20151017_150026.jpg
20151017_123144.jpg
20151017_120923.jpg
20151016_200753.jpg
20151016_142336.jpg
20151016_140944.jpg
2015-10-16_18.52.13.jpg
20151015_114234.jpg
There are 209 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 8 years ago

I think the game I played the most at PBL Explosion was the Trilogy game. Probably played 4 games on it and snagged 2 full pours. Very good stout, what was the ABV on that anyway?

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

In short I was lambasted by Jody Dankberg for even asking and told I should probably look towards buying something else as not every game is intended for route or in this case for my personal collection. I am truly amazed that Stern puts someone like him out in the public spotlight. He really has some issues and I have never been treated so poorly by someone that I assume is supposed to be attempting to sell me on the highlights of the game and acting as PR.

My roommate had a run in with this guy at the same event. I guess the games were mobbed so he couldn't even get close enough to see what the playfield looked like. So he saw a huge stack of flyers on the table and went over and picked one up to see a picture of what the game looked like. This guy came up accused my buddy of stealing the flyer, I guess as one point he stole his water bottle out of his hand to make a point. It sounded pretty tense over something that presumably was there to be given away anyway. Several folks there saw it play out and were clearly weirded out on how this guy acted. Sorry this is all 3rd person as I was not there but it certainly seems to fit with the other impressions. And he is in charge of marketing for Stern??

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

Very good stout, what was the ABV on that anyway?

Roughly ~6%~

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I had 4 beers on thursday which for me is a lot

You are definitely NOT from WI!

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from jewboyflowerhead:

Can someone educate me.....who is jody in relationship to stern?

Jody is the stern fluffer boy.

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

From now on when I get too drunk I'm going with the "I was over served defense" as well and not blame my lack of self control

I'm gonna blame your wife's heavy pour!

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

My roommate had a run in with this guy at the same event. I guess the games were mobbed so he couldn't even get close enough to see what the playfield looked like. So he saw a huge stack of flyers on the table and went over and picked one up to see a picture of what the game looked like. This guy came up accused my buddy of stealing the flyer, I guess as one point he stole his water bottle out of his hand to make a point.

That's really hilarious. And I'll tell you why, but I do think we shouldn't be dogpiling Jody, no need to make it all personal and nasty.

Anyways, that stack of flyers? The event was over, GoT games wheeled out, everyone from Stern left. It was just me and Rarehero and his awesome girlfriend Sara chatting at a table. And then I found the stack, just sitting there on the floor. Must have been hundreds there.

I figured the cleaning crew would throw them out, so I picked them up and ended up dropping them on the swag table in the hall with the tournament. Hopefully anyone who wanted one got one. But "stealing" one? There were so many everyone at the event could have taken a handful. Not something precious to guard, and no one cared enough to even take them out of the room when the event was cleaned up.

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

but I do think we shouldn't be dogpiling Jody, no need to make it all personal and nasty.

Boorish behavior deserves it; and I saw his dickish attitude first hand on several occasions. Him and Mike both deserve it.

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Boorish behavior deserves it; and I saw his dickish attitude first hand on several occasions. Him and Mike both deserve it.

I had no issues with Mike, interacted with him several times with no problem. Sounds like people who bring games have some issues?

And I think it's fine to criticize Jody, he's the public face of a company, it comes with the territory. But no need to call him names like fluffer or whatever. Just talk about what you didn't like in a constructive way instead.

#60 8 years ago

Man, I'm so tired ... Me and Nimblepin worked out we've both had like 10 hours sleep in 3 days. Crazy. My eyes are like bugging out and all blurry ...

The visit to Expo has been cool. Got to meet lots of old buds and lots of new ones.

PBL was the main attraction for me to come, to catch up with Terry and Margaret, the Flanks, Jay, Doug, Hilton etc etc. That crew is tight, ultra welcoming and always great guys to be around. The event was a winner. Apologies if I ignored/annoyed anyone at PBL or the Stern party afterwards because I did have a lot to drink. A lot. It was my "annual blowout" as Fiona calls it. Last one was at Odins place last year and his screen door is still paying the price

The Expo comp was a wash for me ... The website said the playoffs were on Sunday so I wondered down 11am Saturday to do some more qualifying (I'd only played 4/7 games and was in 60th place) and discovered I missed the playoffs already. Oh well, I guess I should have asked. If I had shown up at 10am to play my games I don't think I would have played to well anyway after the Friday night drinking hahaha!

