20151017_150026.jpg
20151017_123144.jpg
20151017_120923.jpg
20151016_200753.jpg
20151016_142336.jpg
20151016_140944.jpg
2015-10-16_18.52.13.jpg
20151015_114234.jpg
There are 209 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 8 years ago

Anyone here have a list of the games at expo?
I want to update my ratings.
Thanks!

#152 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

when is TPF? I am told the hotel is already sold out?

Come to SFGE instead.

#153 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Come to SFGE instead.

inlaws live in dallas and it is due time to go visit them. Free place to stay helps and I can get out of the house and pinball which adds to the value fo the trip (wife is likely reading this so worth mention that I love the inlaws but pinballing sure will make the trip more fun )

#154 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Maybe you were told that so you don't go. Del Boca vista style

#155 8 years ago
Quoted from charliebrown2417:

I want to update my ratings.
Thanks!

You can't remember what you played but you are going to rate them?

#156 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Maybe you were told that so you don't go. Del Boca vista style

all the basic options are sold out. seems many of the upgraded rooms are available. inlaws appear to live about 30min away which is nice. maybe this will be the year to finally check out TPF?

#157 8 years ago

This was my first expo and I've got to admit - I was expecting more. I would say that the Midwest Gaming Classic in April outside of MKE had way way way more pinball to free play. The highlight for me was playing the MM Remake with the new cool color displays. Good seeing Whysnow - even for a few seconds . Play on!

#158 8 years ago
Quoted from charliebrown2417:

Per Mike Pacak:

4 Square, Aaron Spelling, AC/DC, Addams Family, Airport, Aladin's Castle, Attack from Mars, Bad Cats,Ball Park, Batman Forever, Big Daddy, Big Guns, Big House, Big Lebowski, Blast Off, Bow and Arrow, Buffy Vampire Slayer, Capt Fantastic, Card Wiz, Catacomb, Congo, Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Data East Star Trek, Derby Day, Dirty Harry, Disco Fever, Dr. Who, Dragon, Eight Ball Deluxe, El Dorado, Alvin G Football, F-14 Tomcat, Fast Draw, Fireball EM, Fireball II, Flash, Flight 2000, Flintstones, Full Throttle, Galaxy, Game of Thrones, Goin' Nuts, Gold Wings, Gorgar, Guns and Roses, Hercules, Hobbit, Hurricane, Indiana Jones, Johnny Mneumonic, Jolly Park Joust, Judge Dredd, Stern Kiss, Kugler Family Pinball, Le King, Lethal Weapon, Lexy Lightspeed - Escape from Earth, Lightning, Lost World, Machine Bride of Pinbot, Metallica, Miss World, Monte Carlo, Mr & Mrs Pac Man, Mustang, Nitro Ground Shaker, No Fear, Olympic Hockey, Operation Thunder, Orbiter 1, Outer Space, Party Zone, Pinbot, Popeye, Pythons Pinball Circus, Qbert, Ripley's Believe It or Not, Roller Coaster, Roller Coaster Tycoon, Safe Cracker, Scared Stiff, Shadow, Simpsons Pinball Party, Sinbad, Slug Fest, Solitaire, South Park, Space Station, Speak Easy, Star Light, Star Trek Star Trek - Mirror Universe, Star Trek Next Generation, Strange Science, Strikes & Spares, Game of Thrones Pro, Terminator, Totem, Transformers, Varcon, Vegas, Vern's World, Walking Dead, Warlock, Water World, Whirlwind, Whoa Nellie, Wizard of Oz, World Cup Soccer, World Poker Tour, Wrath Olympus, Wrestle Mania, Xmen.

#159 8 years ago

atleast 10 of those not working or not available for play which should be removed formt he list

#160 8 years ago

What was the deal with the Demo Man in the Homebrew section? It looked like the movie was playing on the DMD but none of the rest of the game was powered on.

