IMG_5785_(resized).JPG
IMG_5784_(resized).JPG
Capture2_(resized).png
IMG_5782_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
0Juke-Box-Work-B_(resized).jpg
Schematic_A1_(resized).jpg
There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

I recently picked up a CC Sound stage that would only light up and that was it. I got everything to work and playable
but the targets A thru F lites
suppose to stay lit when those targets is hit and they don't. They score, they chime and lite lights on contact but something is not locking the lite on, on any of them. I manually hold them on (Like A & B on suppose to lite the bonus lane etc) and get a (plug in) relay buzz.
All (plug in) relays check out, is there a contact on the lower board, score motor etc that is not making etc? I yet cant make heads or tails of the schematic

#2 7 years ago

Hi mrbanjo
I look in ipdb at schema of "Juke Box": http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1324 . At schema-A/B/C-21/22/23/24 are drawn "A,B,C,D,E,F"-Relays, also Special-Relay and Extra-Relay. I do not understand the capacitors "10MF, 50 Volt" - I do not understand the octagon-symbol around the switches drawn there - (Self-Hold-Switches ?).
You write: NONE does lock-in --- maybe the Switch at schema-C-20 is faulty (?): "Normally-Closed-Switch on Outhole-Relay" - closed during play as the Outhole-Relay pulls-in AFTER You have lost a ball.
Want to look for this switch - it has wires "Green" and "Grey-Blue" soldered-on. Greetings Rolf
P.S.: How about "Special-" and "Extra(Ball?)-" Feature ? Do these features "stay-on" ? They are also hooked-on onto the Outhole-Relay-Switch.

#3 7 years ago

The octagon symbol with a switch in it represents a contact within the plastic enclosed plug in relays. There are one for each A thru F
as well as special etc. they check fine. xtra ball lites fine and gives xtra ball, special lite will lit if you manually hold the two corresponding letters in so they stay lit and in turn the special lite will lite, but as you are holding the letter targets in the enclosed relay for that particular letter......... buzzes

#4 7 years ago

Hi mrbanjo
the problem is: I have never seen the inside of a Chicago Coin Pin. I can look at the ipdb-schema "Juke Box" (I do have some knowledge of Gottlieb / Williams / Bally) and I can do some guessing. "Guessing" --- You can do on Your own - so may want to read the following as "loud thinking" (?) may want to try ?

You get "(plug in) relay buzz" - I understand "buzzing relay" - I do not understand "plug in". Extraball-Relay does fine (Self-Hold-circuit is established (?) once activated: IT stays pulling) - the Special-Relay also (with legitime manipulation). DO THESE Relays buzz when steady pulling ?

I would like to know "Does A- (B,C,D,E,F)-Relay buzz when I manipulate / cheating - "Self-Hold-Current". You write "lite lights on contact" - does that mean AAA: when ball hits the target THEN light is lited" OR - BBB: For to "get Light lited" You MUST press the anchor-plate of the relay ?

IF You have AAA: does the buzzing really / truely comes CCC: only from this relay --- or does the buzzing comes DDD: only (maybe: also ?) from "100-points /1000-points Relay or Score-Drum" ?

IF (if) You have AAA and CCC: I give up - I have no idea: With AAA You feed "Pseudo-Self-Hold-Current to the relay (through permanently closed playfield switch)". Sorry, I have no explanation for the buzzing.

IF (if) You have AAA and DDD: In the schema I see: Playfield-Switch is a three-bladed switch: Ball rolls onto the playfield-Target - blade-A is mounted on the target, blade-A is moved -> blade-A makes contact to blade-B -> "blade-A AND blade-B" are moved -> they make contact to blade-C means ALL 3 blades have (now) contact. You must find out: Is the Score-Drum activated through "blade-A blade-B" OR through "blade-A blade-C" ? With a Jumper-Wire You then connect the TWO blades for Relay-A (B,C,D,E,F) - no ACTIVATION OF Point-Relay / -Score-Drum. Then listen to the buzzing -> Same amount of buzzing as when Extraball-Relay steady-pulls ?
If "same amount of buzzing": We can look further --- if "different buzzing": I give up ---I do not have another idea.

