Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Mopar
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tmp_14830-20170312_162845938012063.jpg
    tmp_14830-20170321_164111-1046696236.jpg
    tmp_14830-20170321_164100-352764675.jpg
    #1 7 years ago

I'm working on resurrecting a top hat ball bowler and almost have it fully working. I've just got a few little issues I'm trying to work thru that I need help with.

The beer frame game isn't working correctly. I have a copy of the schematics but they do not show the logic for the beer frame feature so I'm not sure how to troubleshoot it. I can manually operate the relay and the beer frame light will light on the backglass but it will not operate on it's own. I've tried changing the setting on the jones plug from mystery to 5th frame and it has no impact other than when it's on mystery the flash o matic motor does run. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Next issue I have is on the step up game it does not score correctly. The first two options work, I'm not sure of the exact values but lets say for a strike it's 30, 60, 90. When 30 is lit a strike will give the correct points, also 60 will work correctly, when the light cycles to 90 it still gives 60 points though.

Also the Red pin feature scores 50 points for every strike, not just when it's supposed to.

I'm not sure how the scoring logic works on these games so I'm at a bit of a loss.

#2 7 years ago

On the beer frame, it scores just like regulation and when set on 5th Frame (common for beer frame) a think
    I remember a light gets lit and states Beer Frame on the backglass. I believe whoever gets a strike when
    Beer Frame is lit, is owed a beer from the players that do not get a strike. But from what I remember, it scores
    the exact same as regulation..
    On Step Up, I'd check the Game Selection Step up unit making sure that the wiper is properly matched up with
    its wiper board, and the same with the Frame Step Up Unit.. Also, did you go through and clean those unit's
    and wiper board?
    I forgot exactly the scoring on Red Pin, but perhaps that would also be coming from mis-alinment and/or cleaning on
    the Frame and Game Selection Units.. Not in the game room, but I do still have a big ball Chicago Coin (Fleetwood)
    set up in the local VFW. I'll see about going there this week and checking out Red Pin. Not sure, but I'm thinking
    that it's 50 points for a Strike, and 70 in the frames when the Red Pin is lit (the red bulbs, or suppose to be red
    bulbs, one being on each upper side of the#1 pin..
    For now, I'd make sure the wiper along with the wiper boards are clean and making good contact with each other
    on the Frame and Game Selection Units, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to clean the rest of the step ups (including
    the Strike/Spare Step Up Units) if you hadn't already. I also lightly grease the wiper boards especially the Score Motor's
    wiper board which it's wiper is rotating upon practically none stop while being played..
    Let us know how you make out.. (T)

#3 7 years ago

Just thought of another note. It's been a while I went through a Chicago Coin Bowler, but I'm thinking
    maybe the Game Selection Step Up Unit's wiper may have individual spring loaded wipers. If so,
    you'll want to take the wiper off, hold it in a flat position with the wipers facing downward, and put
    a couple drops of light weight oil in each individual wiper holes, and move each up and down a couple of
    times making certain not any of he wipers are sticky..
    Maybe it's another step up unit that has the individual wipers, but I'm thinking maybe the Game Selection has..

#4 7 years ago

It just dawned on me. The Game Selection Unit has a double wiper board. It's a little pain
    to take those 4 small bolts off (don't lose the spacers), but well worth it to do a proper
    cleaning. I now remember there's 2 or 3 Step Ups that are double plated including the
    Score Motor and all should be one. I clean those wiper boards by putting a small amount
    of cleaner on a small piece of Scotch Brite, then wipe off cleanly. Then a thin film of
    light weight grease.. It's well worth it..

#5 7 years ago

Thanks for the info. It didn't occur to me that the logic might be contained in the selection stepper. That's one of the only steppers in the game I haven't gone thru. I'll strip that this week and see what happens. I made the mistake of using the troubleshoot via schematic vs just servicing all steppers like I normally do with an EM. The steppers really are a pain to work on in this thing, but I will say it's better then bending over serving the steppers in a gottlieb.

#6 7 years ago

More rewarding too.
    Those bowlers are the toughest thing i have run across.
    all those step units have to be working correctly. even if you are not playing a particular game, the steps all pass info between each other, and need to work properly or you will have issues like you mentioned.

#7 7 years ago

fattdirk when you get some time would you snap a few pics of your game? I have one of these that I am going to restore. The previous owner painted it so want to see what the original colors where!

