(Topic ID: 295474)

Chicago Coin’s Bullseye Baseball

By JojoButterbean

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bbplans (resized).jpg
    a-1 arcing (resized).jpg
    check_sws (resized).jpg
    bullseye cam 1 switch B (resized).jpg
    bullseye cam 1 switch A (resized).jpg
    IMG_0796 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0798 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0797 (resized).jpg
    BB6 (resized).jpg
    BB5 (resized).jpg
    BB4 (resized).jpg
    BB1 (resized).jpg
    BB2 (resized).jpg
    BB3 (resized).jpg
    F79713BE-0381-4A46-B175-7F34B21E47E9 (resized).jpeg
    5DE58609-74DF-461E-9A9B-DD5C1B47D825 (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

Just picked up one of these this weekend.
    Powers up and lights up. Now I need to begin going through the volt checks.

Does anyone have any experience or advice with getting these to go through a cycle? It’s not even accepting coins at this point.

And where do put this 2 pronged cord?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

5DE58609-74DF-461E-9A9B-DD5C1B47D825 (resized).jpeg5DE58609-74DF-461E-9A9B-DD5C1B47D825 (resized).jpeg7BED211A-800B-4902-8DE5-9B7E4F160439 (resized).jpeg7BED211A-800B-4902-8DE5-9B7E4F160439 (resized).jpeg85FB2F9F-9899-4C66-ABC2-1FB104A8EA7F (resized).jpeg85FB2F9F-9899-4C66-ABC2-1FB104A8EA7F (resized).jpegB6AB83D8-B232-40B8-AB30-7937382CA545 (resized).jpegB6AB83D8-B232-40B8-AB30-7937382CA545 (resized).jpegF79713BE-0381-4A46-B175-7F34B21E47E9 (resized).jpegF79713BE-0381-4A46-B175-7F34B21E47E9 (resized).jpeg
    #2 2 years ago

I checked the pinball database and this machine doesn’t have the schematic to download. Unless you have the schematic to post advice would be hard to give. Maybe cross posting to em hangout or em arcade games would help.

#3 2 years ago

Ok, so my “0-9”unit is vibrating and buzzing upon startup. Therefore, it will not do a complete startup cycle.
    I tightened down the screws that attach the unit to the head...but I wonder if blades need to be cleaned or solenoid needs replacing?

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballdaveh:

I checked the pinball database and this machine doesn’t have the schematic to download. Unless you have the schematic to post advice would be hard to give.

#5 2 years ago

I've got a schematic for this. I'll be in touch.

I also have a semi-working game, but it's been on the back burner.

#6 2 years ago

thanks everyone! Really appreciate the help. I am adding some pics of the unit and will have a schematic in the next hour as well.

#7 2 years ago

OK, I have added some images of the unit in question.....and some pics of the hard copy schematics. I apologize in advance for the quality.

The "0-9 Unit", buzzes/vibrates aggressively upon powering up. The spring engages, but nothing happens past that.

Thanks

Joe

BB1 (resized).jpgBB1 (resized).jpgBB2 (resized).jpgBB2 (resized).jpgBB3 (resized).jpgBB3 (resized).jpgBB4 (resized).jpgBB4 (resized).jpgBB5 (resized).jpgBB5 (resized).jpgBB6 (resized).jpgBB6 (resized).jpg
    #8 2 years ago

usually buzzing is a plunger sucking into a solenoid coil and staying there because the coil power is stuck on. Don't leave the power on too long or you'll let some smoke out. How long you can go depends on the coil, but usually a minute won't burn up anything.

looks like the only thing in the 0-9 step-up unit circuit is a "sec-b cam 2 sw a" switch. I assume that's on a chunk of cams on the score motor. Is the score motor turning the cams?

if you could post some big picture pics - the entire back door, inside of head, bottom of playfield and bottom of cabinet if stuff is in there, that'd help.

Added over 3 years ago:

"I assume that's on a chunk of cams on the score motor." ... assumed wrong!

the switch is on the animation motor cams.