IF (if) You have BBB: I would try to use two Jumper-Wires and make "jumpered-connection on both sides of the coil" - connecting Coil-of-relay to "FUSE !!! near transformer-power" and connecting to "transformer-returning-side". THEN listen for the "buzzing".

AGAIN: I did some "loud thinking" - I do not know the solution - I am merely guessing and I write what I may try. Greetings Rolf

#5 7 years ago

Thx I appreciate the help!
The CC Sound Stage/Juke Box has a bank of 10 enclosed plug in relays on a circuit board. A-B-C-D-E-F are the top 5 relays(right side of pic)
On the playfield there are 5 targets A thru F. When a target is hit, the lite in front of the target momentarily lights on contact, bell rings, scores etc but the light does not lock on, on any of the A-F targets. The object is to hit all 5 targets (and all 5 targets lites should remain on) this would turn on several bonus lights. Example...Target A & B lites locked on should activate a bonus lite/lane.
If I manually hold say A&B target back so A&B lites stay lit, that's when I hear the A&B encapsulated relays buzzing but the bonus lane does lite. Of course soon as you let go they go off. Ive went thru all contacts on playfield, back box and lower board burnished, no loose wires etc other than this everything works as it should. Frustrating for sure

IMG_5728_(resized).JPGIMG_5728_(resized).JPG

#6 7 years ago

Sorry I meant 12 plug in relays, the top 6 are A thru F. Also this machine has a built in tester for these relays and they all check out so I don't feel that these relays are an issue. Test board as shown

IMG_5740_(resized).JPGIMG_5740_(resized).JPG

#7 7 years ago

Hi mrbanjo
thanks for answer, description and pictures. The picture in post-6 shows the socket for testing the standard relays. I see two sockets for connecting the coil. I see 4 times 3 sockets (4 rows top -> down). I believe each such relay has four 3-bladed-Make-and-Brake-Switches. The wires to these 12 sockets determine how the M+B-Switches are used - 2 blades may be used for a neeeded (pin-logic) Normally-Open-Switch.

I refer to the ipdb-manual "Juke-Box" -> page-20 (ori-18) -> A-Relay and 3000-Relay and Photocell-Relay and Change-Relay have "Capacitor AND Diode ? and Resistor ?" - these Relays are different to the others.
B-, C-, D-, E, F-, Extra-, Special-Relay: To me they look identical - SWAPPABLE. I would mark (on the capsule / housing) EACH of these relays - so I always know, example: THIS IS Original-B-Relay.

Extra-Relay works fine - B-Relay does not establish "Self-Hold-Circuitry, B-Relay buzzes". I would swap B-Relay and Extra-Relay and test functionalty.
I predict: Extra-Relay in "Original-Place of B-Relay" will NOT establish Self-Hold-Circuitry (no pulling forever). Question: Does Extra-Relay in "Original-Place of B-Relay" BUZZ ?
I predict: B-Relay in "Original-Place of Extra-Relay" WILL establish Self-Hold-Circuitry (PULLING forever). Question: Does B-Relay in "Original-Place of Extra-Relay" BUZZ ?

On a given place (example: B-Relay) there are 3 chances of "fault": 1) the encapsulated Relay itself is faulty, 2) the condenser (?) is shot, 3) the wiring to the socket is no good.
With test (above) You can answer the question: "Is B-Relay itself faulty" ? (((Extra-Relay in place of B-Relay give different behaviour of the playfield-functionality))) "is B-Relay itself good" (((Extra-Relay in place of B-Relay give same behaviour of the playfield-functionality)))

For now I would put-off the question (is it good ?) "Condenser" - that would meen: Unsoldering -> swapping places -> solder-on again of swapped "Condenser on B-Relay" "Condenser on Extra-Relay" ...

For now I would sneak-in into the pin a (well defined) fault -> the behaviour (after sneaking-in) of the pin tells us about the "buzzing problem".
At schema-A/B/C-21/22/23/24 are drawn "A,B,C,D,E,F"-Relays, also Special-Relay and Extra-Relay. At schema-C-20 is the "Normally-Closed-Switch on Outhole-Relay" - wire-color-green and wire-color-grey-blue are soldered-on.

Sneak-in a stripe of paper into this switch -> make it OPEN. Then do "test-original-layout" (B-Relay on original place, Extra-Relay on original place) -> the "Extra-Relay" will not establish "Self-Hold-Circuitry (because of sneaked-in stripe of paper in Outhole-Relay-Switch) - but the question is: When You do manipulate (as Your are used on the "faulty A- through F-Relays") -> question: Does NOW the Extra-Relay also buzz ? Means: "Is there a difference in "feeding through closed self-Hold-Circuitry" feeding through manipulated playfield switch" " ? Must we look in detail the wiring of wire-color-grey-blue ? - Have ALL these socket a wire-color-grey-blue soldered-on ?

Depending on the results of Your tests: "Swapping condensers" and do similar testing (about the same tests as written above) ? Start a new topic in pinside "How to test an condenser ?" Greetings Rolf

#8 7 years ago

Thx Rolf, I will investigate. Since none of the six A -F lights lock on, I don't expect a relay but something in common to all six
I will check your suggestions!

#9 7 years ago

Hi mrbanjo
according to schema and manual: A-Relay and 3000-Relay and Photocell-Relay and Change-Relay have "Capacitor AND Diode ? and Resistor ?" - these Relays are different to the others.
B-, C-, D-, E, F-, Extra-, Special-Relay: To me they look identical - SWAPPABLE.

So I would swap "B-Relay" and "Extra-Relay" to test "buzzing ?" and to test "Self-Hold-Circuit works". Do all tests with "B-Relay" and "Extra-Relay". Greetings Rolf

#10 7 years ago

Hi Guys.
Guessing here, from your description, I would guess, your dealing with an RC timer circuit.
is it possible, that when the target is hit, it gives you a short time to do something else too? to add to the score.
dont have that pin ,but would guess on right track there.
if so, find that circuit, and locate the signal "in", which should pulse when target is hit, then release, but the cap is still charged, and bleeds off through the resistor, and diode.
if you are gonna remove the caps for testing anyway, just replace all 3 parts in all the targets relays.
the caps dry out, the diodes leak, and the resistors change value in time.
so, shotgun in new parts, and all circuits shud time the same.

#11 7 years ago

I believe part of my problem is I am only getting 3.2 V on all the target lites instead of 6.6.I noticed they were dim when I hold the switch on. Maybe not enough voltage to hold the enclosed relays on hence the buzzing?
Diving back in!

#12 7 years ago

Oh playfield lites bright at 6.6V

#13 7 years ago

Ok.....traded out the relays, nothing different.
The CHANGE relay functions well and works correctly on the playfield
PHOTOCELL relay works as should on playfield
A Thru F lamps are only getting 3.2 V and visibly dim
All other playfield lamps are 6.6V as should be.
If I can figure out why the voltage is low that me fix all the problems because all issues relate to those targets
lites not staying on.

#14 7 years ago

So, based on what I've read, A - F don't hold when hit. So I'm assuming that Special and Extra relays don't hold either? If that's true then based on the fact that the Change relay is working says that the voltage to those relays is correct. Therefore, the only thing in common that I see is the Out Hole relay. Can you do a continuity check on the Out Hole relay? If that's open then it will never hold. As for the 3v, that seems like it should be easy to find. Is it only the A - F lites that have the 3v? What about the playfield display lites or bumper lites?

#15 7 years ago

And the buzzing only happens when you hold in one of the A - F targets and stops buzzing when you stop holding?