#161 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

What was the deal with the Demo Man in the Homebrew section? It looked like the movie was playing on the DMD but none of the rest of the game was powered on.

That was being used as a test for the full RGB LED DMD. If you noticed the movie was playing in color. Those were LED dots, not an LCD.

#162 8 years ago
Quoted from Dexter:

The highlight for me was playing the MM Remake with the new cool color displays.

Damn. I completely forgot about those and never even got over there to place them. I guess there's a downside to being such a social butterfly ...

#163 8 years ago

The highlight of Expo for me was all the super cool people. So good to meet and hang out with all of you. Burningman, Snurdley, Gryszzz and I hung together most of the weekend. Thanks to everyone that brought games, too. Some really cool stuff! Great to see rotordave, highdef, Aurich, NimblePin, fattrain, TecumsehPlissken, Pinfatale, Pdxmonkey, tamoore, Pugsley, Hwawonyu, pinaholic, LTG, vidgameseller, Mr68, trilogybeer, TheNoTrashCougar, AceJedi, metallik, and anyone else I failed to mention. Sad I did not get to meet Centerflank or Whysnow. Guess it'll have to be MGC or somewhere else to get those guys. Fantastic party Thursday for Heighway, as well as the incredible PBL party. Terry and the gang really did it up for us! A word to the wise: DON'T EVER ROOM WITH GRYSZZZ!!! Next time I'm bringing a shock collar for that unruly dog. Again, great time, great people! Cheers pinball brothers and sisters!
// Error: Image 466078 not found //
// Error: Image 466079 not found //
// Error: Image 466080 not found //
20151016_140944.jpg20151016_140944.jpg
20151016_142336.jpg20151016_142336.jpg
20151016_200753.jpg20151016_200753.jpg
20151017_120923.jpg20151017_120923.jpg
20151017_123144.jpg20151017_123144.jpg
20151017_150026.jpg20151017_150026.jpg
20151018_010211.jpg20151018_010211.jpg
20151018_024737.jpg20151018_024737.jpg

#164 8 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Per Mike Pacak:
4 Square, Aaron Spelling, AC/DC, Addams Family, Airport, Aladin's Castle, Attack from Mars, Bad Cats,Ball Park, Batman Forever, Big Daddy, Big Guns, Big House, Big Lebowski, Blast Off, Bow and Arrow, Buffy Vampire Slayer, Capt Fantastic, Card Wiz, Catacomb, Congo, Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Data East Star Trek, Derby Day, Dirty Harry, Disco Fever, Dr. Who, Dragon, Eight Ball Deluxe, El Dorado, Alvin G Football, F-14 Tomcat, Fast Draw, Fireball EM, Fireball II, Flash, Flight 2000, Flintstones, Full Throttle, Galaxy, Game of Thrones, Goin' Nuts, Gold Wings, Gorgar, Guns and Roses, Hercules, Hobbit, Hurricane, Indiana Jones, Johnny Mneumonic, Jolly Park Joust, Judge Dredd, Stern Kiss, Kugler Family Pinball, Le King, Lethal Weapon, Lexy Lightspeed - Escape from Earth, Lightning, Lost World, Machine Bride of Pinbot, Metallica, Miss World, Monte Carlo, Mr & Mrs Pac Man, Mustang, Nitro Ground Shaker, No Fear, Olympic Hockey, Operation Thunder, Orbiter 1, Outer Space, Party Zone, Pinbot, Popeye, Pythons Pinball Circus, Qbert, Ripley's Believe It or Not, Roller Coaster, Roller Coaster Tycoon, Safe Cracker, Scared Stiff, Shadow, Simpsons Pinball Party, Sinbad, Slug Fest, Solitaire, South Park, Space Station, Speak Easy, Star Light, Star Trek Star Trek - Mirror Universe, Star Trek Next Generation, Strange Science, Strikes & Spares, Game of Thrones Pro, Terminator, Totem, Transformers, Varcon, Vegas, Vern's World, Walking Dead, Warlock, Water World, Whirlwind, Whoa Nellie, Wizard of Oz, World Cup Soccer, World Poker Tour, Wrath Olympus, Wrestle Mania, Xmen.