#9 2 years ago

Thank you baldwit.

Should I just replace that solenoid? In regards to the cams, they are not moving on the score motor.

I'll post some pics tonight.

#10 2 years ago

Pics of the back door, inside head

IMG_0796 (resized).jpgIMG_0796 (resized).jpgIMG_0797 (resized).jpgIMG_0797 (resized).jpgIMG_0798 (resized).jpgIMG_0798 (resized).jpg
    #11 2 years ago

Have you gone through the steppes and reels yet? On my Night Rider, the plungers were rusted inside the coils. Once I freed them up I was in business.

On these EMs, I feel its always a good investment of time.

Forgive me if you've already done so.

#12 2 years ago

I have not, thats a great idea...I’ll do that and we’ll see what happens.

Thanks!

#13 2 years ago

since the thing is buzzing, the coil power is stuck on.

score motor not running is a problem, especially if it's stopped out of an "index" position as switches may be held closed that should just briefly pulse closed.

the score motor "carry-over" or "run" switch is cam 1, switch A ... see red circle in pic below ... maybe.

I probably shoulda asked if the score motor ever runs at least 120 degrees.

if you can shove the cams counter-clockwise with your finger, the motor turns on and the cams spin at least 120 degrees, ignore all the following.

I'm making the following assumptions:

- cam 1 is the metal cam, cam 2 is the plastic cam.
    - switch A is the stack of switches I put the circle on. Is there a diagram of the score motor in the game or do you have a manual? Based on the labels ont he unit, the A label is highly likely to belong to the stack with the red circled switch.
    - the circled switch looks like it has a green wire and probably grey wire, which is what the schem says. However, so does the bottom switch on the horizontal stack, so this could all be wrong.

if the circled switch is stack A, you can just push that switch with your finger since it's not 120V, but you can also push it with something non-conductive like a wood meat skewer if you aren't comfortable touching live circuits.

you can also just clean the switch and with the power off, turn the score motor cams and make sure the switch closes with good overtravel.

see http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#clean ... lots of good info on that site/page about EM machines that apply to your game also.

tmi below
    -----------
    notice the metal cam has notches ... the idea is something kicks the motor on, and once the A stack has climbed out of a notch, the carry-over/run switch will keep the motor powered until the A stack falls back in a notch. The notches are index position(s).

the motor should never stop out of an index position.

bullseye cam 1 switch A (resized).jpgbullseye cam 1 switch A (resized).jpg

#14 2 years ago

Is the switch circled in purple below closed?

if yes, wire colors green and (whatever the color is on the schem for the 0-9 unit step-up coil ... looks like maroon-orange) on the blades?

if yes, if you turn the cams with your hand with power off, does the switch being closed make sense? i.e. when the stack goes up the cam lobe, the switch is extra-closed.
    bullseye cam 1 switch B (resized).jpgbullseye cam 1 switch B (resized).jpg

can't really tell from the angle what cams the switches are on ...

#15 2 years ago

Can you advance your score reels "by hand"? Meaning take it out and use the appropriate mechanism to advance the reel.

#16 2 years ago

Hi everyone...

Quick updates to your questions:

1. I have moved the plunger while powered off, and it seems to move very smoothly into the coil. However, with power on, I can't move it back down...I'm using a wooden spoon to try and move it out of the coil...it stays firmly locked in. I just don't think its rusty, but it did have a fair amount of general crud buildup (black). Should I remove the coil and pluger at this point?

2. I've have some success with identifying/manipulating the cams and switches on the scoring reel. I "cleaned" and moved the items in baldtwit's examples. In addition, I rotated the score reel by hand .....and the scoring reel rotated when i powered it back on! My best result so far is that it rotated about 180 degrees.

Many thanks again...this is great stuff.

Joe

#17 2 years ago

If you can, advance all reels to 5, then start a game. All reels should reset to zero.

This should give you an idea if it's the reels messing things up.