I played in Classics, only top 16 made it and I was 32nd. Had good games on Ali and EBD but sucked on SandS and Warlock.

ExpoBrawl Pingolf was cool. Played with Simon as "team kiwi" Had a good first round, bad second round, a coffee fueled third round got us into C finals which we won with the best round of the day (16) Sweeeeet!!

I didn't come for the freeplay area (I know a lot of guys do) and to be honest there weren't a lot of machines there. Maybe 80? One of the guys said "you have more in your house ..." lol so maybe some room for improvement there.

Really enjoyed playing Full Throttle. Good game. Heighway seem to have their shit together.

I have been following P3 since day one, and didn't know if I liked it or not from the videos ... Finally played it and it is very cool. David Theil (aka Pin Sound Master!!) has done the music for it and it is very good. The whole package looks like a winner.

Hmmmm think that's about it? Lord I need some sleep ...

rd

#61 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I had no issues with Mike, interacted with him several times with no problem. Sounds like people who bring games have some issues?
And I think it's fine to criticize Jody, he's the public face of a company, it comes with the territory. But no need to call him names like fluffer or whatever. Just talk about what you didn't like in a constructive way instead.

When I hear someone taking a flyer, and then being called out on it like it's stealing, that rubs me the wrong way. If it wasn't kidding around, that is one of the lamest things I have heard. When I went to York, I grabbed a flyer just before I bought my NIB Kiss. If someone had accused me of ''stealing'' the flyer, I wouldn't have bought the game.

If the story is real, the guy needs to cut the shit.

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Hmmmm think that's about it? Lord I need some sleep ...

Get it now before Odin's!

#63 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you treat customers the way Jody does you should expect to get grief over it.

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

If you treat customers the way Jody does you should expect to get grief over it.

Okay, fair enough, but I dunno that it needs to descend into name calling. We're all adults here.

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from JeffA:

Sorry to hear about that. Was that what all the police were here for at around midnight last night? Was visiting some local relatives for dinner and returned to see 3 marked cars leaving the hotel.
The Westin parking lot seems to be a dangerous place. On Thursday night, I was walking to see if Subway was open and heard a crash. Looked over and a car had run up on the median between the entrance and exit. He or she had run into one of the flag poles which made most of the noise. I hope that the driver was just confused and not drunk. But, they backed off and left before I could get close enough to see the car or clearly.

Nothing to do with me. I didn't call the cops my bumper just got really scratched up when whoever was parked beside me couldn't figure how to back out properly I'm assuming.

#66 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Get it now before Odin's!

I suspect that his screen door is in for some more pounding ...

rd

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Okay, fair enough, but I dunno that it needs to descend into name calling. We're all adults here.

Meh, act like a DB get called out as one.

#68 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I also saw him barking orders at Jared and other Stern employees throughout the night. Guy has no respect and hence deserves no respect. Really put a bad taste (I cant stand when someone in a higher position treats employees like shit and is so demeaning to them) in my mouth

I was a front row witness to this also and will confirm Whysnow's comment as quoted above. (I was not with Whysnow)

It was my first time encountering Jody Dankberg in person and it was shameful. No employee or co-worker deserves to be spoken to that way. It was an arrogant display from Jody and I view him as a very poor representative for Stern now.

On the other hand, George Gomez was there (away from all of this) and what a gracious gentleman he is.

We all have different opinions, Whysnow but I disagree with your GoT & FT reviews. Many of us, including some tournament players, really enjoyed playing GoT. I think its going to be a hit on location and with home collectors. Too soon to tell for sure but its got great potential especially if you're a Steve Ritchie fan.

And I'm having some difficulty warming up to Full Throttle by Heighway. I wanna like it but I can't. Dark, lots of airballs and center drains for me. (straight down the middle after making a right side center loop, every time) I've played it many times at two shows now and I'm just not impressed. It leaves me cold without that "gotta play it again" feel.
I love the mechanics but not the game play so much.