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

fattdirk when you get some time would you snap a few pics of your game? I have one of these that I am going to restore. The previous owner painted it so want to see what the original colors where!

I think the only original paint might be the sides. The rest appears to be repainted.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I think the only original paint might be the sides. The rest appears to be repainted.

That would work as it will give me an idea as to the color scheme! I can use the brochure for the pattern but the brochure is in B&W so I have no idea as to the colors used!

#10 7 years ago

I'm curious about what the gutter colors are.

#11 7 years ago

It's been many years that I painted the Top Hat, and can't remember its original colors..
    But it wouldn't surprise me if Chris at "St. Louis Ball Bowlers" may be able to fill you in on that..
    (314)581-2488

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

It's been many years that I painted the Top Hat, and can't remember its original colors..
    But it wouldn't surprise me if Chris at "St. Louis Ball Bowlers" may be able to fill you in on that..
    (314)581-2488

I had emailed Chris a while back and he didnt have any pics or info on the Top Hat!

Quoted from Deez:

I'm curious about what the gutter colors are.

Looking at the flyer they're a darker color so whatever the dark color is on the machine it would appear the gutters are that color!

#13 7 years ago

Hopefully I'll get a chance to get a pic tonight. Kid was sick last night so didn't make it into the garage.

#14 7 years ago

tmp_14830-20170321_164100-352764675.jpgtmp_14830-20170321_164100-352764675.jpg

tmp_14830-20170321_164111-1046696236.jpgtmp_14830-20170321_164111-1046696236.jpg

#15 7 years ago

The gutter color right there go fine with the machine and actually sparks a bit of a memory
    of maybe being close to original, but its been 20 plus years since I restored those Chicago Coins..
    For one of them, I remember from I believe 3/8" think Aluminum stock I made a cover for the
    ash tray. The original covers are like 1/4" thick screened mesh..
    Both your glass look to be nice.. (T)

#16 7 years ago

We sell the original replacement ashtray covers for the ball bowlers. The game looks to be untouched, but to verify the gutter colors, just do some light sanding on them and see what is there.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bowlerguy:

We sell the original replacement ashtray covers for the ball bowlers. The game looks to be untouched, but to verify the gutter colors, just do some light sanding on them and see what is there.

Good idea. The gutters look to be repainted as they're a gray color that doesn't seem to match to me. I'm still working thru the mechanics but will sand some paint off to check the original color once I start with cosmetics.

Do you have a new bottom glass for a top hat? Mine looks ok in these pics but the paint is flaking off badly on the strike scores 50 points bar across the middle.

#18 7 years ago

Here's a better picture of the gutters.

tmp_14830-20170312_162845938012063.jpgtmp_14830-20170312_162845938012063.jpg

#19 7 years ago

Yes, we have the lower backglass for this game. We have all of the parts that are needed for the restoration. Front Shin Rubber, Chrome Rails and Risers, New Balls, New Lanes, Coin Box Sticker, Ball Stop,Coin Plate Cover and all of the electronics.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

The gutters look to be repainted as they're a gray color that doesn't seem to match to me.

Oh, my mistake. I thought the gutters looked to be purplish pink. Grey I'd say is the wrong color..
    There were issues with mostly all the Chicago Coins lower glasses that I've had..

#21 7 years ago

Thanks for the pics!!

#22 7 years ago

fattdirk it appears that the Top Hat and Champagne machines were the same color scheme. If that is the case than the gutters are probably the same as well. Look at the ebay link (below) and you will see the color scheme of the Champagne machine!

ebay.com link: Chicago Coin Champagne Big Ball Bowler 16 ft

#23 7 years ago

No wonder someone painted them gray. If it followed that same scheme that means the gutters were hot pink lol.

BTW - I cleaned the selection stepper yesterday and the scoring for step up is still bad and red pin is inconsistent. Any ideas?

#24 7 years ago

Is the scoring inconsistent and scores different multiples? If so, check the 10-90 Relay
    making sure the set of contacts that energize the score reel isn't too close. I've seen where
    they were set to close and vibrated back staggering the score reel. If consistently scoring the
    same wrong score, make sure when the Game Selection Unit is on Step up and Red Pin
    that the wiper fingers are squarely on the proper rivots on the wiper board.
    Most likely not, but perhaps a wire(s) may have came unsoldered on the backside of one of the
    Game Selection wiper boards..

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chicago-coin-top-hat-ball-bowler-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.