You are best bae

#165 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

maybe this will be the year to finally check out TPF?

TPF is March 18th-20th, although based on the last couple years there's bound to be something or other going on on the 17th.

There was a post on the TPF facebook recently that there are a half-dozen or so rooms left at the hotel and they are working on getting show rates at other hotels in the area. It's a conference center complex and there are five or more other hotels within a block or two of the convention hall. I recommend the Aloft.

It was a massive show last year, definitely player and collector focused. Tons of games and tons of people, the only reason the lines weren't bad was because there were so many friggin games.

#166 8 years ago
Quoted from Law:

TPF is March 18th-20th, although based on the last couple years there's bound to be something or other going on on the 17th.

what are the prime days to go to TPF?

#167 8 years ago

All. Days.
Unlike Expo; the freeplay machines are required to be there until end of show on Sunday. I think that's 2pm.

#168 8 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Per Mike Pacak:

Meteor and Silver Ball Mania showed up Friday night.

#169 8 years ago

Who dunnit showed up Friday morning

#170 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

March 18th -20th. If we weren't leaving for a big ole family vacation on the 24th, we'd have been flying down for our 3rd TPF.

https://aws.passkey.com/event/13845488/owner/62091/landing <- reservations

#171 8 years ago
Quoted from Elix72:

March 18th -20th.

looks like it will need to be a decision between TPF and PAPA19 on April 7-10th

Also have MGC on April 8-10th which likely wins out over PAPA19 for me. That makes TPF seem like it is doable this year...
Any VIP or special packages to look into for TPF?

#172 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Any VIP or special packages to look into for TPF?

Nope. One ticket gets you all access. I don't think they intend to change that.

#173 8 years ago

So glad I booked our room in June already. TPF is the best, even my teenager (17) son wants to spend the weekend with me there

#174 8 years ago

Y'all need to come down South for Freeplay Florida one year .. or this year its a good show & lots of games! plus if any of you have family its in the Seaworld hotel area & all near I drive , Islands of adventure etc... etc.......

#175 8 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

Y'all need to come down South for Freeplay Florida one year .. or this year its a good show

We can't go to TPF due to a vacation days later. Coincidently, We're leaving for our anniversary trip days after Freeplay Florida. Perhaps 2016 will be a Florida pinball travel year.

#176 8 years ago

Expo was nice. Not as many games as last year, but mainly because last year, one person brought 40. Otherwise the free play area would have been just as sparse.

Got to talk to a lot of people from here, that I never met in person before.

Got to play Zitts Mirror universe, which was awesome. Love the nixies.
Got to play Nightmare before xmas. Those very early. Love the layout design.
Rules for TBL have dramatically become more advanced. Seems 10X's more is there than the last times i've played it.
GOT played smooth. We played the shit out of it. Rules seem more like a video game. Love that aspect of it. Art package is still shitty. Those big shield inserts look like ass. The whole game looks cheap. Like the econo (IM, RS, BBH) years. But gameplay was smooth. Still like Kiss better.
P3 kicks ass like always.
Pinball circus is coming along fantastic.

Bought 2 games at the show. normally I don't buy games at the show, but when they fall in your lap for cheap, you have to pull the trigger.

#177 8 years ago

I would like to thank thekorn for bringing that ICB! I had no ideal how fun and frustrating one of them could be! I did manage to make it to hole 36 once.

The Ambulance performed when it needed to but left me semi stranded with one of the 2 batteries going south some time between Friday night and Saturday morning. Luckily I was parked near http://www.starship-fantasy.com and he had an RV that I was able to get a jump from.

Pinball Life was a blast again this year. Can't wait to do it again next year (with new batteries)!