We can just agree to disagree my friend. - Nice to finally have met you.

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

On the other hand, George Gomez was there (away from all of this) and what a gracious gentleman he is.

+1

George is one of the friendliest and most down to Earth people I've ever met.

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

+1
George is one of the friendliest and most down to Earth people I've ever met.

George spoke to me personally - for a good long while - when I was having early QC issues with my AVLE. Total gentleman. And I dare say his games may flow better than Ritchie's. Gomez engineers the smoothest shots in the biz.

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I was looking forward to actually seeing/playing the LE but it was far too packed to ever get a chance actually play it. I was kind of hoping the full featured version would show me that the prem was a model worth paying a little/lot more for. I quickly realized that the upper flippers appear to always be engaged (despite the ability to know state of ball and when it it entering/exiting the upper pf) and asked about plans to change this. In short I was lambasted by Jody Dankberg for even asking and told I should probably look towards buying something else as not every game is intended for route or in this case for my personal collection. I am truly amazed that Stern puts someone like him out in the public spotlight. He really has some issues and I have never been treated so poorly by someone that I assume is supposed to be attempting to sell me on the highlights of the game and acting as PR. I also saw him barking orders at Jared and other Stern employees throughout the night. Guy has no respect and hence deserves no respect. Really put a bad taste (I cant stand when someone in a higher position treats employees like shit and is so demeaning to them) in my mouth so I easily left their party and went back to play in the vendor hall and free play area for the rest of the night.

You should see how he treats a family of four. Especially with a autistic child being one of the four. Dude is the lowest of the low my man!

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

And I dare say his games may flow better than Ritchie's. Gomez engineers the smoothest shots in the biz.

Oooooooooooh I like Georges games, but I would have to disagree there. I can't think of any of them that flow like a SR game.

rd

#73 8 years ago
Quoted from weaselfest:

Major thumbs down to the Westin for the whole Decaf coffee only in the rooms thing..

By coincidence I ducked into that Jewel Osco outside the Pinball Life party and bought regular coffee thinking there would be a standard coffee maker in the room. When we found that little machine with those stupid pouches full of decaf we cut a slit in the top, dumped it out and filled them with my regular coffee. Problem solved .

One of my highlights was the end of the MSU v UM game. Freaking ridiculous ending.

I enjoyed the show. Yes the free play room was a letdown but I guess I'm part of the problem by not bringing a game along. The free play room is and should be supported by collectors willing to share their machines. Thanks to all those who brought them. We know it's a pain in the a** but we appreciate it nonetheless.

#74 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Oooooooooooh I like Georges games, but I would have to disagree there. I can't think of any of them that flow like a SR game.
rd

SR's library tends to be the definition of flow, but Gomez beats them all with Johnny Mnemonic. I've never gotten a pinball flying around orbits faster than I have on JM.. every shot but the middle comes right back at you, real fast...

#75 8 years ago

What is the purpose of making a flyer: Are they to give to potential buyers or sell to flyer collectors?

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

And I'm having some difficulty warming up to Full Throttle by Heighway. I wanna like it but I can't. Dark, lots of airballs and center drains for me. (straight down the middle after making a right side center loop, every time) I've played it many times at two shows now and I'm just not impressed. It leaves me cold without that gotta play it again feel.

Interesting. I played it a bunch and only a single air ball which came off one of the spinning wheels. I did not get any cheap drains either. I think it needs improved lighting cues and sound cues, but was very impressed!

Nice meeting you also, finally.

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

And I'm having some difficulty warming up to Full Throttle by Heighway. I wanna like it but I can't. Dark, lots of airballs and center drains for me. (straight down the middle after making a right side center loop, every time) I've played it many times at two shows now and I'm just not impressed. It leaves me cold without that gotta play it again feel.

