Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Hello everyone,

I’ve had this 1975 Chicago Coin Top Ten in my family for the last 35 years...and now its in my garage. It probably hadn’t been turned on in the last 15 years or so. I’ve restored power and the back glass looks good and I’ve repaired a lot of the top of the playing field, all the lights are working, but now I’m at a standstill. It seems like the CAM motor runs continuously and there’s a buzzing coming from a part on the Coin mechanism. The score reset relay in the back box was going bonkers and knocking around and was arcing but I took care of that so that isn’t it (I don’t think). Now I believe it’s the CAM motor. The third CAM wheel has a contact that is arcing. I’m very new to this and would appreciate any help...pretty please? Below are some photos of the schematic of the CAM motor and this buzzing connection on the Coin mechanism.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

Which of these switches/relays is keeping the motor running?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3 1 year ago

During the reset sequence and when all score reels return to zero, a daisy chained series circuit of 8 score reel wiper blade switches and a closed switch on the start relay makes up the circuit to power the reset relay. Once complete circuit is made the reset relay will pull in and hold itself in thru it’s own hold switch. After reset relay pulls in it will release the start relay, score motor will continue to run until E1 normally closed switch opens the reset relay, completing the start sequence.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Which of these switches/relays is keeping the motor running?
[quoted image]

Appreciate the reply. I’ll try and figure out which switch/relay that is keeping the motor running when I get back to it tonight (live on the west coast)

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

During the reset sequence and when all score reels return to zero, a daisy chained series circuit of 8 score reel wiper blade switches and a closed switch on the start relay makes up the circuit to power the reset relay. Once complete circuit is made the reset relay will pull in and hold itself in thru it’s own hold switch. After reset relay pulls in it will release the start relay, score motor will continue to run until E1 normally closed switch opens the reset relay, completing the start sequence.

Thanks for the information. I believe the last time this game was up and running the score reset back to zero and then CAM motor went bonkers. I’ll check this out. I also moved one of the score reels to 10 points on player one and it wouldnt reset back to zero. Hmmm...separate issue?

#6 1 year ago

Each score reel unit wiper board controls 4 separate circuits.
#1 powers the score reel coil till it reaches zero position during reset.
#2 inline switch to complete circuit to the reset relay when the reel reaches zero position.
#3 9th position carryover to pulse higher scoring score reel.
#4 0-9 position used in scoring replays and match feature.
Dirty wiper board, wiper blade fingers not touching board, cracks on wiper plastic, and burn spots on the wiper board all can be problems keeping the score reels from working properly.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chicago-coin-top-ten-cam-motor-continuous-runn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.