that much cash, and at the same time, if I was a seller there's no way I'm taking a check from someone I don't know. How does that work?

If you want to be sure you can buy something, haul around that much cash. If you want to take a chance, bring your checkbook and Venmo/Paypal app and hope the seller likes the look of your face and doesn't have another buyer who hauled around that much cash.

#8 1 year ago

Let's hope this show doesn't suffer anymore than it did last year with all the nonworking games on the floor, and overseen creature comforts. Considering his current endeavor is now starting a museum, I can only imagine that this years show will have less games on the floor.

#9 1 year ago

Does this location have more "ballroom" style rooms like the old venue? Having carpeted rooms with dim lights is pretty important in my opinion, last year it was obviously all cement (except for stern's area) and super bright industrial/gym lighting.

#10 1 year ago

Same location as last year unfortunately, unless the website is wrong.

#11 1 year ago

I'm mostly annoyed they can't settle on a consistent date. I try my best to plan around expo, but that's tough to do when the dates have floated and it's not announced until months after the previous show ends. This year I'll only be able to attend Thursday as a result.

#12 1 year ago

I have a room at the venue hotel, thurs Fri Sat, looking to share with somebody. Also traveling Dallas to Chicago. Can haul games.

Ken

1 week later
    #13 1 year ago

And... I need a game transported from eastern NY to Expo if anybody is making the drive...

#14 1 year ago

Tilt will be providing the games for the tournament like always. and we are going to have a lot of games for the tournament.

Game QTY
    Avengers Pro 2
    Avengers Prem 2
    Deadpool Pro 2
    Deadpool Prem 2
    Mando Pro 2
    Mando Prem 2
    Rush Pro 2
    Rush Prem 2
    Jurassic Park Pro 2
    Jurassic Park Prem 2
    Godzilla Pro 2
    Godzilla Prem 2
    Star Wars Pro 2
    Star Wars Prem 2
    Guardians Pro 2
    Led Zeppelin Pro 2
    Led Zeppelin Premium2
    New Game Pro 2
    New Game Prem 2

Total 38 games.

I will be making post later about the games, but these games are going to be for sale and available for pickup when the tournament is over. Many of these games are already in my possesion just waiting to make the trip back to chicago.

#15 1 year ago

Thanks Troy! Will be cool someday when Insider Connected can automatically run a tourney full of Stern games. I know they have leaderboards, but that's not quite full tourney scoring/management... yet.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Thanks Troy! Will be cool someday when Insider Connected can automatically run a tourney full of Stern games. I know they have leaderboards, but that's not quite full tourney scoring/management... yet.

Yancy, who knows what all leaderboard will do in the future, but that would be cool. I am setting up leaderboard in the tournament area for those games. Ive invested a lot into getting everything i need to run ethernet to all 38 machines, hubs to handle it, monitor, etc. gonna take me quite a bit to set up for this tournament, you coming to help!!

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

I am setting up leaderboard in the tournament area for those games.

Sweet, maybe they'll at least use that to avoid manual/human score entry. Removes one tedious step. Tourney folks could look at the leaderboard online and award qualifying points based on that.

Quoted from Tilt:

gonna take me quite a bit to set up for this tournament, you coming to help!!

I suck at running cables, but Vince "TheKorn" is your man!

#18 1 year ago

Here are my games for Expo, Abra CaDabra (restored, for sale) and a custom/rethemed EM game called "Wizard"

Is there any game judging at the show?

Ken

20220710_100511_resized (resized).jpg20220710_100511_resized (resized).jpg
    #19 1 year ago

What games will you all have in tow, for sale etc...?

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

New Game Pro 2
    New Game Prem 2

What is this new game you speak of?

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

Some of the days are already sold out - i guess there were only about 17 rooms for Tuesday, i ended up paying about $225 instead of the Expo rate $155.

#22 1 year ago

I look forward to seeing everyone at the show, so definitely stop by our booth! And let me thank everyone who has donated items for this year's charity auction. It has been a great success the past two Expos due to the wonderful community contributions and bidders! If anyone has anything they'd like to donate, PM me. There will be plenty of cool products and mods as well as other fun stuff like the signed small movie posters we had last year.

Brad
    Project Pinball

1 week later
    #23 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Some of the days are already sold out - i guess there were only about 17 rooms for Tuesday, i ended up paying about $225 instead of the Expo rate $155.