I was really excited to play the "Big Screen" version of Full Throttle, which looks awesome by the way...I hate the Full Throttle translite, so turning into a JJP style full color screen w/ some minor art on the surround is a massive aesthetic improvement. However, almost every time we launched the ball, it went STDM out of it's little loopy launch exit. Ball save...cool...F*CK!!! STDM AGAIN!!! Not sure if this was due to the pitch or a rail outta whack on that particular game - but it really annoyed me and my girlfriend. We walked away and she said "That game is a mess" lol. I really want to like the game, but that STDM launch made it really tough.

Nice meeting you Whysnow - sorry we barely got to talk. Expo is crazy like that...everyone (including myself) is often pulled in multiple directions and conversations get cut short.

#78 8 years ago

Here's my take: not a lot of news, other than showing GOT LE in a special room. Heighway showed new art for aliens, Hobbit showed the latest code (Lawlor's reveal still not until next spring), Charlie pushed RZ out 3 weeks (don't blame him, it just is). The cold snap sure doesn't help things, nor does a partially empty freeplay area (but I really appreciate the guy that brought goin' nuts!). I always want to attend Expo for this reason though, see the hobby pins. Kugler family playfield has art (and a mailbox), Buffy has updated code and looks even better, nightmare before christmas played great, the peanuts playfield was only partially populated and not ready to play but it did have some playfield art.

As far as the rest.. if I want to play KISS, I can play Terry's any time I'm picking up some parts, same goes for lebowski. If I want a Stern tour, I can go any day of the week, Elk grove isn't far for me.

As far as Terry's Pinexplosion, I can play pretty much every machine a couple weeks before the show, but I still go because a ton of people show up to it (and I like hanging out). Also this being my 2nd year of bringing a game, I'm always going to try to bring a game now because it's an easy drop off weeks before the show, and I know it's appreciated. One thing I like about Terry is he is a little bit selective being that he can't hold more than about 50 games. He'll turn down an AFM to bring in something more obscure like "Al's garage band" because how often do you get to play that?

#79 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

sorry we barely got to talk.

I enjoyed our 45 second conversation also, Greg.

#80 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

However, almost every time we launched the ball, it went STDM out of it's little loopy launch exit.

Huh, I never saw that once. I think I was playing the one on the far right? I can't remember now. And we might have mixed them all up again after the party anyways.

#81 8 years ago

They may have fixed the SDTM problem on FullT because it didn't do that for me either. My 11 year old nephew played it and had fun.

#82 8 years ago

If I was not there to pick up a pin it would have been a wasted trip. More than half the people I met and talked to said they would never come back to expo.

#83 8 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

If I was not there to pick up a pin it would have been a wasted trip. More than half the people I met and talked to said they would never come back to expo.

What? Really? Why?

This was my third Expo in a row. I'll be back next year. I barely even set foot in the freeplay room, that's not why I go.

#84 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Huh, I never saw that once. I think I was playing the one on the far right?

The one I played was on the far left it that helps. The same machine was available each time I came around coincidently. The airballs were less than last years expo but still too many for my taste. And I watched the drain happen to a playing partner and then a guy that followed me. I did not get the launch drain that Rarehero did however.

I'm not trying to bash the game just being candid about my experience.

#85 8 years ago

I agree that there was less machines in freeplay than other years, but if you dont bring a game, then its hard to complain. I had 4 games on the floor. JM, Pinbot, Addams Family, and the incredible hulk used in x-pins booth. JM was sold on saturday to a pinsider, who pulled it as soon as he paid for it. So if you missed it, sorry. The addams i took was sold to another pinsider who kept it there all weekend. Another pinsider bought my pinbot and left it on all weekend, and I brought Hulk back home. All four of the games were on all weekend and never went down. Even the Hulk.

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from Tilt:

I agree that there was less machines in freeplay than other years, but if you dont bring a game, then its hard to complain. I had 4 games on the floor. JM, Pinbot, Addams Family, and the incredible hulk used in x-pins booth. JM was sold on saturday to a pinsider, who pulled it as soon as he paid for it. So if you missed it, sorry. The addams i took was sold to another pinsider who kept it there all weekend. Another pinsider bought my pinbot and left it on all weekend, and I brought Hulk back home. All four of the games were on all weekend and never went down. Even the Hulk.

