Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by HowardR
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

hi, i have been trying to figure out my Chicago Coins Astronaut. I am having issues with my score reel relays sticking on when i score points, and its seems to be different between both players.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

#2 1 year ago

You probably have some stuck playfield switches

#3 1 year ago

Would the same thing happen if they were too close? and not a big enough gap?

#4 1 year ago

Also, how do i unstick them?

Sorry New guy here.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Wingnut1419:

Would the same thing happen if they were too close? and not a big enough gap?

Yes, it can.

Quoted from Wingnut1419:

Also, how do i unstick them?
Sorry New guy here.

You need to find any stuck playfield switches if you have one or more stuck. Remove the playfield plastics if necessary and check to see if the rubber rings are pinching the switches closed because they are gapped too close. Take the rubber ring off and adjust the switch with a switch adjustment tool so that it stays just slightly open after you put the rubber ring back on and test to see if closes and makes contact by gently putting a little pressure on the rubber (like it would when a ball hits it).

You can turn the machine off and slip small pieces of paper between the playfield contacts to block them to narrow it down by pulling the paper one by one after you start a game.

If you don’t have a switch adjustment tool, order one from Pinball Resource or Marco Pinball. An absolute necessity for EMs. Don’t use needle nose pliers or anything else.

#6 1 year ago

Thanks Sea Wolf,, so you are talking the playfield switches as in slingshot bumpers and targets etc, nothing under the playfield?

Thanks so much.

Cheers

#7 1 year ago

Definitely start there. That’s the simplest to check. Also, if you can give a little more detail about when and what happens when you play a game. For example, you start a game everything resets and when the ball kicks to the shooter lane you hear a chime and a buzzing noise as one of the point relays sticks on. Check to see if any of the point relays are sticking on when this happens but don’t wait more than a few seconds or you can burn up a coil. The point relays should be labeled and most likely in the backbox. It’s also possible that a switch on one of them is gapped too close but I’d start with the playfield switches.

#8 1 year ago

The game starts and resets the scores, and plays normally, but once i score 10 points the relay sticks on and wont stop until i manually advance to score reel by hand, then the coil opens.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from Wingnut1419:

The game starts and resets the scores, and plays normally, but once i score 10 points the relay sticks on and wont stop until i manually advance to score reel by hand, then the coil opens.

Does Player 1's 10 point score reel solenoid try to advance?
If yes, then it isn't opening its end of stroke switch.
If no, then likely the switch on the 10 point relay that moves the 10 point score reel solenoid needs adjustment.

#10 1 year ago

Yes Howard, it looks like it tries to move slightly but doesn't actually move.

#11 1 year ago

I don't have the schematic, but the next step would be to hot wire the 10 point score reel solenoid to see whether full power can activate it.

#12 1 year ago

Howard, could you please explain " Hot Wire"? Sounds dangerous.

Thanks

#13 1 year ago

Also, it seems to work during the reset stage, that would make me think it works.....but i am new and just guessing.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from Wingnut1419:

it seems to work during the reset stage, that would make me think it works.

Good thinking.

Quoted from HowardR:

then likely the switch on the 10 point relay that moves the 10 point score reel solenoid needs adjustment

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chicago-coins-astronaut-2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.