(Topic ID: 209377)

Chicago Coin Superstar

By Heaterguy

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pi2 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Are they worth restoring?
    I can pick this one up pretty cheap, owner says it "Doesnt work, I dont know whats wrong" I asked him if it powers up he said no.
    Could be as simple as a fuse! The PF appears to be in excellent condish for a 70's EM.

Are parts available? Can anyone educate me on this brand?
    I have repaired 2 williams machines, just not sure about this brand?

Pi2 (resized).jpgPi2 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

I'm not sure what your definition of "restore" is, but I'd just get it working and clean it up as best you could. I wouldn't clear the playfield or repaint the cabinet.

Doesn't work may mean bad fuse or no credits on the machine, who knows. I've never run across an EM that I couldn't get to work (as long as everything is there).

As far as getting the game going, it has all the same things inside that all EMs have...steppers, relays, score reels, score motors, etc. The game specific parts are going to be harder to find than a Willams, Bally or Gottlieb. Fortunately most of the time you don't need any specific parts. Generally cleaning and adjusting contacts is all that's needed. Parts like new rubber rings and bulbs is all you may need to have as far as parts are concerned.

Now, I only have one CC pinball game and I will tell you that the score reels are about the finickiest things I've ever worked on. They are super simple in design, but so hard to get to work right. They used a printed circuit board with traces that several wiper fingers ride along. The problem is the wipers put too much drag on the entire score reel. You have to make sure the traces are clean, lightly lubed and that the wipers have the right amount of tension on them. Too much tension and the score reel doesn't move correctly. Too little tension and it wont zero out when resetting or advance the next score reel when it reaches 0. So be prepared to spend time cleaning and adjusting them quite a few times.

#3 6 years ago

Thank you sir for your informative reply!
    Im still undecided whether or not to drive 2 hours to check this one out, that sexy PF is luring me in though lol

#4 6 years ago

From my 10+ years in the hobby and owning a good many Chicago Coin machines I will tell you the most typical problem on them is broken armatures on the large relays that are mounted between the score reels. Those armatures are pretty much impossible to find so you have to repair the old ones with epoxy if parts are not missing. After that - as said above - the score reels themselves can be a PITA to fix.

CC also had a few other "funky things" they did so they are not my first choice when buying machines. If you are handy and can grab it for something under maybe $100 to $150 it wouldn't be a bad buy. But if you get frustrated easy and don't like a challenge pass it by and purchase a Bally, Williams or Gottlieb sometime down the road instead.

#5 6 years ago

Thanks for your reply Too-many-pins!
    Im gonna try and do a lil research on these (CC) reels since it sounds like (if I purchase machine) they WILL be an issue at some point.
    Thanks again for the tips guys!

#6 6 years ago

Seller refused my top $ offer of $225 he wants at least $280.
    I declined.

#7 6 years ago

If you had to drive 2 hours one way to look at it I think you made the right choice.
    I have owned several CC pins over the years.
    I like them but parts are tough to get and there really is not much of a resale value here in New England.
    I currently own a Sound Stage.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chicago-coin-superstar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.