I played your pinbot but forgot to play your Hulk. Thanks.

#87 8 years ago

The thing is, at least for me, Expo just isn't about going to play pins. It's a place where everyone, from all over the world, gathers to talk pinball. See new games. Check out cool projects. Pick up deals on parts. Watch cool seminars. Party, a lot.

If next year they said "sorry, no free play room at all" I'd still go, and it wouldn't change much for me.

Now I totally get that not everyone feels that way. And I'm grateful to whoever brought Catacomb, always wanted to play one of those. But I was really in that room for maybe 20 minutes total the whole time.

Lots of shows have killer game selections. Very few offer the chance to hang out with more than just your local pinheads.

#88 8 years ago

Personally I liked. Le Truck or whatever it was called in the free play room.
While not a huge selections like other shows people brought some cool machines

--Jeff

#89 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Some enjoy a recap so here goes... Sharing my expo experience and some highlights (and lowlights?). A bit long and rambling after too much fun and not much sleep but wanted to share for those that enjoy this sort of thing.
My Expo weekend started this past wednesday with our monthly Pooley's tournament in Madison, which served as a nice warm up for expo weekend. Hung out with some great friends and I think I was over served (probably not a good thing to stay up too late and drink too much on N1 of pinball fun, but knew the excitement would keep me up anyway).
Drove down to expo on Thursday and dropped off Creech in the freeplay room (it was pre-arranged sale). Great guy/buyer and smooth straightforward transaction. Picked up 2 games and both sellers were easy to deal with a great transactions. Looking forward to unwrapping my games on Sunday and starting to fix/tweak in the coming weeks. I was happy to have arranged a few purchases in advance since the freeplay room was pretty sparse this year and no deals to be found (for what I am ISO).
Thursday night my buddy came in from the city and we hung out and capitalized on the lower crowd to do freeplay stuff. Some very nice playing games despite the reduced numbers. HUGE thanks to ALL that brought working games and some great titles. I spent a good deal of time on goin nuts, qbert, starlight, catacomb, and fireball. All fun times. Lots of other great condition games also! Buddy ditched out for a hot date and I headed over to the Hieghway party at twin peaks. First time I had been and the name twin peaks seems appropriate First time playing the newest version of fullT and enjoyed it very much. Solid player, QUALITY design and engineering, and some well thought out part design! I was never able to really hear the game all too well all weekend, but from what I could see IMO it needs more well thought out light use (constantly changing GI is blargh and frustrating and not very intuitive what to shoot for/ too many inserts always seem to be blinking). Game has solid play and is very fun to shoot! F L O W is the best way I could describe it. The geometry is different feeling but in a good way. The game feels foreign but the player quickly adjusts and figures out the shots and can start to explore. Highlight of Thursday goes to good times with free beers from Highway and fun playing a new to me game.
Not enough sleep on Thursday due to those damn free beers and 2nd night of drinking meant expobrawl was coming early. Friday I played in brawl with the host from the coast. In short our play was not good (we missed C division by 1? spot) but still lots of fun. The general format of brawl is team golf through 3, 9 hole (actually 8,8,7?) courses with very simple goals but stuff really flows well. They have gotten it down to a science and it was a blast to play in despite me pulling up as anchor for quite a few games. Goals are all point based but low enough that even crappy play means a few 1s to lift you up. First round was probably the most fun as we played along with GeneX and Anna? We had alot of fun cheering each other on and flipping off bad games or missed goals with the suspense of a bonus coutdown. Expogolf is a must IMO and I look forward to it next year again.
After expobrawl/golf I headed over to explosion with the Spindler gang. Amazing party as it always is! Thanks to Terry and the PBLife crew for putting it on! I love all the fun contraptions Banger and crew come up with. I never did see Jay, but props on the love tunnel even if the broken belt took it down earlier than hoped. Great free food, beers, sodas, and folks. Met Gryzzz and one hell of a good guy! Had me laughing my arse off for a good half hour. Hung out with Wally a bit also >>that dude needs to post more and share more of all the great projects he is working on! Truly amazing fellow and such great passion for his niche (making pretty much every A lister in the world from scratch) in our niche hobby! PLayed a bunch of 1 handed P3 and had a blast. That game has come a long way and is much more immersive that last year. Better response time and priority coding. Very interested to see what happens with this as it appears to be much closer to production. Would love to put one on route if I could afford it... Game is built like a beast and you can tell Gerry puts alot into the game! Only disappointment is that I was too late to win a free beer form the trilogy game.