Was fun playing games with everyone.

#178 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

inlaws live in dallas and it is due time to go visit them. Free place to stay helps and I can get out of the house and pinball which adds to the value fo the trip (wife is likely reading this so worth mention that I love the inlaws but pinballing sure will make the trip more fun )

You'll love TPF Hilton!! One of the best run shows in the country, and just an awesomely amazing amount of top-notch games available for play.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#179 8 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

You'll love TPF Hilton!! One of the best run shows in the country, and just an awesomely amazing amount of top-notch games available for play.

Spoke w wife last night and she is game. We are going to see if PTO will work out and we can make it happen.

Anyone know what day/time the pinball wizard playoffs occur? It is unclear if they happen on sat night or all day sunday

#180 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Anyone know what day/time the pinball wizard playoffs occur? It is unclear if they happen on sat night or all day sunday

I believe they've changed it up so that all finals wrap up Saturday night. The information should be on the website, or Ed posted about it around here somewhere about a month ago.

#181 8 years ago
Quoted from Law:

I believe they've changed it up so that all finals wrap up Saturday night. The information should be on the website, or Ed posted about it around here somewhere about a month ago.

I checked the website but it is unclear when playoffs occur.

http://texaspinball.com/tpf/tournaments/texas-wizards-tournament/

#182 8 years ago

Robin will be at the next TPF, so that's yet another incentive to go.

#183 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

atleast 10 of those not working or not available for play which should be removed formt he list

Maybe when he walked by them they were on and working? You are implying people brought garbage to the show, which is not the case.

I don't remember 10 games being off and broken in that room at any one time.

Andrew

#184 8 years ago

Burningman and the Portland Monkey made my weekend. Two of the coolest cats you'd ever wanna meet,...so hope ya did.
You guys are the best !

#185 8 years ago

A's thread got locked before I could throw in my disclaimer on this pic I posted....
Anybody know this jerk ?
CAM01384.jpgCAM01384.jpg
Just to be crystal clear...I was referring to MYSELF...not Gary. He was extremely nice, welcoming, and even joked about our drinks. Super cool, and an honor to meet that man.
And Scott Danesi is the best button pusher I've ever met. He is truly a leader in his field.

#186 8 years ago
Quoted from APB_Enterprises:

Maybe when he walked by them they were on and working? You are implying people brought garbage to the show, which is not the case.
I don't remember 10 games being off and broken in that room at any one time.
Andrew

There were some great machines from all eras (I won't even try to list them), but there were certainly more than 10 down when I was there on Sat... and probably equally as many that should have been.

#187 8 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

And Scott Danesi is the best button pusher I've ever met. He is a leader in his field

Scott Danesi is awesome, Doug's shirt says so

#188 8 years ago
Quoted from anthony691:

There were some great machines from all eras (I won't even try to list them), but there were certainly more than 10 down when I was there on Sat... and probably equally as many that should have been.

I agree. I was there Saturday morning.

#189 8 years ago

Anyone know how much that El Dorado sold for in the Free Play area? It was nice.

#190 8 years ago
Quoted from Slim64:

I agree. I was there Saturday morning.

We talking free play room or vendor hall? Or both added together?

Andrew

#191 8 years ago

We talking free play room or vendor hall? Or both added together?
Andrew

I assumed the list originally referenced by whysnow was for all pins there.

Regardless, I'm thankful for everyone that brought machines, whether they made it the whole show or had issues. I know stuff happens.

#192 8 years ago

You are implying people brought garbage to the show, which is not the case.

unfortunately it was the case. There were 3 EMs that were loaded in broken and broken the whole time. They were priced high and I spoke with the owner of 1. He told me "the flipper has been like that for a while and I price it high so it will not sell as that is my 'junker' I bring to expo to get me in for free each year" He was proud of himself. I shook my head an walked away. Sorry i can't remember which machines as pretty much all EMs (aside from a few) all look the same to me.

