Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
riviera3 (resized).jpg
riviera2 (resized).jpg
Riviera 1 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

My first post, though I have read lots of interesting and helpful posts by others. I'm trying to fix a pinball for a friend, have a schematic, but I think some things are either mislabeled or not labeled. The issue is , it's a four player game, but when I try to set up the second player, the coin unit resets and goes back to single player. I can manually set up multi players, but when the score motor runs (which it does when I push the credit button on the door), #2start relay resets it! Got any insight for me?
Thanks in advance.

#2 6 years ago

Post to IPDB (or email me) a high quality scan from Staples ($2) or Kinkos ($7) and I'll try to help you, even by phone. The reason I insist on the high quality scan is that I've tried to help many times with phone pic schematics and every time they're blurry, incomplete or in multiple pieces, making them too hard to read.
Make it easy for us to help you!

Added over 6 years ago: Thanks to jeffc for the schematic. I submitted it to IPDB.

#3 6 years ago

Thanks for the quick response! I'll see what I can get soon.

#4 6 years ago

Howardr,
No Kinkos or Staples locally. I scanned and stitched with ICE, turned out clear,but it's in three columns. Was going to post to IPDB, but I'm not the original author, and don't know the copyright status..... I'll send the files to you if you give me your address!

#5 6 years ago

Please post them here as well.

#6 6 years ago

o.k., but it looks like they have to be posted separately, because the files are too large. Here's the first column.

Riviera 1 (resized).JPGRiviera 1 (resized).JPG

#7 6 years ago

And the second....

riviera2 (resized).jpgriviera2 (resized).jpg

#8 6 years ago

riviera3 (resized).jpgriviera3 (resized).jpg

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from OldPinfixer:

when I try to set up the second player, the coin unit resets and goes back to single player

This switch on the 1st Ball relay controls whether the game resets to first player (via #1 Start relay) or sets up the second player (via Coin Unit stepup solenoid). The next step is to see what's happening with the 1st Ball relay and the circled switch on it.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#10 6 years ago

Thanks, HowardR. I'll look at that tomorrow. Played it a bit tonight as is, and noticed that as soon as the fifth ball was done playing, the score tallied up, then reset to "0" and first ball.......

#11 6 years ago

Thanks for the help. The contact on the first ball relay was out of adjustment,causing a coin unit reset with each credit button push. But I still have a question a out that relay. It's labeled #1 start relay, but is that the contact or the coil? Would it not chatter if that contact was on the start relay? The same with #2 start relay. Also the 1st ball relay. How does that work?

#12 6 years ago

And the game wants to reset itself. Play any number of players, and after the last ball, it resets and zeros all the scores,

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from OldPinfixer:

And the game wants to reset itself. Play any number of players, and after the last ball, it resets and zeros all the scores,

Is the game set up for free play? Does this happen even with zero credits?

#14 6 years ago

I did set it up for free play by closing the contacts on the reel. I'll try resetting those contacts, because it worked properly before.

#15 6 years ago

Even with a piece of paper in the end of spool switch, it still resets the game.....

#16 6 years ago

(1) Did it always do this?

In any case here's the startup sequence

Credit button activates the
Credit Reset relay which activates the
Game Reset relay which activates the
#1 Start relay which activates the
#2 Start relay.

(2) Which is the first of those relays to activate now?

#17 6 years ago

It appears there was a spec of metal in the contacts for the credit reset relay, closing the game reset relay. Played it quite a bit and worked fine. New rubbers and two score reel solenoids on the way for player four, and it can go home! Thanks!

3 months later
#18 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

... Thanks to jeffc for the schematic. I submitted it to IPDB.

IPDB finally posted this schematic today, after over 3 months.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chicago-coin-riviera-problem?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.