Back to expo post the explosion for time in the Vendor area. Highlight for me is always the startups, new games, and 1 off games.
I spent alot of time on FullT, all the roc games, and the fast games. I played TBL and honest opinion is that it was worse than last year. If I had money on it I would be asking for it back. Bad vibes for me on how poor it was, the lack of any obvious improvements from last year, and the constant issues it seemed to have. All appeared to be same games that were stateside last year and many mechs had no improvements. I am not sure what they have been working on for the past year but there was a marked decline in the function of the games. Modes not working and pretty repetitive feel sadly.
I spent a bit of time on GoT and the pro does nothing for me. It 'feels' like Stpro in relative flow, but wide open shots. The code feels to be more of an adventure (like LOTR?) but the combination is not enough for me. To put it simply the pro felt bald to me. It is missing too much and seems to be more built for a home buyer looking for a long player game (i.e. not good for route play or for people that like to accomplish something with some shorter ball times). The code appears like it could be cool once polished. Definitely a different code vibe to this one which is cool. Code may be better in a more intimate setting (where you can hear and see things easier) and as it gets polished but I do not think it can overcome poor art and a stripped back design for me? Time will tell but not purchasing anytime soon.
I was looking forward to actually seeing/playing the LE but it was far too packed to ever get a chance actually play it. I was kind of hoping the full featured version would show me that the prem was a model worth paying a little/lot more for. I quickly realized that the upper flippers appear to always be engaged (despite the ability to know state of ball and when it it entering/exiting the upper pf) and asked about plans to change this. In short I was lambasted by Jody Dankberg for even asking and told I should probably look towards buying something else as not every game is intended for route or in this case for my personal collection. I am truly amazed that Stern puts someone like him out in the public spotlight. He really has some issues and I have never been treated so poorly by someone that I assume is supposed to be attempting to sell me on the highlights of the game and acting as PR. I also saw him barking orders at Jared and other Stern employees throughout the night. Guy has no respect and hence deserves no respect. Really put a bad taste (I cant stand when someone in a higher position treats employees like shit and is so demeaning to them) in my mouth so I easily left their party and went back to play in the vendor hall and free play area for the rest of the night.
Expo for those that have not gone is so much about the social interaction and ability to hang out with industry people, meeting old friends, meeting new friends, putting faces to names and online names. What makes this hobby truly so amazing are all the great people that are part of it. I can list probably 50 of you that I had fun nerd out pinball conversations with and all were unique and enlightening, funny as hell, and just in general a joy! While doing all of the things above I was mainly hanging out and shooting the shit with many of you! Some good laughs and some good times; combined with some good pinball and a general care free experience. Expo was a lot of fun for me.
Next year they need to put more focus on the free play room. I heard from many people that they no longer bring games because "Mike is a jerk" I am not sure how they can get past this, but I assume ticket sales next year will be down due to the largely disjointed players that showed up with the main intent of playing in free play (saw posts on other social media sites telling other players to not bother with the trip down). To me expo is no longer so focused on free play (I go to MGC for that; and maybe TPF sometime?) Expo does some things well > vendor variety, Proc/Fast games, ROb Anthony room of great stuff!, explosion, expogolf, and seems like the big tourney is always a hit even though I never play in it (I dont care for the format), but if they dont get the freeplay room back into shape then they are missing the core of pinball (i.e. the actual games for people to play). I think it is possible for someone else to step in and create a competing event around the same time of year in the general region if they were so inclined. Last year seemed to be a 30th year rejuvenation. This year unfortunately did not maintain that trajectory. Still fun, but lacking the excitement and pizazz of last year; I think largely to the disappointment of many concerning the freeplay room.

