6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Hugo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I did enjoy the pingolf format they had for expobrawl this year. The idea was overall fun, but was majorly flawed in a very important aspect.

Next year, you should not carry over the points from qualifiers into finals. If you do the math, it's not possible for the bottom 4 teams to make up enough points to improve their standings. It's basically pointless to have finals and should just move the top 4 to the next level. The only people that would have a chance to improve would be the 5th place qualifiers might have a slim chance to trade with 4th place.

Reason it doesn't work, is because you only have a shift of 1 to 4 possible strokes. Over a span of only 6 games. With a majority of those games, set with such easy objectives, they were pretty much guaranteed a 1 or a 2. So if someone is in 6th or 7th place and 6 points behind going into finals. Even if they score 1's across the board in 7th or 8th place. they would not improve enough to make up the 6 points, plus enough point to pull ahead beyond that. Just not enough variables to make it happen. If you had 8 or 9 games. with max stroke limit 6 or 7. Maybe you could make up enough points. But again, you would have to have the objectives be set high enough, that there is a big variable that could happen.

Overall I liked the idea. But 72% of the objectives were way to easy, which really limited the diversity in scores. I know you did a lot of it for time issues and to keep things moving fast. Which I understand, but there has to be some tweeking and more time spent on planning objectives.

Carry over for finals on points has to be eliminated as well. If you qualify, you should be able to start fresh, and then take top 4 from that first round, top 2, and so on.

Other than that, I think it went fairly smooth, didn't crowd up to bad and overall was fun to play.

#2 6 years ago

I had fun and thought the golf format was a nice change of pace, but I agree that there should have been more diversity between the holes. A majority of them were simply "score x amount of points". I would liked to have seen holes where you had to start a particular multiball, lock a certain number of balls, activate a unique game feature, etc ...

#3 6 years ago

yes, that would be great too. But I think we need more stroke options too. 1 to 4 just isn't enough diversity. Allows to many ties.

#4 6 years ago

Fully agree on the final round all teams involved start with a fresh slate of scores. The team score differences in A-Division were very spaced apart. Couple that with the fact holes were cutout due to time constraints made it impossible for 5 of the 8 teams in the finals to win the event, let alone even move up to the top 3 spots.

Otherwise I had a great time playing in the event as everyone got to play a vast variety of games. Many thanks to all involved in making the event possible. Big time thanks to those that provided the games used in the event.

Suggested improvements:
    Use em and early solid state machines only as they have shorter ball times and can be restarted when goal is achieved.

Use same amount of holes for each round.

Scores start anew for finals giving all teams involved a chance to improve their placement as Neo stated.

#5 6 years ago

I think it would make more sense to have cumulative scores if there are four rounds, but time wouldn't allow that. Also wanted to see 9 holes instead of 8, 7, or 6

#6 6 years ago

more cumulative rounds wouldn't make any sense if each round was an elimination round like this was.

#7 6 years ago

I see what you're saying. I guess my point is that in a PGA tour match the scores will be cumulative, with a cut line where players will ultimately be eliminated.

#8 6 years ago

Well, picture the PGA would then do finals, keep the points where they are at. Only play 6 more holes, and the highest you stroke out would be a 4 on those 6 holes.

#9 6 years ago

We made it into the finals by the skin of our teeth. We were literally the lowest ranked team in the "C" division. IIRC, we were six strokes off the lead with only six more holes to play. We knew going into the final round that it would be virtually impossible to place, but it was still fun. I agree that it would have been better with more holes and more strokes allowed per hole, but that simply wasn't possible given the time constraints.

#10 6 years ago

We ended up winning C but I have to agree with Neo. We played our match (a very good one - came from a few points behind on the last game) and after we won I was expecting to play another thinking there was a playoff format. We were in 3rd qualifying and got bumped up to first.
    Thought the Pingolf was extremely fun and went faster than I expected.

#11 6 years ago

We ended up slotted in 5th place in the B division. If the scores would not have carried over, we would have finished 3rd. However, we ended up in 5th place and didn't move. Agree that teams should start with a clean slate after the qualifying is over.

However, the tourney itself was great fun. Nice mix of machines and it flowed very well. The organizers ran a tight ship.

#12 6 years ago

I agree it was fun. With some tweeking, it could be a really awesome event and something I could really look forward to every year, like pinburgh does for me now.

#13 6 years ago

I just got back in after much fun in Chicago. I was a member of the team that put on the Brawl.
    Thanks for all the comments. They are appreciated ! We wanted to try something new for several reasons but mainly because of some time issues. Both Mike and folks that have played in the past expressed the desire for a shorter format.

With a shorter fotmat in mind we went though great pains timing many of the games and set the target accordingly. For the most part, we hit it correct !

There were some holes that played easy and some harder. One of the concerns with objectives is that about 1/4 of the folks are fairly new to pinball and have a hard time figuring them out. We had to define what it meant to drop a target on Harlem (bonus) because some were confused when asked. I helped some folks figure out what it meant to destroy a country in AFM

Being an EM guy and having so many nice games we were really hoping that thy would work better Turns out that cycling though the players and having five balls per player really extended the game. I actually played a few that took 4 min for me to make an easy target score for one player ! We tried this on many of the EM's there. I was personally sad we could not use more. DMD's can have the same issues but we were very selective.

There was much debate over cary over scores. There are pros and cons to both ways and we will be tweaking that for sure.

Thanks to all that played and to all for the patience with the new format and the bumps that we experienced. Looking forward to next year already !

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    MUNSTERS TOPPER Out of stock
    Top-Notch Target Shields
    $ 7,699.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 159.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Other
    Rocket City Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Lighting - Other
    Professor Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The Art of Pinball
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 289.00
    $ 8.00
    Electronics
    Docent Electronics
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 100.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 225.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    Various Other Swag
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,699.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 14.95
    $ 63.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 66.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside