• Latest reply 4 months ago by MarkG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

top of board (resized).jpg
bottom of board (resized).jpg
Chicago_Coin_1975_Top_Ten_Schematic_Diagram_Continuous.pdf (PDF preview)
IMG_0657 (resized).jpg
photo cell (resized).jpg
rectifier circuit (resized).jpg
photo cell circuit (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hi,
I have a Chicago Coin Top Ten pinball machine. In the center of the playfield there is a spinner that racks up points when spun. The spinner scores accurately for the first hour or so of play. After about 70 minutes the spinner fails to register any score. Once the machine is turned off for an hour and then back on, the spinner works correctly for another hour.
In the circuit there are two electric eye relays, one 10/50 capacitor and two 4004 diodes. Is it possible for the capacitor or a diode to go bad when warm and then function properly after cooling off?
Thanks for any input!

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from shuffleshimmy:

Is it possible for the capacitor or a diode to go bad when warm and then function properly after cooling off?

I think both could, but an hour seems like a long time for them to reach that stage, as does another hour to cool off. Capacitor seems more likely though. Are you sure both are correct for the machine?

#3 3 years ago

Those are the specs/values called for in the parts list. I've had the machine about 15 years and it has done this from the start. It's not a big deal but I would like the machine to function properly. I'm retired now and have time to work on it.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from shuffleshimmy:

Those are the specs/values called for in the parts list. I've had the machine about 15 years and it has done this from the start. It's not a big deal but I would like the machine to function properly.

Definitely. If they're the same ones that have been in there I would consider replacing them.

#5 3 years ago

Thanks curriedog, I will do that!

#6 3 years ago

If you find the issue is the photo cells search DIY repair thread.
Search : Sound Stage cad cell
You will see the replacement cad cell i made a few years back to replace CC oem part.

2 weeks later
#7 3 years ago

I replaced the capacitor and two diodes. It did not make an improvement.
If I have a fan blow on the photocell I get an extra hour or two of play before the spinner stops scoring. I guess my next step is to rig up a new photocell per PinballlAir's suggestion. Is there a certain type/rating of cad cell I should use? I see some have different wattages.
Thanks

#8 3 years ago

PinBallAir:
Here are pics of photo cell, photo cell circuit & rectifier circuit.

photo cell (resized).jpgphoto cell (resized).jpgphoto cell circuit (resized).jpgphoto cell circuit (resized).jpgrectifier circuit (resized).jpgrectifier circuit (resized).jpg
#9 3 years ago

Is the diode missing on the right hand relay?

#10 3 years ago

Both diodes are there.
I hurriedly replaced the capacitor and diodes per someone else's suggestion.

IMG_0657 (resized).jpgIMG_0657 (resized).jpg
#11 3 years ago

When you say it stops scoring after 2 hours, is that 2 hrs of play or 2 hours of the machine turned on?
I am thinking that something is heating up, and it may well be the photo cell ,but it may also be something else in that circuit.
The drawing shows the different coils on that dc circuit. The only thing affected is the scoring for the photo cell?

#12 3 years ago

It stops scoring after 2 hours of play....I turn the machine off when it's not being played.
Everything else about the game functions properly most of the time. I do get a player or ball skipped once in awhile and those occur more often the longer the game is on.
If it will help, I can try leaving the game on tomorrow for 2 hours or so without play and see if the problem occurs.

If it matters, the game is set up for free play. I do not know what was altered to accomplish that.

#13 3 years ago

Free play is a different circuit and they likely just bent the end switch on the credit unit.

It could be that the photo cell is bleeding power to the relays and they overheat.
I am not sure what you should do.

You can light up the photo cell and see if the full 30vdc gets to the relay coils.
You can light up the photo cell and see if signal diminishes with time.
Play game for 2 hours and measure if full 30vdc makes it to relays. If it will not score, momentarily jump photo cell. See if it scores, if it does, the photo cell is the issue.

#14 3 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions and all the time you've put in...it's greatly appreciated.
I'll run those tests and get back to you tomorrow.

#15 3 years ago

I read the post that the relays seem locked on, attach the photocell with a jumper. If they seem locked on, disconnect jumper if they unlock jump out photocell and see if they score. That would mean the photo cell is stuck closed.

#16 3 years ago

I turned the machine on but did not play any games. I checked the spinner function every 30 minutes. After 2-1/2 hours the spinner stopped scoring. I checked voltages across the photo cell terminals: 19 when lit and 46 when the lamp is blocked.
I by-passed the cell with a jumper and the relays scored.
I then removed the red wire from the cell and checked voltages between the cell and red wire: 46 when lit and 0.5 when the lamp is blocked.
The relays buzz when the cell is lit. They stop buzzing when the light is blocked. They also stop buzzing if I remove a wire from the cell.

I don't understand where the 45-46 voltage is coming from. I checked the voltages with the digital and also analog multimeters and get the same reading. The rectifier circuit, the action kicker and the center pop bumper all read 30 volts (those were the easiest for me to access).

#17 3 years ago

I suspect the 45 volts is the combination of the 30 volts on one side and that 50 mfd cap on the other side.
I think you should build the photo cell.
Since the game scores when you bypass the photo cell, it would seem like that is where the signal stops.
If you have a home depot near you, they have the cad cell for oil burners. It is $8.99.
If you have a plumbing supplier or hvac supplier near you, the cad cell can be as cheap as $3.
I am just curious, on sound stage the spinner always landed in a "dark" position. Is that the case on top ten?

#18 3 years ago

In Top Ten the spinner can stop in either the dark or lit position.
I'm in a rural area. The closest HVAC shop is 3 hours away. I do have a Home Depot 1/2 hour away. They don't stock the cad cell but can have it in about a week. Ebay has a few different ones for $8.50 with delivery in 5-7 days. I think I'll go that route.
Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how it turns out.

#19 3 years ago

I received the cad cell and made the optical sensor per PinballAir's pictures. The cad cell exposed to the light was too sensitive. I cut 8 different block out masks with different size apertures to limit the light. An aperture 13/64" diameter gave the best results. The spinner did score points on slow revolutions but at faster revolutions the cad cell was not able to cycle quick enough and the spinner didn't score. For the time being I have installed the old photocell and will use that until I come up with a better alternative.
Now I have a couple more issues with the Top Ten that I have to work on....randomly skipping a player is the main one.
Thanks for all the help.

#20 3 years ago

Is the bulb a 44? And is the glass clean and not mirrored inside?

3 months later
#21 3 years ago

I have the same machine (love it!) but the spinner is an ongoing problem. I had my guy (Chris from Pinball Pirate in Benecia, CA) look at it and he ended up making a little (solid state?) replacement board, that has been working well, so well that you can score a lot of point really revving that spinner!
He might be able to send you one.

#22 3 years ago

I had good luck with the cad cell.
It would be more likely that the em scoring could not keep up with the cad cell in the OP situation.
IIRC the photo cell energizes a relay that intiates scoring.

2 years later
#23 1 year ago

Hi all,
I have all the issues with my Top Ten taken care of except for the spinner not scoring points when the game warms up. I have replaced the 2- 4004 diodes, the 10MFD and 1 MFD capacitors, the photo cell and the 2-relays.
The spinner scores correctly for the first hour during play then it stops scoring. If I just start the game (and do not play) after a 1-2 hour wait the spinner will not score. If I turn the game off and wait 20-30 minutes, I can get another 30-40 minutes of play time with the spinner working when I turn the game back on.
When the spinner stops scoring, the relays vibrate but do not energize/de-energize completely.
I have taken voltage readings on the components (in circuit) when the spinner is working and when it is not. The readings are identical. Here are the readings (DC voltage) of each component with the photo cell covered/uncovered.
Photo cell 46/16
Left diode 0/-16
Right diode .1/.7
10MFD capacitor 0/45
1 MFD capacitor 47/30
Rectifier 46/16

As far as I can tell, the rectifier is the only component in this circuit that I have not replaced. Could this go bad if it warms up? Is there another component in the circuit that I'm missing?
The majority of the circuit is near A-26 on the schematic. The spinner relay is also at B-9 and B-14.

I appreciate any assistance in helping me rectify this on-going issue.
Thank you!

Chicago_Coin_1975_Top_Ten_Schematic_Diagram_Continuous.pdfChicago_Coin_1975_Top_Ten_Schematic_Diagram_Continuous.pdfbottom of board (resized).jpgbottom of board (resized).jpgtop of board (resized).jpgtop of board (resized).jpg
9 months later
#24 4 months ago

I replaced the rectifier and after hours of play the spinner is still performing correctly.

#25 4 months ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

If you find the issue is the photo cells search DIY repair thread.
Search : Sound Stage cad cell You will see the replacement cad cell i made a few years back to replace CC oem part.

I think this is the link:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-pinball-parts-fabrication-show-off-your-homeade-pin-parts#post-4951629

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chicago-coin-spinner-stops-scoring-when-machine-is-warm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.