#193 8 years ago

I toyed with the thought of bringing like 200 dead pins to the event just to see what would happen. Sounds like a dick move to bring a non working game.

#194 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

as that is my 'junker' I bring to expo to get me in for free each year"

talk about low class, cheap, inconsiderate, etc. I feel bad for the folks helping out who had to help move in a machine that had no chance of being played. Maybe next year Andrew will do a 'working check' to insure games are fully functioning when brought in to prevent this kind of BS. We all understand machines break during play, but to bring one in that you know is not working to get in for free is just beyond scummy.

#195 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

He told me "the flipper has been like that for a while and I price it high so it will not sell as that is my 'junker' I bring to expo to get me in for free each year" He was proud of himself. I shook my head an walked away.

Was he wearing a pinball shirt and a VW baseball cap?

#196 8 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

talk about low class, cheap, inconsiderate, etc. I feel bad for the folks helping out who had to help move in a machine that had no chance of being played. Maybe next year Andrew will do a 'working check' to insure games are fully functioning when brought in to prevent this kind of BS. We all understand machines break during play, but to bring one in that you know is not working to get in for free is just beyond scummy.

We did consider this... It's a problem for time, and seems like it may only come up with a few people. It's a weak move. Many of us work our asses off to put the show together, to have a great free play room. To bring a junker to get in is insulting to us.

You want to do better next year? Instead of bringing known not working games, volunteer to help with load in or load out. That gets you an arm band and I don't need to store your trash for the weekend...

Andrew

#197 8 years ago
Quoted from Pugsley:

I toyed with the thought of bringing like 200 dead pins to the event just to see what would happen.

Sounds like a project hunters dream lol

#198 8 years ago

We did consider this... It's a problem for time,

I suspect there is some time that first day to get a few folks to make sure machines at least start up, can put a play in ball and that both flippers work (and that most of the lights light up, and maybe there is not major switch errors reported, for games that do that). Even if it can't be right during setup, if an hour or two in wed night the machine has been turned off, you can make note, assuming you know whose machine it is, and can at least ban them the next year, or know whose machines must be checked before begin given their wrist band in future years, and that would stop this BS. As we have both said, too many people work too hard, to have someone do this nonsense. If this is pissing me off, I can't image how you and the rest of the crew feel when you hear about crap like this.

#199 8 years ago

Unfortunately, I missed the factory tour since my plane arrived later on Thursday. I now see many faces on pinside that I missed the whole time at Expo. It would've been great to meet you guys. Oh well, hopefully next year.

Otherwise, I had a great time. I saw many familiar faces, met some other new people, and somehow made it into the finals. I even had a match with Roger Sharpe! He's very gracious and is a very nice guy. I couldn't thank him enough for making at crucial lane shot back in 1976. Also met and took pics with Ritchie, Jared, and the two Melon Heads Dennis Nordman and Greg Freres, as well as meeting others at the autograph session.

The best part for me was seeing many of my Florida friends there for the first time. It's my 6th expo (96, 97, 02, 04, 07) and my main gripe was the lackluster game selection in the main hall. Too few games, and many were broken/slanted. It was disappointing to say the least. Nonetheless, it's the people that make expo awesome. It was a non-stop party that could've gone on for three more days. Hopefully I'll get to meet more of you pinsiders next year!

-Joel

#200 8 years ago
Quoted from JoelOmatik:

Too few games, and many were broken/slanted.

This reminded me of one game in particular (I won't identify it because I appreciate that someone brought it and wouldn't want to offend them) that was a fully functional example of one of everyone's favorite games---it was substantially unplayable owing entirely to the position of the levelers (probably a 3-4 degree PF slope on game that's typically played at twice that incline). The funny thing is, I'm sure that is just how the owner prefers it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 179.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Tehachapi, CA
$ 99.00
$ 10.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 209 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chicago-pinball-expo-2015-in-review/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.