#16 7 years ago

Correct no special lite, no xtra lite as ex: xtra lite only would work if lites A & B are holding on
Correct..........A-F lights dim 3.2 V
The playfield and 2 bumper lites at 6.6V
When I manually activate the (and hold) any of the A-F targets, those corresponding plug in relays buzz, quit when I deactivate/let go

#17 7 years ago

Also thinking about it, holding the target switch engaged may not be original to the action of playing the game.
I know the target is momentarily hit, and something holds that relay to keep the lite on for that particular target
my thought is being low voltage to all target lites, maybe relays are half voltage therefore takes 24-30V to hold them energized?
I was going to check voltage to the relays this evening but you say since photocell and change relay is working fine the voltage to all relays should be there

#18 7 years ago

it sounds like you need to find the switch that provides power to those lites.
you got a switch that is not conducting well, hence the 3.2 volts

#19 7 years ago

Yeah, clip one lead to the ground and the other lead to "+" side of the capacitor at any of the relays A - F. It almost sounds like you're missing a ground somewhere. Who knows. As far as I can tell, the A - F should do the following: Target A gets hit and closes to energize the A relay coil. That then closes "A" re switch which completes a path to ground via the Out Hole Relay. Once that happens, the connection should stay energized until the Out Hole relay opens. It should be that simple unless I'm missing something? I think checking the voltage will tell a lot.

#20 7 years ago

Hi Folks
I got from mrbanjo's description: "Extra-Relay" works (establishes Self-Hold-current, no buzzing). First fault: A-, B, C, D, E, F-Relay do NOT establish Self-Hold-Current.
Second fault: A-, B, C, D, E, F-Relay do buzz when the playfield-Switch is pemanently closed (some way of forced Self-Hold-Circuitry).

From the ipdb-schema of "Juke Box" (4-player version of the pin) I read: THESE Relays are identical. To find out about "Buzzing" I suggested: Put "maybe faulty B-Relay" in place of "good Extra-Relay" -> if "B-Relay sitting in place of Extra-Relay" works -> the buzzing is NOT in the relay.
To find out about "No Self-Hold-Circuitry" I suggested: Put "good Extra-Relay" in place of "faulty B-Relay" -> if "Extra-Relay sitting in place of B-Relay" has NO Self-Hold-Circuitry -> "Fault NO Self-Hold-Circuitry" is NOT in the relay.
His answer (post-13): "traded out the Relays - NO difference" I can read "this way" or "that way" ...

I show a snippet of ipdb-schema-Juke-Box - "marked green" is "making points (I believe)", "marked-orange" is "Initial-Current flowing to the B-Relay", "marked-Red" is how Self-Hold-Circuitry should be established.

I suggested: "sneak-in a stripe of paper into "Switch on Outhole-Relay - keep the switch OPEN" -> now to have the EXTRA-Relay keep-on pulling: MANIPULATION on the playfield is needed - question: (doing so) Does the Extra-Relay ALSO buzzes ?

I believe: Wire-color-grey-blue comes from "Switch on Outhole-Relay" to "Extra-Relay". Then a wire runs daisy-chained from Extra-Relay to A-, B, C, D, E, F-Relay - and the daisy-chain-wire has broken-off.

The talked-about "Change-Relay" --- it is NOT HOOKED-IN into the Self-Hold-Circuitry.

I would look for "good connection ?": On ALL sockets - the Number-8-Lugs --- do they have connection and are hooked-on into wire-color-grey-blue ? Greetings Rolf

0Juke-Box-Work-A_(resized).jpg0Juke-Box-Work-A_(resized).jpg

#21 7 years ago

OK per your diagram above....The A thru F relays do not hold neither the special and extra relay.
The only ones working are the photocell, spinner and change relay which are not in this circuit.
I have checked the closed contacts on the outhole relay and they have continuity as well as the Gray/blue wire has 37.8 V
I pulled a relay (The B) and checked voltage at socket 8.....37.8V so its getting correct voltage
Checked the voltage at the B target switch R/G 37.8 V
So in theory the relay should hold?
Still have dim target lites at 3.2 V
Jumpered a good ground to target lites ground circuit......nothing different
I am confused on the ground here it can't be the green shown above?
Transformer in schematic doesn't really say ground

#22 7 years ago

So every bulb that are associated/activated by these non holding relays A-F /special/xtra are DIM at 3.2V
These relays BUZZ when target switch are held on manually

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from mrbanjo:

I have checked the closed contacts on the outhole relay and they have continuity as well as the Gray/blue wire has 37.8 V

So with nothing pushed in such as pushing the "B" target you're measuring 37.8V on the Grey/blue wire? This is while you have the other lead of your meter on the "Green" wire? If that's true then there must be a switch closed somewhere or a wire touching somewhere it's not supposed to. If you have your meter lead on the green (common/gnd) and the other lead on pin 13(the "+" of the capacitor) of the relay "B" while the relay is still installed you should measure 37V. Pin 14(the "-" of the capacitor) should measure the same voltage as pin 13. That's because the "B" target should not be pushed in.

OK, how about this:
Remove relays A - F, Special and Extra.
Measure voltage from the "Green"/common to pin 8 of relay "B". That should not measure any voltage. If it does measure a voltage then there's a problem. If it doesn't measure a voltage then put the "B" relay back in and measure the same thing. Although you could use the "A" relay socket pin 8 because the pin 8's are all connected in this A-F. It should still not measure anything. If it still doesn't measure anything then push the "B" target. Does it light up and hold?

Quoted from mrbanjo:

I am confused on the ground here it can't be the green shown above?

Sorry, that's because you're measuring AC voltage so it wouldn't be ground really but it's more like a "common" reference. So if you put your "black" negative lead on the green and use that as your reference you will measure the 6V, 12V and 33V on the transformer correctly.

#24 7 years ago

In the diagram above what does the diamond shape with 13 in it (at end of green trace)represent? Plug in?
Does not say in my schematic legend

#25 7 years ago

(using B relay just because of Rolf's diagram above, no target pushed sitting idle in game play)
37.8V on the gray/blue on the out hole relay, contacts closed as shown
which feeds terminal 8 on B relay, 37.8V there OK
Checked voltage feeding the B target switch r/g wire 37.8V
I will try your suggestions tonite and let you know!
Thx to all for taking your time to help me figure this out!!!!!

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from mrbanjo:

In the diagram above what does the diamond shape with 13 in it (at end of green trace)represent? Plug in?

That refers to another connection in the schematic. Sometimes it's easier and cleaner to do this rather than draw more lines everywhere. So on the outer edge of the schematic the top/bottom are the A,B,C,etc. columns and the left/right are the 1,2,3,etc. rows. So the diamond shape with A13 means that that line is connected to the diamond shape with C24 in it and vise versa.

Quoted from mrbanjo:

37.8V on the gray/blue on the out hole relay, contacts closed as shown
which feeds terminal 8 on B relay, 37.8V there OK

As far as I can tell there should be NO voltage on terminal 8 at this point.

Schematic_A13_to_C24_(resized).jpgSchematic_A13_to_C24_(resized).jpg

Schematic_A1_(resized).jpgSchematic_A1_(resized).jpg

#27 7 years ago

in Rolfs post #20, the Red line at top of page, is hold circuit.
it shud lock on if the switch at the top, "too fuzzy to read it", is closed.
then shud stay locked till the EOS switch on the score reel RELEASES it...just guessing.
for the low lite volts, there has to be a switch on game over, start relay, feature relay, tilt relay, something that controls the 6volts to the lites is not clean....again, just guessing

#28 7 years ago

Hi
I was busy making another snippet of (ipdb) schema "Juke Box". "Catch86" made also - and (post-26) shows how "A-13" and "C-24" have permanent connection.

mrbanjo, sorry - I read from Your posting "Extra-Relay functions". Corrigenda in my mind: NO - it also does not work.

The "buzzing" is one problem - "pulling-in BUT NOT stay-pulling" is another problem. Look at my JPG -> "light-green lines" - I believe: Starting at top of drawing -> SOMEWHERE a "light-green marked" wire has broken-off or the "Switch on Outhole-Relay" is no good -> through "original color wire-Grey-Blue" -> to Lug-8 on A-, B ... Relay and the daisy-chain to "Lug-8" on all other relays: wire broken-off or Switch no good.

I do not know the pin - I do not know the transformer (wiring, lugs) - pin runs on some 40 Volts - I FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE "suggesting" "jumpering by using lugs on the transformer.

Look at my JPG -> "Right Flipper Button" has soldered-on "wire-orange". "Right Flipper Button" has soldered-on "wire-green". (((THERE I can clip-on a Jumper-Wire to use "original-wire-color-green", I do not want to use the functionality of the Flipper-Button - I only want to clip-on my Jumper-Wire)))
The other end of the Jumper-Wire "clip-on at Lug-8 on A-Relay" -> toggle-on the pin -> start a game -> close (on playfield) the switch for "A-Relay-function" -> WHAT happens ?
I hope for "A-Relay pulls-in and keeps-on pulling" - I also hope for "NO Buzzing".
To end the feature You must toggle-off the pin or You must disconnect the Jumper-Wire. Greetings Rolf

0Juke-Box-Work-B_(resized).jpg0Juke-Box-Work-B_(resized).jpg

#29 7 years ago

Rolf:
I was going to use a jumper as you suggested from the right flipper (voltage 37.8 there) but there is already 37.8 on pin 8
of A thru F. I pulled all those relays and checked each pin 8. Relays can been seen actually chattering (with Buzz) when energized with the target buttons.

Catch 86 says:
OK, how about this:Remove relays A - F, Special and Extra.Measure voltage from the "Green"/common to pin 8 of relay "B". That should not measure any voltage. If it does measure a voltage then there's a problem. If it doesn't measure a voltage then put the "B" relay back in and measure the same thing. Although you could use the "A" relay socket pin 8 because the pin 8's are all connected in this A-F. It should still not measure anything. If it still doesn't measure anything then push the "B" target. Does it light up and hold?

There IS 37.8 V on all pin 8 (A thru F) with relays removed
So there SHOULD NOT be any voltage going from the green common, thru the normally closed out hole switch to pin 8 on above diagram?

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from mrbanjo:

going from the green common, thru the normally closed out hole switch to pin 8 on above diagram?

That's correct. Basically you're measuring voltage across the out hole switch. There shouldn't be.

#31 7 years ago

Hi mrbanjo
I had the theory "Self-Hold-Circuitry through Lug-8 Lug-12 as pulling A-Relay closes the switch" - But (theory) Self-Hold-Circuitry cannot be established because "Switch on OUTHOLE-Relay is faulty-open" --- this theory You have proven WRONG: With the Jumper-Wire You made SURE (dark-green-line): The connection "lightgreen-line" ls FORCED by the Jumper-Wire ---"darkgreen" guarantees connection.
I am frustrated - theory is proven wrong.

I do NOT understand "what for" is "diode" - "what for" is capacitor. (((wild, wild, crazy theory: Relays were built for 24 VAC or ??? DC -> Chicago Coins uses the diode to make these relays "work in Chicago-Coins pins" I do NOT know.)))
You and catch86 are talking about measuring 37.8 Volt:
MAYBE, maybe, maybe a preowner mounted the 110 VAC-Line-Chord FALSE - exchanging "POWER-Line" and "Returning-Line" --- so through transformer windings YOU HAVE POWER-SIDE AND RETURN-SIDE (37 VAC) exchanged - You have POWER at transformer-Lug-GREEN (instead of having POWER a transformer-Lug-WHITE).
"Flipper-Coils, Bonus-Unit-Coil etc. NOT HAVING DIODE" have no problem witch "changed wiring" --- maybe, maybe A-Relay (having a diode) -> not working because "changed wiring".
Want to test my wild, wild theory: in the schema at A/B-1 I see: 100,000 Relay 1st Player and (nice to see) I see Diode and I see capacitor -> Test -> try to make MORE than 100,000 Points -> question: Does 100,000 Relay 1st. Player pull-in and stay pulled ? does it BUZZ ? You will prove the new wild, wild theory right (buzzing) or You will prove theory wrong (100,000 Relay works as it should). Greetings Rolf

#32 7 years ago

Before I proceed, I pulled the playfield and set it aside so I can access the bottom to check voltages. Now keep in mind everything on this machine functions as it should except the A-F relays, special and extra, holding on and the lamps associated with them, have half the voltage of 3.2 volts. I
The transformer has 2 wires on one side Black and Yellow, incoming power, black at 122V yellow at 0V. (common)

The other side has 5 taps:
2 R/W wires have 36.7V
G has 42.7V
W has 72.4V
Org has 55.1V
Open lug (not used) 74.9V
Isn't this screwy? Where is my 6V and 12V as shown in diagram?
I have 6V on my playfield lites how is that when I have these voltages coming out of the transformer?
So as said previously I should have O voltage on the green side of the normally closed outhole switch therefore O voltage on all lug *8's
on plugin relay sockets. Because the green side of the schematic is common with O voltage? Correct?

#33 7 years ago

Yes. The green wire should be the green in the schematic. Put one lead on the green wire of the transformer and the other on the 10 amp fuse. Either one. Meter should read 6v. Until you can read that then you won't have a good starting point.

#34 7 years ago

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#35 7 years ago

Ok, I do have 7.1V green on transformer to fuse.
I was using Green ground of the incoming 120
So all my voltage checks I can leave the NEG of meter on the green tap of transformer?

#36 7 years ago

Yes. Now what you measure you can believe.

#37 7 years ago

Powered up and in play:
Ok now I have that right, I do not show any voltage on the #8 pins of the relay sockets of A-F
I do not show any voltage on the grey/blue wire on the out hole relay switch
I do show continuity between the grey/blue and the green on the out hole relay switch
I do show 34.8 V on pins 13 & 14 on the relay sockets
It all should work....hmmmm
Pin #8 shows 0...with or with out relays in their sockets
Now I can try as Rolf suggested jumper 34V right flipper org wire to pin 8?

CATCH 86WROTE:

OK, how about this:
Remove relays A - F, Special and Extra.
Measure voltage from the "Green"/common to pin 8 of relay "B". That should not measure any voltage. If it does measure a voltage then there's a problem. If it doesn't measure a voltage then put the "B" relay back in and measure the same thing. Although you could use the "A" relay socket pin 8 because the pin 8's are all connected in this A-F. It should still not measure anything. If it still doesn't measure anything then push the "B" target. Does it light up and hold? ..............NO It is same

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from mrbanjo:

Now I can try as Rolf suggested jumper 34V right flipper org wire to pin 8?

No.

Quoted from mrbanjo:

I do show 34.8 V on pins 13 & 14 on the relay sockets

Wait, with the relay removed you get voltage on both pins 13 and 14? So for this troubleshooting let's stick with all relays removed and just focus on Relay B since that's where Rolf started. So if the relay is removed you measure 34.8V at pins 13 and 14. Do you see the same voltage at pin 12? Do you measure 34.8V on both sides or one side of the "B" target? If you measure 34.8V at pin 13 and 14 of the removed relay then I would say that the 10MF 50V capacitor is shorted, but I find that hard to believe all of the capacitors are shorted. With all of the relays removed check the voltage at pins 13 and 14 for each relay location.

#39 7 years ago

Hi mrbanjo, Catch86 +
some facts and thoughts:
I do not understand "what for" the diodes and capacitors in SS-pins are. I read about "diodes for cutting Back-lash HIGH-Voltage (?) when coil looses electricity - the circuit-bord, transistors would blow" - about capacitors "reduce "burn" on contacts" - I DO NOT KNOW.

The snippet of schema (post-20) shows: A diode is used on A-, B-, C-, D-, E-, F-, Special-, Extra-Relay --- TWO (why ?) diodes are used on Change-Relay. Photocell-Relay and Spinner-Score-Relay are driven by DC (ipdb-schema). Capacitors are used (one for each relay).
The snippet of schema (post-26) shows: A diode is used on 1st-, 2nd-, 3rd-, 4th-player 100'000 Point-Relay. Capacitors are used (one for each relay).

There are other Relays (example Coin-Relay) - they do NOT have a doide, they do not have a capacitor.

Widely used is "Self-Hold-Switch on a relay" - Initial current flows -> relay pulls -> activates many switches - ONE is the Self-Hold-Switch -> closing -> establishing Self-Hold-Current forever (until another switch in this Self-Hold-Circuitry opens).

My first theory was: Switch on Outhole-Relay is faulty - NO Self-Hold-Circuitry - maybe, maybe the buzzing comes from "manipulated Initial-Current forever". mrbanjo has proven this theory: "WRONG".

Maybe, maybe Chicago Coins used "widely used DC-Relays (DC, but cheap) - and mounted the diodes to get "DC from AC-Source". Maybe the diode is shot -> AC flows (?). Maybe, maybe a preowner mounted a new Line chord BUT made faulty connections - Power is on "wrong transformer-Lug" -> maybe, maybe the diode is still good but not working properly (because "Power-Side and Returning side on the transformer changed places - I do not know.

So I suggested: Do make MORE than 100'000 Points -> do the 100'000-Relays properly work ?
IF "YES": My theory of "new line-chord mounted faulty" will be / would be proven WRONG.
Another suggestion: Look for "Type-print-info" on all these Relays -> "SAME" Relays ??? -> If so - want to try: Mount the "B-Relay" in place of a 100'000-Relay (and make more than 100'000 points) -> what happens ?
Mount a 100'000-Relay in place of the B-Relay -> what happens ? Greetings Rolf

#40 7 years ago

Wait, with the relay removed you get voltage on both pins 13 and 14? Yes ....33.6V

So for this troubleshooting let's stick with all relays removed and just focus on Relay B since that's where Rolf started.

So if the relay is removed you measure 34.8V at pins 13 and 14. .....Yes...33.6V

Do you see the same voltage at pin 12? .........Yes

Do you measure 34.8V on both sides or one side of the "B" target? One side .......R/B wire 33.6V

If you measure 34.8V at pin 13 and 14 of the removed relay then I would say that the 10MF 50V capacitor is shorted, but I find that hard to believe all of the capacitors are shorted.

With all of the relays removed check the voltage at pins 13 and 14 for each relay location.

A thru F.......33.6V
3000 relay....13.8V
Special.........33.6V
Extra...........33.6V

then

Spinner Relay.......(14)......0 V (13) 15.1 V
Photo Relay...........(14).....15.1V (13) 12.7V
Change Relay........31.7V both 13 & 14

#41 7 years ago

Rolf.....transformer is wired correctly now that I was instructed which green I needed for "common"
100,000 relay is in backbox, not a plug in relay. Oh and ALL plug in relays are the same, have the same specs on them as pictured.

IMG_5782_(resized).JPGIMG_5782_(resized).JPG

#42 7 years ago

Thoughts on this diode? Common to all?

Capture2_(resized).pngCapture2_(resized).png

#43 7 years ago

I guess if the diode was bad I wouldn't have anything on pin 13?

#44 7 years ago

This just doesn't make sense. Do you know how to test a diode with your meter? If you do then great, but do it with the pin unplugged. If you don't then just measure resistance across it and then reverse your meter leads and measure again. Another thing is to unsolder one lead of the capacitor and measure the voltage at pin 13 and 14.

#45 7 years ago

IMG_5784_(resized).JPGIMG_5784_(resized).JPG

#46 7 years ago

With diode in circuit

IMG_5785_(resized).JPGIMG_5785_(resized).JPG

#47 7 years ago

Reverse leads

IMG_5786_(resized).JPGIMG_5786_(resized).JPG

#48 7 years ago

Out of circuit

IMG_5787_(resized).JPGIMG_5787_(resized).JPG

#49 7 years ago

reverse leads

IMG_5788_(resized).JPGIMG_5788_(resized).JPG

#50 7 years ago

one end of capacitor out of circuit:
0 volts pin 14
13.6 V pin 13

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chicago-coin-sound-stage-a-thru-f-target-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.