On these older games, there was generally lube gathering dust and junk, creating a nice thick sauce. No good.

If they reset, that's awesome, we can rule something out.

#18 2 years ago

thanks RonSS...I will do that tomorrow after work. Will post results.

Cheers
    Joe

#19 2 years ago

sigh ... ok, I blew it.

the switch powering the 0-9 unit is in a square box, which means it is on the animation motor unit.

either the switch is stuck closed or the animation motor cams are stopped not at an index position.

look for the switches with the green wires on a blades and match them to the locations circled on the schem below. Can't tell from your pics how the switch stacks are labeled. Cam 1 is usually the one closest to the motor, but no gaurantees.

check_sws (resized).jpgcheck_sws (resized).jpg

second pic is arcing in what I would guess is the score motor carry-over switch. If that is right, the score motor should not turn off if that switch stack is out of a cam notch. Clean/check the arcing switch. Some arcing is normal when the switch opens, but the switch contacts shouldn't be burned away too much.

a-1 arcing (resized).jpga-1 arcing (resized).jpg

deal with unpowering the 0-9 unit step-up coil first, then if the reels aren't resetting make sure the score motor is turning. Reel reset pulses come from score reset relay switches, and the score reset relay is toggled on/off by a score motor switch when the start relay is powered.

the score motor cam switch stacks labels are at the screw/stack end of the switch blades, so the horizontal stack in the arcing pic above is stack A. Switch A should be the one closest to the stack mounting bar ... e.g. the arcing one.

#20 2 years ago

ok, so some good news....when i put a quarter in...the score reel reset! The bad news is my 0-9 coil is still buzzing and overheating.
    I wiped sopme of the muck off of the plunger...b ut no no avail. I'm thinking i just need to buy a new one.

#21 2 years ago

So, i am taking baldtwit's advice on locating the switch that won't turn off for the 0-9 unit...and I found this golden nugget of info taped to the side of the inside head.

bbplans (resized).jpgbbplans (resized).jpg
    #22 2 years ago
    Quoted from JojoButterbean:

The bad news is my 0-9 coil is still buzzing and overheating.
    I wiped sopme of the muck off of the plunger...b ut no no avail. I'm thinking i just need to buy a new one.

You don't need a new coil, but you don't want to leave it buzzing.
    It's not stuck on it's own. It's energized and mostly because there's a
    set of switches on the Score Motor's cam that's closed when the Score
    Motor isn't running, and they're suppose to be open.
    Also, it looks like there's an in & out plug that you can adjust so the 0-9
    Unit isn't activate. It must be for a Match feature..
    I think you'll want to study the Score Motor's switches, and actually, if
    not played in quite some time, I go through an entire machinje before
    plugging it in..

#23 2 years ago

the switch powering the 0-9 unit step up coil is on the animation motor cams (different than the score motor, animation cam unit shown in last picture in the post #1) - specifically "section B, cam 2, switch A" per the schem and the pic of the piece of paper posted.

either the switch is stuck closed or the cams aren't indexed (stuck or motor not powered when it should be).

the sections are the groups of switches arranged around the cams. They should be labeled.

if you push the cams clockwise (looking at the cams), when section A cam 2 switch A closes the animation motor should turn on and run the cams until that switch stack falls into a notch again.

if you can't figure out which stack is section A, B, etc. post more pics from various angles that include the wires on the switches so people can see the colors.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from baldtwit:

the switch powering the 0-9 unit step up coil is on the animation motor cams

Oh yes. Square = animation motor.
    There's other possibilities, but very most
    likely those set of switches are closed..

#25 2 years ago

ok, so we're getting somewhere now! I rotated the cam so that B2A was not indexed into a notch and the 0-9 unit is not constantly charged. It worked.

I tried to coin up, the score motor rotated , but nothing else happens.

#26 2 years ago

i kept rotating the score cam while powered on and it would also charged up one of the stepper units.

I think we're moving in the right direction.Still no ball in play yet.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chicago-coins-bullseye-baseball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.