You should call the hotel, sometimes they add more rooms to the block as time gets closer and they should discount your rate.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

You should call the hotel, sometimes they add more rooms to the block as time gets closer and they should discount your rate.

Call during business hours too. So you actually talk to the hotel not an after hours agent.

LTG : )

#25 1 year ago

I'll finally be there this year and giving a fun talk...

"So, you (still) want to open a pinball business?"

Join Nic Schell with a serious-but-fun talk about lessons learned in the entertainment business on the road and after five years at Roanoke Pinball Museum.

#26 1 year ago

Not sure if anyone reading this thread can answer, but here goes. With the Bumper Blast moved offsite to Enterrium this year, what's the plan for Wednesday night? Can game bringers stay, socialize and play whatever shows up until load-in hours end? Or will they be shown the door after setting up?

For me the best part of Wednesday night is playing whatever rolls in before the crowds either break or buy it. No real interest in heading offsite to eat & socialize away from game setup. I mean, who else is going to level everything if I'm not there?

Related topic, there's a separate pre-Expo tourney at Enterrium that night, so most of the games will be off-limits to Bumper Blast attendees. Less than ideal scheduling. I hope all the Expo lifers don't roll in expecting to like, actually play all the machines at Bumper Blast.

#27 1 year ago

Got my room a month ago, but yeah, like someone else said, rooms ALWAYS open up. Don't think Tues has ever been part of Expo rate though.
    LOOKOUT FUCKERS!

#28 1 year ago

This will "probably " be the new permanent dates now. Rob Berk will know.
    Glad it's NOT on Halloween this year.

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If you want to be sure you can buy something, haul around that much cash. If you want to take a chance, bring your checkbook and Venmo/Paypal app and hope the seller likes the look of your face and doesn't have another buyer who hauled around that much cash.

My dude. You gonna make this year?

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Not sure if anyone reading this thread can answer, but here goes. With the Bumper Blast moved offsite to Enterrium this year, what's the plan for Wednesday night? Can game bringers stay, socialize and play whatever shows up until load-in hours end? Or will they be shown the door after setting up?
    For me the best part of Wednesday night is playing whatever rolls in before the crowds either break or buy it. No real interest in heading offsite to eat & socialize away from game setup. I mean, who else is going to level everything if I'm not there?
    Related topic, there's a separate pre-Expo tourney at Enterrium that night, so most of the games will be off-limits to Bumper Blast attendees. Less than ideal scheduling. I hope all the Expo lifers don't roll in expecting to like, actually play all the machines at Bumper Blast.

It was pretty loose last year... would expect lots of socializing

#31 1 year ago

This will be my first year at expo. I’m getting super excited and looking forward to hopefully putting a face to all these pinside handles!

#32 1 year ago

Anyone know if pinball life will be having an open house this year?

#33 1 year ago

Definitely screwed up dates. The Tournament also still shows as running Thursday to Sunday, while the Show dates are Wednesday to Saturday. No posting on the IFPA site yet as to the real schedule. Hard to book flights when you don't know when things will start and end.

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from alienagent:

Anyone know if pinball life will be having an open house this year?

Those days are gone. PBL is packed & bustling, no space for it.

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Those days are gone. PBL is packed & bustling, no space for it.

Understatement of the week

1 week later
    #36 1 year ago

Anyone see that the in-person Stern tour is off and instead a JJP tour is on?

Virtual Stern tour on Friday (no charge), and a JJP tour in-person is now on Thursday.

Looks like Stern doesn't want people in the factory. Hmmmmm, I wonder why?

I'd have preferred the Stern tour in person, but it'll still be fun.

#37 1 year ago

Anyone know if they will open up more rooms at the host hotel?

#38 1 year ago

Is the expo worth it to go for those that have went? Considering going but haven’t seen a schedule of events. The website has last years.

I haven’t been before.

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Got my room a month ago, but yeah, like someone else said, rooms ALWAYS open up. Don't think Tues has ever been part of Expo rate though.
    LOOKOUT FUCKERS!

Yeah, Tuesday had 17 rooms available initially at the expo rate, I hesitated a couple weeks to finalize plans and it was sold out when I did book.

I'll call back and see if they added more.

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinman2005:

Is the expo worth it to go for those that have went? Considering going but haven’t seen a schedule of events. The website has last years.
    I haven’t been before.

The fact that you've never been could be a plus, since it's a shadow of what it once was. Last year was one of the worst - most of the games in the free play area were Berks broken collection, and the move to a new venue goes from a carpeted, homier feel to the concrete floor warehouse feel that the MGC show now has, too. The hotel itself is nice, though.

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

The fact that you've never been could be a plus, since it's a shadow of what it once was. Last year was one of the worst - most of the games in the free play area were Berks broken collection, and the move to a new venue goes from a carpeted, homier feel to the concrete floor warehouse feel that the MGC show now has, too. The hotel itself is nice, though.

Couldn’t agree more.

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinStalker:

Anyone see that the in-person Stern tour is off and instead a JJP tour is on?
    Virtual Stern tour on Friday (no charge), and a JJP tour in-person is now on Thursday.
    Looks like Stern doesn't want people in the factory. Hmmmmm, I wonder why?
    I'd have preferred the Stern tour in person, but it'll still be fun.

I was setup to do the Stern tour as well. I am definitely bummed it got switched to JJP. Better than nothing but a bummer none the less.

I had a weird feeling they would cancel it when I booked and the first line was pending COVID cases. I get the COVID thing, but it almost felt like laying the ground work for a quick back peddle.

#43 1 year ago

It says "new for 2022 no charge for seminars" is this true?

#44 1 year ago
    Screenshot_20220828-140818_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220828-140818_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    #45 1 year ago
    Quoted from cavalier88z24:

It says "new for 2022 no charge for seminars" is this true?

Yes, true.

I'd have liked reserved seating for advanced ticket holders, but that's how it goes.
    This is my 1st Expo, really looking forward to it. Even though people are saying it's not what it used to be..... I'm really excited to visit. I'm going to try TPF next year and see which is better. At least there's plenty of stuff to do in Chicago so if it gets boring, can zip out and do something else for awhile. I'm going to Six Flags during this trip for sure..... and sample a lot of pizza. HA!!

I'd be really curious if someone could give a little history about Expo and why it declined over time.

For those who aren't familiar with Chicago (like me)..... any recommendations of things to do/see/eat in the area?
    I had on my list: Six Flags, Galloping Ghost, a Chicago tour, a whole bunch of pizza joints, try a Chicago Beef, try a Chicago dog, and Cheeseburger Cheeseburger Cheeseburger for sure..... not sure what else. There's a zoo........

#46 1 year ago

Seminars were always free for some of us
    Just joshin ya I don't go to seminars.

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinStalker:

Yes, true.
    I'd have liked reserved seating for advanced ticket holders, but that's how it goes.
    This is my 1st Expo, really looking forward to it. Even though people are saying it's not what it used to be..... I'm really excited to visit. I'm going to try TPF next year and see which is better. At least there's plenty of stuff to do in Chicago so if it gets boring, can zip out and do something else for awhile. I'm going to Six Flags during this trip for sure..... and sample a lot of pizza. HA!!
    I'd be really curious if someone could give a little history about Expo and why it declined over time.
    For those who aren't familiar with Chicago (like me)..... any recommendations of things to do/see/eat in the area?
    I had on my list: Six Flags, Galloping Ghost, a Chicago tour, a whole bunch of pizza joints, try a Chicago Beef, try a Chicago dog, and Cheeseburger Cheeseburger Cheeseburger for sure..... not sure what else. There's a zoo........

for pizza...
    Lou Malnati's or you want to get very local...Pequods in Morton Grove

I just tried Iron Age Korean BBQ in Glenview...its was great!

Big Ange's Eatery is great BBQ and it's near the expo...

Good food in Chicago for sure!

#48 1 year ago

Deep dish:
    Lou Malnati's
    Burt's Place
    Pequod's

Thin crust tavern style:
    Marie's
    Vito and Nick's

#49 1 year ago

FIRE UP THE CHAINSAW

FB_IMG_1661733536474 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1661733536474 (resized).jpg
    #50 1 year ago

I've been going to EXPO since 1990 or so, and it looks like I'll be able to attend Saturday this year. Always had a great time and looking forward to it.

I learned the best way to do Downtown is to Park & Ride the Blue Line from Rosemont to the Clark/Lake Station. It's under $10 and gets you into the heart of Downtown Chicago. Navy Pier, the Billy Goat, Boat tours, Hancock building etc. are all walking distance.

There are 468 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chicago-pinball-expo-2022 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.