I'm suprised Jody was rude when I toured the stern pinball factory back in August 2012 when they were making X men he showed us around and was super polite and patient when I asked a couple of questions I'm surprised he acted like that

#90 8 years ago

At one time I almost forgot why I was as Expo. I was in the vendor hall one time when it was closed and jumped on a game of GoT. After my game was over a guy came up and started talking. Then asked if I wanted to play GoT with him. I said no thanks and started to walk away. Then I stopped and turned around and said "what am I thinking. Sure I'll play a game. This is Expo and we are supposed to interact and play with stranger. " after he kicked my ass. I thanked him for asking.

That's what Expo is about!!!

#91 8 years ago
Quoted from Lamboo27:

I'm suprised Jody was rude when I toured the stern pinball factory back in August 2012 when they were making X men he showed us around and was super polite and patient when I asked a couple of questions I'm surprised he acted like that

You know, maybe they're all stressed because they had to wrap the game up in time for Expo, in the face of a lot of criticism that generated last minute changes.

I'm trying to be more empathetic to people now, just try and see it from their perspective. I didn't even talk to Jody. I saw him, but never at a time when I felt like going over to him. But I wouldn't be shocked if he was just cranky like everyone else. I probably would be too.

Beats me. All I know is Jared had enough energy for 2 people, and covered for him.

#92 8 years ago

I saw and heard the incident between Jody and another guy over the flyers. It was unreal how he acted. Accused the guy of trying to steal the flyers. Then he snatched the guys bottle of water and said "how would you like me to steal your water "

I actually was sitting with Tanio from stem for about an hour later that night and tilted him what I saw.

#93 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You know, maybe they're all stressed because they had to wrap the game up in time for Expo, in the face of a lot of criticism that generated last minute changes.
I'm trying to be more empathetic to people now, just try and see it from their perspective. I didn't even talk to Jody. I saw him, but never at a time when I felt like going over to him. But I wouldn't be shocked if he was just cranky like everyone else. I probably would be too.
Beats me. All I know is Jared had enough energy for 2 people, and covered for him.

I wanted go to to expo 2015 but plane tickets to Chicago are hella expensive and I've heard mix reviews about Expo Rob Berk does a terrific job running the show and there are more pins there then ever before I just saw a post where this one guy was acting like a smart ass and harrasing 2 women who were playing Hobbit and that made me feel like I shouldn't be heading down to expo if I have to run into shit like that

#94 8 years ago

I would agree that George Gomez is a gentleman. And on that note, here's my personal highlight of the weekend:

#95 8 years ago
Quoted from bentmatchstick:

And on that note, here's my personal highlight of the weekend:

Yes but you're biased

I love your pinbox3000 project, we need to keep pinball alive with the next generation. Maybe someday you can design pinbox 4000 with some slings and inlanes

#96 8 years ago
Quoted from Lamboo27:

I just saw a post where this one guy was acting like a smart ass and harrasing 2 women who were playing Hobbit and that made me feel like I shouldn't be heading down to expo if I have to run into shit like that

I've been going to Expo for years and never seen anything like that. We don't tolerate that, as that thread evidences.

#97 8 years ago

All I thought about when I saw that was space elevator!

#98 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I've been going to Expo for years and never seen anything like that. We don't tolerate that, as that thread evidences.

I go to Pin A Go Go in Dixon never seen or heard ANY foul play like that I hope he's not allowed at any other pinball expos

#99 8 years ago
Quoted from Lamboo27:

I go to Pin A Go Go in Dixon never seen or heard ANY foul play like that I hope he's not allowed at any other pinball expos

This is like PAGG, but instead of Steve Ritchie as the guest, it's every designer and programmer from every company. There aren't as many free play games as PAGG, but there are way more options. Seminars, parties, tournaments, prototype and homebrew games, vendors of all styles. You could have seen the first live demo of a 24 bit RGB LED DMD. It's just a cool place to be.

