(Topic ID: 113483)

Chicago ice cream shop Christmas 1976

By dkpinball

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC00220.JPG
    DSC00158.JPG
    image-831.jpg
    image-913.jpg
    image-951.jpg
    image-793.jpg
    image.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

My uncle posted some TBT pictures from his ice cream shop, Christmas 1976 in the Ukrainian Village, Chicago. From a Pinball/coin op nostalgia perspective I thought they were awesome and worth sharing.

My uncle is up on the kids shoulders. Chicago cop, Vietnam vet, ice cream shop owner.

I only have a vague recollection of the place, I was 6 1/2 at the time. I think this paints a great picture of being a kid in that era. That's my grandmother on santa's lap.

image.jpgimage.jpg

I dig the jukebox in this one. I think one of the other pictures shows an external speaker. In 1976 a buck would buy you a beef sandwich. It's $7 these days!
    image-793.jpgimage-793.jpg
    image-951.jpgimage-951.jpg
    image-913.jpgimage-913.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Cool pics...year I was born...man I feel old...and young at the same time

#3 9 years ago

Space Odyssey, Stratoflight, ??? (in the foreground of the third pic, background of the second).

Very cool. I lived in Ukrainian Village for years. 2152 is the address. Do you know which street?

#4 9 years ago

I love when people post pictures like these, they bring back great memories. We all need to thank the family members (usually moms) who took the time to take these types of pictures so we can remember what it was like in our childhood.

#5 9 years ago

I want to say Chicago Ave, I'm waiting on an answer for that.

#6 9 years ago

2152 W. Chicago ave, Chicago IL

#7 9 years ago

Everything about this place is awesome. If there was a place exactly like this today (wood paneling and all!) then I'd be going there.

#8 9 years ago

Very cool.
    Thanks for sharing this.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from dkpinball:

2152 W. Chicago ave, Chicago IL

I lived two blocks away... 30 years after this picture was taken.

#10 9 years ago

Back then they said cheese when pics were taken. .... now they say FACEBOOK!!

#11 9 years ago

In the last pic, it looks like a Duotron. On the extreme right side, of the photo.

#12 9 years ago

sign me up for two of those huge cookies in small display case in photo one!

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

Cool pics...year I was born...man I feel old...and young at the same time

You feel old? I was the age of the kids in the pics - 19 that year. I was 50 miles north, in Kenosha, WI. We were already complaining about pins disappearing from locations, and the video revolution was about to begin.

Thanks for posting!

#14 9 years ago

Thanks for posting. Wouldn't it be cool if someone in the pictures was on Pinside viewing these photos!

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from Barron:

Space Odyssey, Stratoflight, ??? (in the foreground of the third pic, background of the second).
    Very cool. I lived in Ukrainian Village for years. 2152 is the address. Do you know which street?

The other two machines are Williams' Grand Prix and Chicago Coin's Hi-Score Pool.

#16 9 years ago

I'm pretty sure my cousin is in that group. He grew up a few blocks away on Race & Leavitt. Chicago in the 70s was a fun time...thanks for posting these!

#17 9 years ago

I was 17 in 1976 and played pinball almost every weekend that summer. 3 5-ball games for a quarter

#18 9 years ago

The 70s were the best! Man I miss all that wood paneling on the walls. In shops and other peoples houses that is. I've still got mine.

#19 9 years ago

Those are awesome.
    Love the too cool for school dude in the second pic that is leaning on the bar, knee in the air, smoking a cig, with the moustache, jacket and hair.

Plus, I think the guy doing the thumbs up in the last photo could have been a star in Fast Times at Ridgemont high. lol.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from ChadH:

Everything about this place is awesome. If there was a place exactly like this today (wood paneling and all!) then I'd be going there.

Margie's Candies on Western and Armitage is a ice cream parlor/candy shop that is similar looking inside and it's still in business today. I don't think they have any coin-op though. It is a fun trip into a time capsule though.

#21 9 years ago

fonzie in a leather jacket

#22 9 years ago

In 20 years, this picture of me is going to be one for the memory books image-831.jpgimage-831.jpg

#23 9 years ago

I like your style , forward thinking .Got a good generation coming up

#24 9 years ago

The menu on the wall shows a gravy sandwich for 20 cents. I could sure go for one of those now.

#25 9 years ago

Nothing will beat that old kinda setting, though. What was the name of this place, dk?

#26 9 years ago

Waldo's.

Owned by my uncle Wally.

#27 9 years ago

man oh man ..never been to your uncles place but thanks for this beautiful snap shots from a great time to be a teen in the Chicago area..no such real local hang outs like this where when you walk in as kid you felt like you had a safe place that was home for you and your friends..i have been trying to create this type of feeling in our home arcade..almost impossible to get this feeling with out the wood panel..real made my holiday to see your photos and brought back some good memories of 1972-1976 before video take the stage..i post 2 photos to show ..again thanks!

DSC00158.JPGDSC00158.JPG DSC00220.JPGDSC00220.JPG
    #28 9 years ago
    Quoted from belairjoe:

man oh man ..never been to your uncles place but thanks for this beautiful snap shots from a great time to be a teen in the Chicago area..no such real local hang outs like this where when you walk in as kid you felt like you had a safe place that was home for you and your friends..i have been trying to create this type of feeling in our home arcade..almost impossible to get this feeling with out the wood panel..real made my holiday to see your photos and brought back some good memories of 1972-1976 before video take the stage..i post 2 photos to show ..again thanks!

DSC00158.JPG 209 KB

DSC00220.JPG 168 KB

Nice gameroom/arcade. Was the Italian Ice sign obtained from the midwest or New York City?

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Nice gameroom/arcade. Was the Italian Ice sign obtained from the midwest or New York City?

got this off ebay.i did not pay much I must check..i think 60 bucks,,i had letters from other project..it was out of new jersey..leader board from wisc...these make the place really look like arcade resort type thing..great for softer light...got them all hooked up on wireless command so I press 1 to 6 buttons and lights go in rifle area.or booth area etc.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from dkpinball:

My uncle posted some TBT pictures from his ice cream shop, Christmas 1976 in the Ukrainian Village, Chicago. From a Pinball/coin op nostalgia perspective I thought they were awesome and worth sharing.

You thought correctly. Love them!

#31 9 years ago

YES! Thanks so much for posting these! I love seeing old pics from back int he day where the games are there in use and I get that very nostalgic feeling for my childhood. I'd love to see other pinsiders' pics of the same things. I'm sure lots of you have them! It would make for a great thread.

I also love seeing a Space Odyssey in the pics. That's the table that I got this year which started me on my own pinball junkie journey and - of course - also led me to Pinside. I know that table has a bad reputation and all, but I love mine. It's great to see one back in the day in a public setting being played!

#32 9 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to post the pics.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chicago-ice-cream-shop-christmas-1976 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.