#100 8 years ago

I'm already feeling nostalgiac, so I'm happy to reminisce and document my weekend:

We arrived Wednesday night. We checked in, and went to check out the free play area at around 11pm. It was thinner than last year at that point, but we played a few really well-maintained games (I think they were the Cincy pinball group - thanks for bring them (every year)!). After the hall closed, we decided we'd make the trip into the city a bit to go to Logan Arcade. That place blew me away. I had a sort of idea about what it would be, and in my head it was great, but in reality it was even better! This was a huge highlight of the weekend for me, I love that this place exists, and I plan to visit every chance I get.

After a late first night, we slept through anything we had planned on doing. We had grandiose plans to go golfing or hit up some indoor go karts and then just hang out at a sports bar for the day. Instead, we slept until about 2pm, and decided that last option - sports bar - would be our best bet. We got back and waited on the vendor line. The vendor area was a bit thinner than most years. I think I was most disappointed that they didn't setup the monitors for the new Stern games. If I'm going to be waiting in line for 20 minutes to play a game, I appreciate the monitors above so I can get a crash course before stepping up after a long wait.

- GoT played better than I expected, and while I'm not in love with the art, it looks better in person than it does on screen. I had some interest in picking one up, but I think it's a title I wouldn't mind owning with some mileage on it down the road. There seems to be some huge scoring opportunities if you can learn the rules well, and know when best to use PF multipliers, shot multipliers, etc.

-- It was great to see that Stern put out a strategy guide for this game! I didn't get through it, and wish I would have played after giving it a read. I like that the code is further along than normal at this stage. I think there are some quirks, but perhaps with a better understanding of what I need to be doing, those would make more sense. Dwight was also hanging around the area, appeared to be taking notes, and was happy to help players get the most of their time at the machine - that was really cool to see.

Most of my group stayed up as late as we could on Thursday night in the free play area. This, of course, led to another partly wasted day. We got up late again on Friday, and found ourselves rushing to make the Spooky Pinball auction at 3. We walked in just in time to hear that the game had just sold for $16,000.. amazing! Congratulations for Spooky and crew, and the charity that benefits from their (and the buyer's) generosity! If Logan Arcade wasn't my favorite moment, my time at PBL was. It was a great atmosphere, everyone was excited about the huge sale of AMH, there was free food, free drinks, plenty of good games to play, and good company. Thanks to PBL for putting this on!

We spent another late night in the game room after we returned to expo. Saturday, I decided I needed another game, and jumped on a WPT that a friend (Kingpin) had for sale. I wouldn't trust picking up a game that I couldn't power on or get a real close look at from most sellers, but Kingpin is a standup guy, and there were no surprises here. I was tired from moving a machine 10ft, so I took another nap. We had played pretty much everything at this point, and saw everything we had wanted to see. We had plans to watch the fight (Golovkin ie Triple G). After we found out BWW's doesn't order boxing, I called around and found that Twin Peaks would be showing it - perfect!

We showed up at Twin Peaks early enough to get a seat and catch the undercard. I asked the moody hostess if they'd be showing the fight (to confirm). She gave me some attitude, and told me that they weren't playing anything until the Mets (cubs) game was over. ..alright, but you have 400 TVs? I was told that every time that they tried to change the channel to anything other than the cubs on any TV (even 1 of the 3 TVs in a 3TV bank!) some boisterous bro watching his 5th cub game would get angry and tell them to change it back. Well, whatever, that's fine, we can wait until the cubs inevitably lose and catch the fight after that. Then we were told that they wouldn't be ordering the fight at all - corporate had canceled it. I called around to see if we could catch any bar somewhat local that would be showing it, and after about a dozen or so attempts and some false leads, failed. That was a bit of a letdown, and we walked back to expo after getting a bite at Spears (a pretty cool place with a huge whiskey list).

Saturday night we conquered Expo. We played our yearly championship between our group (congrats to Paul for his great achievement as one of only two dual major winners), and played everything left in the vendor hall. We were among the last people standing.

Even though games were lighter than the past, I still had a great time, very few hardships, and held a pretty consistent buzz. It was great catching up with people, and meeting some new ones - I wish I could have spent more time talking with all of you!

Winter is coming. I'll see you all at Waun-a-Pinball and MGC!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 179.00
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 99.00
Machine - For Sale
Tehachapi, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

There are 209 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chicago-pinball-expo-2015-in-review/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.